UKC

Rab Vapour-rise / Torque

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chrismith 27 Dec 2019

Hello,

On the search for a new light-ish weight soft shell jacket (ruled out the Borealis as it just seems to lightweight) to be mainly used for hill walking on driech summer days/as a winter mid layer and I've narrowed it down to either the rab vapour-rise (alpine, not guide) or the rab torque.  

I've tried on both of these (as well as many other brands) in my size and they both feel great but I'm stuck between the two so I'm after anyone else experiences with these jackets for this kind of activity.  It strikes me as though the torque would have a bit better wind/water protection and the vapour-rise would be more comfortable working hard uphill.  Any thoughts?

Run_Ross_Run 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Chrismith:

Have had both and they are totally different, imo. 

Originally had the VR alpine in medium and it was awesome. Was able to wear it standalone, with a base layer or with an insulator and it worked every time. Fit and feel was awesome (fit until I lost too much weight that id). Decided to replace it with a size smaller torque jacket and hated the replacement. Nowhere near as comfortable, too restrictive a cut to use it for layering, too cold in any circumstances and a hood that was just a massive annoyance (appreciate it caters for a helmet). The only positive I could find was its toughness (for a soft shell). Its gone now and don't miss it at all. 

V R for me every time. 

bouldery bits 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Chrismith:

I've got a VR which I love for Autumn / Spring in the fells. I think it's the alpine. It's got a decent hood and vents well. Keeps the wind off pretty well too.

I also have a Borealis and can't really work out what it's for. 

Post edited at 21:37
 greg_may_ 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Chrismith:

I’ve a Torque which I use climbing and the odd slower walking day. It’s pretty bombproof.

i have an older Boreas which I’ve used running, climbing, biking, hiking, general hill duties. Chuffing love it.

joe.wahab 28 Dec 2019
In reply to Chrismith:

I've used one of the older editions of the VR alpine for about 4-5 years as a do it all midlayer. Working hard walking in the winter it's great; as a climbing layer on windier days in the autumn/spring out in the hills/on the coast it's been useful. I've even run in it on windy/rainy days. The inner liner ripped away at the shouders/hood about last year, but it's still alright. Great bit of kit, done me very well. There isn't really any downsides imo. 

OP Chrismith 28 Dec 2019

Thanks for all the advice and experiences folks, much appreciated. Ordered up the VR today, found it for £90 in my size medium, couldn’t say no!

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...