UKC

Mountain equipment tupilak pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ibexguiding 28 Dec 2019

Has anyone us the ME tupilak pack? I'm looking at getting the 45+ but wanted to ask other people opinions on it before committing to the price.

Thanks in advance  

Mr Messy 29 Dec 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

Bump

j.anstee 04 Jan 2020
In reply to ibexguiding:

Probably going to sell my 45l as surplus to requirements, hardly used and in very good condition. Let me know if you are interested and i can do it for a good price! 

Connorh 04 Jan 2020
In reply to ibexguiding:

I had one briefly, sent it back for a refund. It was fairly comfortable, packed down really well, material seemed durable, was waterproof, Feature rich with nothing going to waste, really light weight. 

However after about 6 trips the Ice axe attachment thing and top lid fastener both broke off. Its ability to carry rope when fully packed was poor (rope falls off)  the ice axe attachments were far too tight making it basically impossible to attach your tools with gloves on, the compression straps would frequently come undone and they're a pain to refasten. I decided to just cut my loses and send it back because it was expensive and because I want a pack I know will last and one that wont frustrate me every single trip. The bar is pretty high when its £60 more expensive than everything else. 

So it might have just been my bad luck, Everything seemed pretty high quality. Got an FL 45 instead

Post edited at 21:59
 bonebag 05 Jan 2020
In reply to ibexguiding:

I bought a 42l Ogre at the end of October and after one use it had a 2cm rip in the fabric a few cm's below the fastening point. Took it back to the store I bought it from and they returned it to Mountain Equipment for repair which to be fair is being done free of charge.

The conclusion of the store and Mountain Equipment was I had cramponed the fabric but on the day in question my crampons remained inside their canvas bag inside the rucksack. So not certain how the rip happened myself but will not query it as after all it is being fixed for free. Could have been done by my ice axe as it was attatched to the outside of the sack. Either way doesn't boost my confidence in the sack.

I know it's not a Tupilak but believe it is made of the same or very similar fabric. Fortunately at £140 it's not as expensive as the Tupilak but I do wonder how it is going to perform under the harsh Scottish winter conditions which is why I bought it. 

99ster 05 Jan 2020
In reply to ibexguiding:

Go to agree with this:

"Got an FL 45 instead."

Lurking Dave 06 Jan 2020
In reply to 99ster:

As did I - great in all respects except... the sternum strap buckle doesn't double as a whistle (OK, I may be picky, but this is one of those features that should be standard, no exceptions).

Does anyone know what size buckle Arc'teryx use? seems an unusual size.

Cheers

galpinos 06 Jan 2020
In reply to ibexguiding:

I have a 37+ (which is a bit bigger than the Arc FL45L which is 33L). Other recent sacs I have to compare against are an Ascentionist and a Mutant*. I have had none of the issues mentioned above.

Pros:

Properly lightweight

Carry's really well (surprisingly comfortable with a heavy load) - Trudging around in Scotland in Winter with a full pack plus skis hunting for snow was fine.

The back panel is quite stiff - Easy to pack as it sits straight and I don't to pack as carefully as the Ascentionist (quite handy in winter to just stuff kit in after topping out in bad weather).

Carry's a rope really well (for a no lid sac) - Contrary to a previous poster, I've found it carries a rope really well. I had the rope slipping off issue with the Ascentionist but not with the Tupliak. The Mutant carried a rope well but was a lot harder to overstuff.

The "grappler" hook is really easy, great in winter with gloves.

Unsure:

Roll top - The pack fabric is very robust and waterproof meaning things stay dry in the sac but the roll top for me is at times genius and others a pain - The jury is out.

Cons:

Lid Pocket - The idea is great  for the floating lid pocket but it sometimes gets a bit stuck and inaccessible depending on how you pack the sack. A lot easier to get into than the FL front pocket though when packed from my one outing with a borrowed one.

Overall, it's my favourite all round sac I've had. Comfy to carry, feels out of the way to climb or ski in, robust, waterproof and simple.

galpinos 06 Jan 2020
In reply to bonebag:

> I know it's not a Tupilak but believe it is made of the same or very similar fabric. Fortunately at £140 it's not as expensive as the Tupilak but I do wonder how it is going to perform under the harsh Scottish winter conditions which is why I bought it.

Not saying this is why is tore but it's a very different fabric I think.

bonebag 06 Jan 2020
In reply to galpinos:

Ok. I did wonder after the event. Maybe I should have checked closer before I bought it. Too late now I know. Will make the best of it when it comes back and if I have to replace the Ogre will look more carefully next time. I guess the price difference between the Ogre and Tupilak says something.

galpinos 06 Jan 2020
In reply to bonebag:

I'm not sure it'd make a difference but thought it worth mentioning.

connor 06 Jan 2020
In reply to ibexguiding:

Also it's really bloody expensive! 

bonebag 06 Jan 2020
In reply to galpinos:

Thank you galpinos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...