UKC

MSR Arctic Pump?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

How necessary is this for extreme cold weather use? Looking to get an XGK as my canister stove was in survival mode on my last trip. By the time you add in a service kit, extra fuel pump and fuel bottle it's some serious money. Never heard of an Arctic pump before! 

TobyA 30 Dec 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Didn't even know they made a special one. Surely everyone has been using MSR standard pumps in cold conditions forever? My Whisperlite International has been used plenty down to the high (i.e. low!) minus twenties and I've never had problems with the bog standard pump it came with in 1991!

In reply to TobyA:

> Surely everyone has been using MSR standard pumps in cold conditions forever? 

That's what I figured, but I feel like it's one of those where if I don't buy it, I'll be out there in the wild cursing the fact I didn't get one. Do you take a spare pump with you on long trips?

marsbar 30 Dec 2019

Maybe look for 2nd hand bottles or even the stove and then you can buy a new pump?  

If you are going somewhere cold and remote then it might be best to have it, but I don't know from personal experience.  

My whisperlite pump did go, but not in cold weather, and to be fair it is only a couple of years younger than Toby's.  

Post edited at 17:44
 TobyA 30 Dec 2019

No, just the standard spare and repairs kit that they sold back then.

london_huddy 31 Dec 2019

We used both a standard modern XGK and Whisperlite at -20c in Greenland without any issues. Never heard of an Arctic Pump!

Where are you going?

I’ve used the Stanadard pumps on XGKs and Wisperlites on Denali. They worked fine, most of the time, but did freeze and stop working on summit day. We did get them back working no problem though.

If you’re going somewhere remote I’d take two stoves and at least one spare pump.

I’d also get used to using your stove, striping it down and cleaning it. 

Tom

GHawksworth 31 Dec 2019

Regarding the arctic pump, from MSR website to "Use only below 0° C" and the only real thing that they state is different is "extra-robust seals to prevent leaks in arctic conditions". I wouldn't be too concerned about getting it. maybe just an extra spare seal or two than you'd normally take.

For the rest of it, it seems once you buy one, thats the only stove you ever need. I hear of so many people still using their whisperlites, XGKs, dragonflies etc from the 80s and 90s. design hasnt really changed in that time either.

Post edited at 17:55
 Damo 01 Jan 2020

Well apparently they're the thing to use, surely they wouldn't sell something that wasn't necessary, and, they're blue...

But yes, over 10 or more Antarctic expeditions (plus Denali etc) if I didn't use my Primus Multifuel (metal pump) I only used a regular XGK. Early on I did have a couple of issues, one was o-rings shrinking (apparently) and not sealing as well, but this rarely happened. You're much more likely to roll or rip one during assembly.

I think I only ever had one cracked pump itself, which leaked fuel and caught alight, but otherwise the regular XGK pump was fine down to -48C-ish.

From enquiring it seems the Arctic pump also has a leather pump cup. On balance I think I will just get the normal stove and a repair kit. The route we are planning has the odd hut with wood stoves so complete failure wouldn't be devastating. Thanks all!

Toerag 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Damo:

>  Early on I did have a couple of issues, one was o-rings shrinking (apparently) and not sealing as well, but this rarely happened.

^^this - was speaking to a colleague who's done a number of arctic trips recently who had this happen to him. The fireballing stove / pump got flung out the tent sharpish and they were ok, but it could have been terminal.

Damo 07 Jan 2020

> From enquiring it seems the Arctic pump also has a leather pump cup.

Hmmm, interesting. My early-2000s Primus Multifuel has a leather pump and I never really liked it. It deformed/squashed on one side early on and never really re-shaped to original. I've also had it freeze, as it absorbs. But that said, I used it on various expeditions for over 15 years and the leather cup never actually gave a problem and the stove worked well - but before each trip I'd pull it apart, see that it was dry, oil it and massage it back into shape. Happy Finish!

Post edited at 20:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...