UKC

ARTICLE: Defining a Decade - Climbing News of the 2010s (Part 2)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 02 Jan 2020
News of the decade: 2015-2019. The latter half of the 2010s brought 9c, 9A and new horizons in women's climbing. In January 2015, online engagement with climbing-related searches had grown by 69% from January 2014 thanks to Dawn Wall mania, while searches related to climbing walls rose by over 200%. This was a turning point for the growth of climbing and the sport's profile, which only continued to increase following the announcement of Sport Climbing's Olympic inclusion in 2016.

Read more
 rexybo 02 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Jakob Schubert repeated El Bon Combat in December 2018 and he also suggested a downgrade to 9a+.

Don Jebus 02 Jan 2020
In reply to rexybo:

Felipe Camargo has also repeated it giving 9b. 

gingerbex 02 Jan 2020

No comment recognising the loss of two of the UKs most notable winter climbers and  mountaineers - Andy Nisbet and Martin Moran?

olddirtydoggy 03 Jan 2020

Whilst I don't personally have any leaning one way or the other on the Brexit ref I didn't think this comment was necessary:

"Despite the dark cloud of Brexit tainting the UK's political and cultural image"

I come here for climbing news and media, not politics.

owensum 03 Jan 2020

Sad to observe the frequency of alpinists who have done amazing things and then died. Kyle Dempster should be added to the list, and his and Hayden's ascent of the Ogre.

Michael Gordon 05 Jan 2020

Surprised to see no mention of Boswell/Robertson's onsight of big Scottish grade X routes. To many these routes are more significant than Banana Wall.

In reply to Michael Gordon:

They are mentioned in the Banana Wall section. It was impossible to include a lot of significant ascents and it's by no means a be-all and end-all list. We worked out that Nick and I trawled through ~3,600 reports to compile this! 

Also, some obituaries and news would have been covered in an article (in a bigger interview,for example) rather than a news report, which makes them harder to track down if it's not off the top of our heads.

Post edited at 11:36
 Cog 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Meltdown is in twice.

Le Sapeur 05 Jan 2020

Please stop complaining about the lack of your favourite climbing news stories making the list. The original article states....

'Here are some global news highlights (and some lows) from 2015-2019."

The key word being 'some'.

Michael Gordon 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> They are mentioned in the Banana Wall section.

Ah OK fair enough!

Alex Riley 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Cog:

Two different routes

Cog 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

The same route in two different years, one has now been removed.

LeeWood 06 Jan 2020

Just read the 2012 letter 'Sharp End - Letter to my son' from Michael Kennedy to Haydn Kennedy. 

Which leads to reflection on risk - such a void between the athletic achievement on a 9b+ and the objective dangers on remote supra-alpine peaks. And we take an interest in , and support all such exploits, being part and parcel of the client-sponsor web. Would the risk takers risk less without sponsorship ?

Interesting that Haydn's exit was not directly related to sponsored activity - many skiers are lost in off-piste avalanche scenarios.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...