UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Speak To Me Softly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 04 Jan 2020
Speak To Me Softly This week's Friday Night Video takes us inside the mind of climber Jenny Abegg. We follow Jenny up a route as she experiences a range of fears and emotions, whilst fighting self-criticism from the voice we all have in the back of our heads. An original and though-provoking piece from director Henna Taylor.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

That's great, thanks!

andyman666999 07 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Worst video in a while. 

GrahamD 07 Jan 2020
In reply to andyman666999:

Some nice shots and climbing sequences, but the back 'story' is pseudo intellectual twaddle.

john arran 07 Jan 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Just watched it, having avoided doing so until now partly because it sounded like it was going to be Americanised, pseudo-intellectual twaddle.

I was way more impressed than I expected. And, apparently in contrast to your opinion, I felt like I barely registered the quality of any climbing sequences, as I was caught up in the inner mental turmoil (which I assume to have been the director's intention). It can't be easy to draw viewers into empathy for a mental state far removed from their own, but I think in case case they managed to achieve that, certainly for me.

I'd certainly urge anyone else who may have avoided watching it for similar preconceived reasons as mine, to give it a chance.

PaulJepson 07 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC News:

This is the doom I feel whenever I climb trad seacliffs. 

GrahamD 07 Jan 2020
In reply to john arran:

In so much as it caused such contradictory responses, it was clearly a good film on one level.

French Erick 08 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Not my bag, but they get to make the film, they might as well choose the topic after all! 

Enty 09 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Strange one this. I started watching and thought here we go again more pseudo intellectual twaddle. Then something clicked. I realised what route she was on, then what pitch she was on and remembered I've been up there aiding the pitch and trying to free some of it and then I remebered the Alex Honnold video where he's soloing it. Then I started to enjoy the video.

E

Michael Gordon 09 Jan 2020
In reply to above:

I'm not even sure how the 'pseudo-intellectual' criticism might be applied anyway. It's just about the voices in our head / talking ourselves up a route - I don't think it is trying to be an intellectual analysis.

Enty 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Of course. That was only for the first couple of minutes though.

Preconceptions. You know, American girl, climbing something hard, then sitting on a rock claiming how this rowt changed everything................

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...