UKC

Travel insurance add on for climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NigelHurst 06 Jan 2020

Does anyone have a recommendation for add on insurance for climbing - already have annual travel insurance but they don't cover climbing and don't do an add on so need a separate policy for a trip to Costa Blanca.

I can get a policy from places such as dog tag, sportsdirect etc. but they also do the usual travel cover for delays/cancellation etc that I already have covered and unsure how having 2 lots of cover for that would complicate matters in event of a normal travel related claim.

J1234 06 Jan 2020
In reply to NigelHurst:

I use Austrian Alpine club, no daft questions about age or health.

nikoid 07 Jan 2020
In reply to J1234:

I'm not saying it's the best or cheapest solution, but if it was me I'd get BMC insurance for the Costa Blanc's trip.

In reply to NigelHurst:

I use GetGoing as they only have a small surcharge to cover some pre-existing medical conditions that I have. If you tick yes to one of the questions on the application form you are directed to a simple online health questionnaire to declare any conditions, they then confirm that you are covered for each each of them. In comarison, a couple  of years ago I decided to go back the the BMC and I did their over the phone health screening, and their underwriters then wanted a small fortune - over £100 - for 10 days in Ariege and still wouldn't cover one of them. Getgoing have a series of bolt-on for sports, I think that number 5 is the one you need for sport climbing. Just before Christmas I took out 8 days cover for a trip to El Chorro, total cost just under £45 and it covers all my health issues and includes travel insurance as well as rescue and medical. I also have Austrian Alpine Club membership (which broadens the regions you can climb) in, but as one post above notes, while they have no medical questions the small print does put some limitations on cover for pre-existing medical conditions which is why I take out the backup.

Post edited at 10:16
 barry donovan 07 Jan 2020
In reply to NigelHurst:

Best insurance is the one who sort the trauma out then get you home and pay out the loss.  

BMC for all of the above.  From rescue helicopter to car delivered back and reimbursed for losses - I made a claim and it was well sorted.  The only good insurance is the one that pays out.  

J1234 07 Jan 2020
In reply to nikoid:

If it's not the best or the cheapest, why would you use it, that is not rational.

johncook 07 Jan 2020
In reply to barry donovan:

We had the same experience after my partner had an accident in Spain. The BMC took over all the organising, paid for everything and ensured we were fully reimbursed for any losses. They even told me to claim for the train fare and extra parking cost to get my partners car from the airport parking. Can't fault the BMC insurance at all. (And any profit goes to help the BMC carry out it's various work on behalf of the outdoor community!)

Have fiends and acquaintances who have used other (slightly) cheaper insurers and found that they were unhelpful/obstructive/found reasons not to pay/didn't cover much. I decided some time ago that it was not worth the gamble just to save a few quid a trip. Stick with those who will pay out.

spenser 07 Jan 2020
In reply to barry donovan:

For what it's worth the BMC's insurers were excellent about getting me home after an accident in July. They were however pretty clueless about getting my van home (the AA eventually took responsibility and low loaded it back home for me but for the first week no-one had any interest in helping me out).

Andy Hardy 07 Jan 2020
In reply to NigelHurst:

With snow card it used to be possible to adjust the level of cover for each section of the policy when getting the quote, on their website. Maybe you could buy a climbing policy with all the travel stuff set to minimum?

Edit I said "used to" cos I haven't used them for a couple of years

Post edited at 13:31
 nikoid 07 Jan 2020
In reply to J1234:

Because I'm not the sort of person who agonises about such things. I tend to sort out a workable solution and move on. I'm not that bothered whether it's the optimum solution, so long as it's a fit for purpose solution.  I think that's reasonably rational.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...