UKC

Cape Wrath footwear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 07 Jan 2020

I am walking the Cape Wrath trail in May.

Still unsure on whether to go with boots or trail running shoes. I know it is going to be boggy and wet under foot.

Do I just accept the wet feet but have the chance of drying them overnight or try and keep them dry in boots.

I have seen blogs and reports of people using both but no clear winner.

Advice welcome

Ben

Andypeak 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

The general advice you will get is to wear trail runners, however I ignored this advice and wore leather boots with gaiters. I also carried one pair of waterproof socks in case my boots got saturated,but  arrived at Cape Wrath having never got feet wet and never needing the waterproof socks. 

elliptic 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Are you going to be walking or running it?

For me if I'm going to be plodding with a weight on my back then I like having dry feet. OTOH going fast and light mountain marathon style (even if not actually running that much!) then shoes are fine and it doesn't really matter if they're still damp in the morning (but take spare socks or hut booties for the overnights, and keep them dry at all costs).

Post edited at 09:51
OP Ben_Climber 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

Good work Andy, dry feet for 200+ miles in Scotland is impressive. Did you have decent whether?

I have been toying with the idea if boots and gaiters.

In reply to elliptic:

Just planning on walking it, far too much nice scenery to rush it!

Andypeak 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Brilliant weather. Did it last May in the dry spell. Didn't even put on my rain coat.

It's probably best to walk it in whatever you are most used to walking long distance in. 

In reply to Andypeak:

Lucky bugger! Fingers crossed for some of the same.

Boots it is then.

Andy Johnson 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I've walked the trail route (more or less) from Glenfinnan to Sandwood Bay, but not in a single journey.

I think its pointless to try to keep your feet dry in such terrain. It just leads to faffing around trying to avoid mud etc. My advice is take footwear that is light, quick drying, and supports your feet given the load you're carrying and the terrain. For me this is "mid" fabric boots without a goretex lining and merino socks.

On easier terrain, or with just a day-pack, I might use trail running shoes. But with a backpacking load on the kind of terrain you'll find on the CWT, i prefer that stability of mid boots. I never wear gaiters outside of winter conditions.

Post edited at 11:36
Wositri 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Mid trail runners with a good grip ( Inov8 graphene e.g.) without a goretex lining and Sealskinz or Darn Tough Hiker socks. Best solution for a 130 kilo guy like me.

Done Cape Wrath Trail two times and additionally every may walking part of the trail with a 18 kilo backpack. Nearly the whole time sleeping in my tent ( exception my favourite Schoolhouse boothy)
I recommend feet prepartion with something similiar to Hirschtalg.
Never have had a problem with blisters. Nearly always wet feet and walking for long hours as I am a slow walker. Fresh socks and some air in the evening - that is my solution.

Have a nice trip and fine weather and don` t forget your gaiters.

Post edited at 13:44
Removed User 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Whatever you wear you're going to get your feet wet.........

Did it in May 2005, before it got nationalised, absolutely loved it!

Paul Evans 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Boots. Alltberg Tethera. Super comfy, not that heavy, whatever you use, get them well broken in.

Enjoy, it is stunning....

Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...