UKC

Alpine easy walking venues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 14 Jan 2020

There's pressure from Mrs Wilko for some easy Alpine walking with mechanical assistance and LOTS of wildflowers. Also, we are thinking of somewhere we could easily reach from UK by train. I have a few ideas, but would welcome any input based on the experiences of others. The demand for flowers means limestone areas have a head start.

spenser 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The Stubai possibly? I'm not sure how easy it would be to get there by train but shouldn't be too horrendous from my experience of Austria's railway network.

Rob Parsons 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The Queyras might suit? Can't recall much mechanical assistance in the area though.

cragtyke 14 Jan 2020
In reply to spenser:

Very good bus service from Innsbruck to stubaital and a very nice light railway as far as Fulpmes.

Toerag 15 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Dunno how they rate on the flowers front, but there's some nice stuff doable with lifts / trains in the Oberammergau / Garmisch area of Bavaria by train*.  How many days walking are you looking for?

*train/fly to Munich, then train down to Garmisch or change in Murnau for the branch line to Bad Kohlgrub / Unter/Oberammergau. No need for a car.  You can continue on the train westwards to Reutte or south to Innsbruck from Garmisch, but I've not done stuff down there.

Mike Peacock 15 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Dolomites is possible (and has some amazing wildflowers). I did it using the Paris-Venice sleeper train then used Collett's for accomodation and Venice-Corvara/Badia minibus transfer.

Plenty of cable cars and seat lifts around, and buses up to the high passes.

Post edited at 15:16
 Doug 15 Jan 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Col de Izoard & Col Agnel are 2 361 m & 2 744 m and are crossed by roads so even if there are no lifts its possible to start walking at a reasonable altitude. If you do go to the Queyras I'd recommend the Belvedere de Viso for a mix of plants, geology & scenery.

OP Rog Wilko 15 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks to all who've replied - some food for thought. 

Re flowers - needs to be a limestone area (otherwise Chamonix would be favourite).

Also, not intending to hire car.

McHeath 15 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

If it's meadowfuls you're after rather than the shy individuals among the rocks, then getting the timing right is important before they're mown. I was on the northern side of the Bernese Alps for the whole of last summer; up until the end of June the alpine pastures were stunning, after that just simply pretty  

Toerag 16 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

What about The Eiger area? You can get a train up to 3000m if you really want to! The walk under the north face from the Eigergletscher station down to Grindelwald is quite pleasant, albeit a lot of downhill.

Dark-Cloud 16 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Bagnes valley is a doddle by train from Geneva, head to Verbier for mechanical assistance, the upper meadows around the resort are amazing in summer

felt 16 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Remember to get to the high alpine pastures before the cows are taken up (early July in the Queyras). One day, thigh high floral bliss; the next, stubble and poo. The cheese improves, mind.

OP Rog Wilko 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Yes, Grindelwald had crossed my mind.

OP Rog Wilko 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks, I'll have to look that up.

OP Rog Wilko 17 Jan 2020
In reply to felt:

Yes, I've had that experience, too.

Rigid Raider 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A recommendation for Sixt - Fer a Cheval, which is just up the valley from Samoens. You could get there by bus from Cluses on the TGV line. I was Rambler's Holidays Leader there in summer 1980 and there's enough walking to keep you busy for a fortnight with the possibility of some two-day trips, for example over via Chalet D'Anterne to the Brevent and cable car down into Chamonix, an absolutely superb little expedition. 

Post edited at 09:57
 Ben_Climber 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Dolomites is amazing and would be my choice.

Grindelwald is also lovely, however, save up as it's a costly place. The train up the Eiger is eye-wateringly expensive as well as food and drink.

malk 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

and great limestone scenery all the way to Geneva along the GR5..

OP Rog Wilko 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thanks, another one I had lurking in the back of my mind, but hadn't done anything about it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...