UKC

Today at the Test.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 16 Jan 2020

Solid start by the openers. Even though Sibley fell after lunch there seems to be a good chance of a first innings of more than 400.

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

Ha ha, 220 odd for 4, ideal platform for a 290 all out collapse 😁

Post edited at 23:34
 GrahamD 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

The joys of watching England!

ianstevens 17 Jan 2020

> Ha ha, 220 odd for 4, ideal platform for a 290 all out collapse 😁

I live in hope that this supposed world class middle order we have will fire. That said... Pope looks rather good doesn’t he? 

To go back to the openers, what do we think of Crawley so far? I can see a situation in the summer where Joe Denly ends up getting dropped and the top three becomes Sibley/Burns/Crawley. Shame because I like Denly, but he does seem to lack some versatility and struggles to score vs spinners

Post edited at 08:28
Gone for good 17 Jan 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

I think Denly will last the course. He just needs to add consistency to his Test game. Back to the match, a good start to the second day for England.  Heading for 300 and Stokes and Pope look set.

ianstevens 17 Jan 2020

> I think Denly will last the course. He just needs to add consistency to his Test game. Back to the match, a good start to the second day for England.  Heading for 300 and Stokes and Pope look set.

I hope so as I quite like his conventional style of bating and he seems like a good chap. However, Lets say Crawley gets a few 50s and a century either here or in SA, and Sibley keeps in the same vein whilst Denly continues getting nice 30s... and then Burns comes back. Pick 3 from 4.

Ben_Climber 17 Jan 2020

Ben Stokes' off field dramas a few years back may have been a blessing in disguise.

The fear of loosing cricket out his life seems to have refocused him and gave him a kick up the backside. He has been incredible since his return, with bat, ball and fielding in all forms of cricket. Not many others in world cricket that have such an impact in all areas and forms of the game. Well done Sir Ben.

Pope looking composed at 21years old as well.

Dave Garnett 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Ben Stokes' off field dramas a few years back may have been a blessing in disguise.

> Not many others in world cricket that have such an impact in all areas 

That was certainly true outside MBargo!  But you’re completely right he’s sorted himself out brilliantly.

stevieb 17 Jan 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> I hope so as I quite like his conventional style of bating and he seems like a good chap. However, Lets say Crawley gets a few 50s and a century either here or in SA, and Sibley keeps in the same vein whilst Denly continues getting nice 30s... and then Burns comes back. Pick 3 from 4.

For the top 3, it will be interesting to see who they take to Sri Lanka. It's one place where you would like faster scoring against the new ball. The current 3 will go as first choice, but they will probably take a back up, it could be Keaton Jennings as a horses for courses selection, or could be Azad or Malan or even Bairstow. At the moment, all the players have something to prove. Burns and Sibley are definitely in credit, but no one has made an unanswerable case.

Michael Hood 17 Jan 2020

> Ha ha, 220 odd for 4, ideal platform for a 290 all out collapse 😁

Got that one wrong then, who'd have thought it!

Hat Dude 17 Jan 2020

Great entertaining day's cricket

All we need now is one of Malfoy's magic spells at the start of SA innings!

Good carnage at the moment from Wood and Pope 73 runs from 59 balls.

Edit: Wood out 499-9 declared

Post edited at 14:20
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Amazing knock from Woods. Well, that's was an entertaining couple of sessions. Let's see what the bowling attack are capable of but the Saffers are going to be up against it.

Welsh Kate 17 Jan 2020

A decent-looking England scorecard with good contributions from the whole top order. Makes a nice change!

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Saffers are 60-2 at close so all in all a good day for England

BnB 17 Jan 2020

Definitely take that. But can we take 18 wickets in 3 days? Could be a long day for the bowlers tomorrow if we don't make regular breakthroughs.

In reply to BnB:

The wet weather forecast should help the Bowlers. Wood and Broad should be able to get the ball swinging. I'll be surprised if South Africa don't follow on. 

GrahamD 17 Jan 2020

Surprised Malfoy was so expensive and Bess starred 

Ardo 18 Jan 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

England spinner picks up 4'fer within first 25 overs of 1st innings, is this a dream and I'm now posting on UKC in my sleep?

Dr.S at work 18 Jan 2020
In reply to Ardo:

Sleep posting - you have to be careful

Ardo 18 Jan 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Now dreaming it's a fifer, so definitely still asleep.

Gone for good 18 Jan 2020
In reply to Ardo:

> Now dreaming it's a fifer, so definitely still asleep.

What? He's playing a whistle as well as bowling out the Saffers?

Ardo 18 Jan 2020

Aye, the Tina Turner classic, 'Simply the Bess'.

Ardo 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

More sleep posting, 'The last four wickets went in 23 balls for one run'.

GrahamD 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Ardo:

Long time since England had the luxury of enforcing a follow on, especially with night on 300 lead. No other decision to be made there IMO

In reply to GrahamD:

44 for 3 at tean, still 246 behind

GrahamD 19 Jan 2020

6 down with Root starring with the ball. 

BnB 19 Jan 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

It’d be a cruel outcome if rain denies us victory tomorrow. Although Root’s return today suggests we needn’t get too excited about Bess’ potential.

Gone for good 19 Jan 2020
In reply to BnB:

Hopefully England will wrap up the tail as quickly as they did this morning!

Oceanrower 20 Jan 2020

That quick enough for you? 3rd ball of the day!

Gone for good 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

Root gaining an unwanted place in the history books. 28 off one of his overs is just awful.

In reply to Oceanrower:

Job done . An emphatic victory in the end and another Test that went into the 5th day!

BnB 20 Jan 2020

The whole win can be put down to our openers, for the first time in I don't know how long, blunting the attack so that the flair players could cash in. South Africa however, particularly in the first innings, when it is reasonable to expect more of a fight, were poor. The first test win is looking more and more like a flu-devastated aberration.

In reply to BnB:

> The whole win can be put down to our openers, for the first time in I don't know how long, blunting the attack so that the flair players could cash in. South Africa however, particularly in the first innings, when it is reasonable to expect more of a fight, were poor. The first test win is looking more and more like a flu-devastated aberration.

Agreed but also some inspired bowling by Mark Woods who was very quick most of the time. Butler disappointed again and I wonder if he will make the cut for the 4the test.

stevieb 20 Jan 2020

Great win, although it didn't sound like good captaincy from Root today. Either chasing his fifer, or resting the quick bowlers before the job was done. Great to see Pope and Bess getting some early success. Great to see Mark Wood there too, after all his injuries, any test match feels like a bonus.

I think Buttler will need a great performance in the 4th test to keep his place for Sri Lanka and beyond. We could do with a proper keeper for long spells of spin bowling. To be honest, I think we should be letting him concentrate on T20 anyway, we have a world cup coming up, and he's one of the key players. Woakes and Bairstow are also marginal test players but key ODI/T20 players.

Gone for good 24 Jan 2020
In reply to stevieb:

A very solid start by England's openers! 100 for none. It's been a long time since I've seen that score on a  English scorecard.

361 for 9 at the moment, Wood and Broad in particular having fun (44 runs of 24 bowls)

Edit: 400 all out, partnership was 82 off 50 balls.

Post edited at 12:43
 Welsh Kate 25 Jan 2020

Good start by the England bowlers!

Sean Kelly 25 Jan 2020

Now 82 for 5. Englands last wicket equalled  their first five!

Welsh Kate 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Yes, that was a nice wag by the England tailenders. Pity it's close now, let's hope the roll continues tomorrow. Who knows? Another follow-on?

Gone for good 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Another follow on looks inevitable but where are the successors to Smith, Amla, Kallis etc. What a woeful batting line up the Saffers have. 

stevieb 25 Jan 2020

> Another follow on looks inevitable but where are the successors to Smith, Amla, Kallis etc. 

In England on Kolpak contracts or on the world T20 circuit? 
I’m loving the England performances, especially by new players and Mark Wood, but the Saffers and the Windies really struggle for financial reasons. 

Welsh Kate 27 Jan 2020
In reply to stevieb:

Whoo hoo!

Great team performance, and a well-deserved series win at 3-1.

Gone for good 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Whoa!! I last saw 5 down for 200 odd!! That couldn't have been more than 90 minutes ago???

stevieb 27 Jan 2020

Great win and great tour with performances from the new guys after a nightmare start with illness and injuries.  Pope, Wood and Sibley all looking good at test level. I hope Jack Leach can get fit and healthy for Sri Lanka. 

GrahamD 27 Jan 2020
In reply to stevieb:

Glad Woakes got a run out and looking good.  I can see him being a mainstay of the bowling attack when Jimmy and Malfoy retire.  Maybe its my Warwickshire bias

stevieb 27 Jan 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Glad Woakes got a run out and looking good.  I can see him being a mainstay of the bowling attack when Jimmy and Malfoy retire.  Maybe its my Warwickshire bias

We have a lot of pace bowlers who can’t or shouldn’t bowl long spells - Stokes, Curran, Wood, Archer, Stone. He’s also a decent no8 bat, so Woakes could be really important. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...