UKC

Living in the northern Cairngorms?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adam.brink 22 Jan 2020

Hey All- a Colorado climber needs your advice. I have a chance at a teaching job in the northern Cairngorms (near Tomintoul and Glenlivet). First, is there any good cragging near there? Also, how about good trail running? I would love any and all feedback on what you think it would be like to live, climb and run there. Cheers!

Andy Moles 22 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

Hi Adam, I'll comment from the point of view of someone who has lived near there but doesn't now.

A lot of outdoorsy people live around Aviemore and nearby villages in the Spey valley. That area is one of the Highlands' real hubs for outdoor activities. Great for trail running (surrounded by forests and hills, and Scotland has wonderfully permissive access laws). Great for winter climbing, with the northern Cairngorms on the doorstep. Reasonable for rock climbing - there are some good crags nearby, but when the high mountain crags are out of condition (which is most of the time) you'll often find yourself driving an hour or two.

Tomintoul and Glenlivet have more of a 'middle of nowhere' feel, a quiet part of the country that can feel a little bleak. I'm sure the running is still good, but you're always going to be travelling a bit for climbing, and there's less of an outdoor community. Grantown-on-Spey might be a good compromise as a place to live between work and the attractions of Strathspey and stuff further west.

mike barnard 22 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

I imagine the running would be decent. Not a great deal in the way of nearby cragging. In the summer you'd be quite well placed for the mountains, with the weather generally being better in the east of Scotland (i.e. Cairngorms) than west. I agree with Andy that it's got a sort of remote 'between places' feel without a climbing scene or indoor wall, but have never lived there.

Lrunner 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Adam Brink.

Hi Adam, I live on the edge of the Cairngorms and its pretty good for running. There is an excellent racing scene on Deeside and in Moray too so you'll find loads of great events in the summer. There is something pretty cool about finishing a hill race at a highland games with 10000 people cheering you on. 

The general running in the Cairngorms is amazing and fantastic. If you get a job in Tomintoul defo live in Aviemore or carrbridge, much more of a outdoor community then in the village itself. 

The climbing in Scotland is good but it needs to be dry, which it isn't often. Having lived up here for 7 years both east and west its not really the best place to be based for climbing in summer. Winter can be ace though but just don't expect to be rock climbing everyday or even week. 

Just in word about the job make sure Moray Council are upfront about visa issues because though we really struggle for teachers in primary schools up here there have been a good few reports of them refusing to back Canadians, Americans or kiwis visas. 

Good luck though! I wish I were moving to Colorado! If you make it over give me a shout and I'll show you a few good routes.

LAwrence

Post edited at 08:04
 Doug 22 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

I used to live in Strathspey & its a great place to live although I suspect the climate will seem terrible after Colorado. As already said, the running is very good, either in forests or on the hills and the winter climbing is about the most reliable in the UK. There can be good skiing (especially touring) but its unreliable. There is very good rock climbing in the mountains but often out of condition and relatively little roadside climbing and if you do take the job you'll probably find yourself driving to the Moray coast (under an hour from Tomintoul) or further.

I've never spent much time in Tomintoul itself but it always feels pretty isolated

Graeme G 22 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

I live in the area and would mirror what other replies have said.

This group might be useful for local climbing connections 

https://moraymc.wordpress.com/

gravy 22 Jan 2020

Get some vitamin d tablets...

Graeme G 22 Jan 2020
In reply to gravy:

Ahem......June 22nd has 18 hours of daylight. That’s 3 hours more than Denver, CO. The OP might be better bringing suncream 😉

Doug 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

& December 21st ?

OP adam.brink 22 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

Thanks all! I don't mind a remote place. The Front Range of Colorado is crazy busy now so more peace and quiet is fine with me. Have any of you climbed at the crags around Ballater? That looks like the closest crags to Tomintoul/Glenlivet.

TobyA 22 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

>  Have any of you climbed at the crags around Ballater?

Yep, very nice small granite cragging. Oddly despite living in Scotland back in the 90s for 4 years, I never climbed there so went for the first time only a year and a bit ago - I found it reminded me incredibly of the small granite cragging in Finland (where I lived much of my adult life), but accept that's unlikely to be a helpful comparison to most others!

It's a beautiful part of the world. I teach in England but everytime I'm back in Scotland I think I should look for a job in Inverness! Unfortunately my family isn't so keen on the idea. Mountain biking (bikepacking) and ski touring are the other things that would draw me towards that area!

Mike-W-99 22 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

Its very pleasant at the Pass of Ballater with a decent range of climbing.

Huntly's cave is actually closer to Tomintoul for some roadside cragging (even if it can be very very midgie)

OP adam.brink 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

This might seem like a silly question but what is the midge season? Are they around in Spring and Fall too or only the warmer summer months?

MG 23 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

> This might seem like a silly question but what is the midge season? Are they around in Spring and Fall too or only the warmer summer months?

You are right to be concerned! June to September the worst period. 

Doug 23 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

Midges are small biting flies which can be present in huge numbers & although they can be bad in/around the Cairngorms they are (usually) much worse in the west (eg Skye, Glencoe)

Alex Riley 23 Jan 2020
In reply to MG:

Worth mentioning there is some decent kayaking in the area too. Cragging can be a bit far spare unfortunately.

mike barnard 23 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

I would guess it might be about an hour to Creag Dubh which is a bigger roadside crag. Some love it, I can't get too excited about it myself but there are undoubtedly a couple of great routes in each grade.

Midges aren't too bad if you're used to them (some may disagree!). If you're climbing in full sun or in a good breeze they're usually not a problem. It's more about knowing how to avoid them, though occasionally you could be midged off.  

Jim Lancs 23 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

>  . . . but what is the midge season? 

They're either the same, or are close personal chums of your 'no-see-ums'.

On still, damp, cool-ish days they can be quite oppressive from about late May to whenever it becomes too cold for them. 

Lankyman 23 Jan 2020
In reply to adam.brink:

When I drove through Tomintoul last September it was hot and sunny. Pulled into the carpark for a leak and the toilets were well maintained by a volunteer group of civically-minded worthies. It can't be at all bad if they're prepared to do this for nothing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...