UKC

VIDEO: Out of Obsession

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 03 Feb 2020
Dan Tuner - Monk Life A short film focussing on British boulderer Dan Turner which follows his obsession and commitment to bouldering and training. Dan pinpoints five problems which he thought represented some of the best climbing in the UK and filmmaker Rowan Spear-Bulmer follows him through the highs and lows of attempting each.

Read more
 jon 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Pinpointing eh?

plyometrics 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Superb watch. 

liquid 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant and positive - thank you

Spanish Jack 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Please somebody tell him about the quality of the metoffice app instead of bbc for weather... 

Poor fellow always ends up at a soaking Burbage because of this

TobyA 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Spanish Jack:

> Please somebody tell him about the quality of the metoffice app instead of bbc for weather... 

> Poor fellow always ends up at a soaking Burbage because of this

He was also looking at the forecast for Sheffield! That's the other side of the hill from Burbage. Met Office High Neb forecast is the one he wants!

Great film even for an occasional and very non-enthusiastic boulderer.

mike123 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News: a great watch and very inspiring . A   çlmbing film that, as well as providing entertainment , made me want to go climbing . Also  the music added to and enhanced it .  

Dan Arkle 03 Feb 2020

In reply to:

What a superb and well made film.

Southvillain 03 Feb 2020
In reply to mike123:

>...Also  the music added to and enhanced it .  

Agreed! I was just going to say, at the risk of dragging the thread madly off-topic, what great use of music, and cut in so well. Oh, and hugely engaging character in Mr Turner.

Tom Last 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Quality. Nice one lads. 

Paul Sagar 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I'm not really one for bouldering, as a rule, but that was GREAT. 

Nice work.

Wiley Coyote2 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

As someone who struggles to see the attraction of hard bouldering I have to say that was brilliant. Smashing film

Jim Climber 04 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Outstanding film! Really enjoyed that, added to my cycle of climbing 'psyche' films

Spanish Jack 04 Feb 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Right! Micro climates are a thing! So I learned since I moved to Scotland 5 years ago.

Great film indeed! Occassional boulderer here as well, getting slowly more enthusiastic though. Inspires as I try to do more bouldering this year, in order to help my capacity for limit moves on the ropes.

bozzy 04 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Hmm there was a section at Bonehill / Dartmoor in there but not captioned...  

innes 04 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Enjoyed that.  

Great stuff Dan!

ChrisBrooke 04 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed that. Beautifully shot and edited. Told a story, made bouldering interesting, looked beautiful. I found the superwide aspect ratio a bit distracting - lovely and cinematic but I kept trying to scroll down - but that's a very minor point. 
Congrats Dan on the climbs and Rowan on the film. Thumbs up.

PaulJepson 04 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Yeah likewise! Don't care about bouldering at all but a really good watch and had my attention from start to credits. 

Deadeye 04 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one.

"I put as much effort into my job as I do into my climbing" tells you all...

MKH 05 Feb 2020
In reply to bozzy:

I thought that as well, looked like it was on the wave boulder. Some good problems on there (bit of a crappy landing though).

I agree with most of the sentiment above, that was a great little film - well shot and with impelling content. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie Millar 05 Feb 2020

Great work.

UKB Shark 05 Feb 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

> "I put as much effort into my job as I do into my climbing" tells you all...

Smart move just in case your boss checks it out.

PaulJepson 05 Feb 2020
In reply to UKB Shark:

I put the same amount of effort into my job as I do climbing as well.

I'm not very good at climbing. 

Carless 05 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I'm rarely that interested in bouldering films but that was excellent

paul mitchell 06 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Proper blood sport.

Cusco 06 Feb 2020
In reply to bozzy:

Yep. Looked like one of the problems on The Wave at Bonehill.  Also some footage from Bovey Woods (start of Devon Sent)? Neither captioned coz not one of the featured flipping hard problems.

I don't usually like bouldering films/footage bit this was a great little piece.

yoshi.h 06 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Full time job, parent, and all. Dan Turner is so much more relatable than any other full time/professional climber to me. Apart from the fact that he's an absolute beast and I'm not. Bravo!

Robert Durran 06 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> I'm not really one for bouldering, as a rule, but that was GREAT.

Agree totally. Really good.

But when did anyone last make a climbing film that didn't begin with a close up coffee making sequence? A few years ago it was soft focus flowers.........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...