UKC

PRESS RELEASE: Women's Trad Festival 24-26 July - Leader Applications Now Open!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 03 Feb 2020
© Jessie Leong Join us for a weekend of trad climbing at the fifth Women's Trad Festival in the Peak District, 24th-26th July 2020! Participate in a unique event and be part of the ever-growing, strong, supportive and psyched community growing around the festival. Learn new skills, develop your climbing and meet and be inspired by other keen climbers. Whether you're new to trad climbing, want to further your skills, or are an experienced trad climber, everyone's welcome, even if you've never climbed before.

Read more
 Coel Hellier 03 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

It's not fully clear whether they are asking for both male and female volunteers as leaders, or just female ones. 

olddirtydoggy 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Coel Hellier:

In fairness to you it isn't too clear but when I checked the application form there is a tick box for both male and female so I'd assume from that you can apply regardless of your gender. Give it a go!

tjdodd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Coel Hellier:

My recollection from previous years is that they struggle to get enough leaders so the more the merrier (but I may be recalling incorrectly).

Hi,

Thanks for your questions, it wasn't clear!

To be clear, we are looking for leaders of any gender, with the aim of being gender-inclusive also of trans and non-binary folks.
With regards to male leaders, we are specifically looking for 10%  of the total to be male.

Just if anyone is interested in the reasons:
We are not short of female leaders, and have a number of reasons for this decision:
1. It inverts the typical (generalised and binary as the data doesn't include non-binary percentages) male:female at outdoor trad crags.
2. Our male applicants are typically instructors seeking to improve their practice and become better instructors for female clients.
3. Men want to help out! And we believe that everyone needs to be on board and play a part for real change to happen when you're working towards gender equity.
4. It's a women-focused space, not women only - and men are absolutely welcomed to be part of supporting and creating that.

Thanks for your questions, we have updated the press-release also

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...