UKC

Gloves for skinning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dsh 03 Feb 2020

What gloves do you wear to keep the wind off and a little insulation while skinning? I keep trashing my liner gloves, and they get soaked from the snow too easily, but the ski gloves are too warm while going uphill unless it's really cold and windy.

summo 03 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

Cross country ski gloves are pretty much made for the job, but even they can be a bit warm if you are working hard in blazing spring sunshine. 

OP dsh 03 Feb 2020
In reply to summo:

> Cross country ski gloves are pretty much made for the job, but even they can be a bit warm if you are working hard in blazing spring sunshine. 

I'm more talking about cold but humid conditions, around -10C - 0C.

Colder and I will use a light ski glove, warm and sunny I probably won't wear any gloves. I will look into those.

Post edited at 18:28
 summo 03 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

They come in a range of thicknesses, and mitts too. Plus roller ski gloves have grippy palms but ventilated mesh backs for summer use. 

I'll wear standard gloves when cross country skiing, but switch to mitts when it's below -15c or so.

Fiona Reid 03 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I normally use 3 quid kids gloves from decathlon or similar or a slightly heavier soft shell pair also from decathlon. No point trashing something expensive with sharp ski edges etc

vscott 03 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

Simond (decathlon) alpinism leather gloves with fleece lining - cheap and work brilliantly. Take a couple of days to break in then keep them proofed and they last for ages, inner pads down as well so a thin liner can be added to boost warmth when cold. 

DaveHK 03 Feb 2020
In reply to vscott:

> Simond (decathlon) alpinism leather gloves with fleece lining -

Another vote for these. 

HeMa 03 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

What ever I have.

But most often full Finger bike gloves (non insulated,  to block the wind). Or thin wind blocking fleece mittens.

TobyA 03 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I've mainly used Marmot Basic Work Gloves for ski touring (mainly Easter time in Arctic Norway - so probably about those temps you mention). I often find that's all I need all day, up and down.

Subseaclimber 03 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

Ran vapour rise gloves

In reply to dsh:

Shell mitts

AdrianC 03 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I go to my DIY shop of choice and get leather work gloves with however much insulation I fancy.  Usually for skinning that's none for me.

krikoman 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Padraig:

I've only ever done one, a road kill near our house.

I put it up on the back fence by it's back legs and got to work with a kitchen knife, I looked like Sweeney Todd by the time I'd finished, about 3 hours!!

Bear Grylls I'm not.

Very tasty though.

neuromancer 04 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

Decathlon 15 quid ice climbing gloves.

Frank4short 04 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

Mountainbiking gloves, light and agile unlike winterised gloves. At the moment i'm currently using these https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nl/en/fox-racing-flexair-gloves-aw19/rp... but they're just the latest in a very long line of others. I've always run hot so very rarely use my full winter gloves (marmot leather workmens yolks). I've also got a set of black diamond crag gloves too, https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-gloves/crag-glove-BD80186... which are pretty good but my default is usually the mtb gloves.

JuneBob 04 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I've struggled to find the right solution here too.

Various problems I have with my owned gloves and those I've chosen not to buy:

1. Sweat, I haven't found a good solution for this except keep working hard so the sweat is warm, and change gloves for the ski down

2. Cold, wet gloves after digging in the snow - particularly when boot packing a steep hill and using my hands a lot, or on rock.

3. Bad fit - I clearly have odd hands. My fingers are too short, so if I get a glove with short enough fingers it's super tight round the wrist and palm, or comfy around the wrist but too long fingers.

4. Dexterity, tricky to use for fidgity stuff, like ropes, harnesses, zippers, goggle adjustments.

5. Grip - not always so grippy, so metal poles can slide around (e.g. holding a ski pole lower down or holding my ice axe)

6. Putting the gloves on after taking them off, e.g. to use my phone, when my hands are sweaty, it can be very difficult to put the gloves on. A phone friendly finger tip is very useful, as I use my phone a lot when navigating, especially the slope gradient map.

7. Cold hands, usually they warm up, sometimes I have to put my hands in my armpits or down my pants for a while...

8. Wear. Most of my gloves are covered in holes and patches, and because I haven't found any good ones, even when new, I just keep using my crappy ones.

Gloves I've tried are:

dynafit skimo gloves with the windproof overglove. I find these too tight and fidgity, but ok when racing as I don't take them off.

cross country gloves, various types - I find these aren't snow proof at all and get soaked easily and don't have great grip

cycling gloves, ok but a bit stiff

Wool liner glove - no grip and they just fall apart

The best glove I've found is to have insulated overmittens with a flap to free the fingers in my backpack, to wear over the top if it's too cold, or even just wear them and no under glove works quite well

In summary the best thing to do is to go fast enough up that your body generates enough heat to keep your soggy hands warm, and then put on big warm gloves for the ski down. I have tried some nice looking gloves from Ski Trab, Hestra, and Tegra work gloves but they didn't fit my hands well.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

OwenM 04 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I'm trying Rab Vapour-rise and velocity gloves at the moment. Not used them in cold weather but they got very wet at the weekend. It was rain turning to sleet and back to rain all day.

ClimberEd 04 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

pair of thin fleece gloves, don't have to be fancy, can be if you want. The sort of thing you might run in in winter.

Keep them separate from your other gloves, put them on for skinning/touring faff. Put warm dry gloves on for going down/sitting around. 

damowilk 04 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I’m another that used MTB gloves, much cheaper than other options, reasonably durable for the weight. 

OP dsh 05 Feb 2020
In reply to all:

Some good ideas here cheers.

jonnie3430 05 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

Dickies insulated work gloves are awesome for this, about £15 a pair, keep them nikwaxed, amazing grip, thinsulate insulation that if your wearing in the rain, you can just wring out and put back on.

Rigid Raider 05 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

Ski touring makes the same demands on gloves as cycling. You need a glove that's snug and flexible and most importantly doesn't have an inside layer of insulation separating the glove from its liner because 1 - your hands will sweat too much, 2 - the liner will "squirm" on the slippery Thinsulate reducing your grip and 3 - the liner will certainly come out when you remove the glove damp. 

On the bike I use cheap, thin but dense gloves that are not waterproof but are very windproof, the only disadvantage for cycling is the lack of padding on the palms. But they work well even down to freezing, a little chilly to start but the hands soon warm up once I begin working.

Alex1 05 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

Black Diamond LIGHTWEIGHT SOFTSHELL GLOVES - windproof and breathable

nick99 05 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I go for a pair of decathlon ones. Forclaz Trek 500 - thin, and fleecy on the inside (not outside, so snow doesn't stick too badly), a leather palm, and a loop to clip to your harness when it's really hot. Not windproof, but I find anything windproof is usually too hot to skin in. They are £8 and I've got 2 previous versions that have been great.

Tim Davies 20 Feb 2020
In reply to nick99:

cheap and thin for uphill. 

I tend to trash the tips on the glue on the skins. 

Decathlon always seem to fit the bill 

mattbell 20 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I use these: https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/torque-BD801667_cfg.html#start=7...

I really like them, they're hardwearing, can clip them to my harness.  I am a hot handed person though!

brentmac 22 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

I use these mittens from Decathalon. They fold back giving free fingers.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek500-fingerless-mitten-bk-id_8396265.html

I wear them over liners from the same esteemed company.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek-500-grey-liner-gloves-id_8390724.html

Never too warm nor too cold.

joeydurkin 25 Feb 2020
In reply to dsh:

an old pair of Chamonix bin man gloves that have lost their warmth  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...