UKC

music as bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 12 Feb 2020

What Font grade would this get if there were a Font grade for music ? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-02CXhGXCQ&feature=share&fbclid=Iw...

john arran 12 Feb 2020
In reply to paul mitchell:

Hugely impressive. Compelling more for technical brilliance than for inherent musicality, although the section from about 9 mins or so was pretty mindblowing technical wizardry. Thank you for sharing the link.

Jon Stewart 12 Feb 2020

Great clip!

Different genre, a bit less light-hearted (perhaps), but just as virtuosic:

youtube.com/watch?v=CXGeOHdiHrE&

Post edited at 17:16
GoneFishing111 12 Feb 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I find Hamelin's cadenza in his HR No2 quite impressive.. 

youtube.com/watch?v=8u8Ho_3VOBs&

from about 11:30

NERD - how are you getting on? How old are you now?

gravy 13 Feb 2020
In reply to GoneFishing111:

I'm not sure you can give Font grades to jazz noodling

deepsoup 13 Feb 2020
In reply to gravy:

Quite right.  It's very long and sustained and it looks awfully pumpy.  Clearly ought to be graded as a route.

petemeads 13 Feb 2020

Thanks for the heads-up on this artist,  and to the other suppliers of impressive videos. Hard to know how to grade any of these performances - they look to be at the limit of ability but how can a non-player judge?

Climbing/bouldering probably does not look that hard to a non-climbing pianist...

PS have a look on youTube for Richard Hills playing Tiger Rag on the theatre organ sometime.

Jon Stewart 13 Feb 2020
In reply to GoneFishing111:

> I find Hamelin's cadenza in his HR No2 quite impressive.. 

Oh yes!

Back to jazz, here's a favourite clip of mine:

youtube.com/watch?v=06_uCl_Bovs&

and another

youtube.com/watch?v=NTJhHn-TuDY&

Removed User 14 Feb 2020

Thanks for sharing-she can play! (and then some)

I don't know what Font grade Daniil Trifonov would get, because he seems to be kind of off the scale:

youtube.com/watch?v=cYAb2FeIlLA&

OP paul mitchell 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Adept but  a little self congratulatory,and mechanical.

Jon Stewart 15 Feb 2020

> Adept but  a little self congratulatory,and mechanical.

Liszt is certainly self-congratulatory. But wouldn't you be if you were the best pianist who ever lived? I've also heard his music described as mechanical before, but I don't really get it. It's certainly very tightly structured, but I don't find the effect at all mechanical. To me, the 12 Transcendental Etudes are music from another realm, and no.5 (Gordon's link) is my favourite. It's like a little gang of impish spirits have sneaked into our material reality and are running amuck.

As for Trivinof's interpretation, well, he's clearly possessed by the spirit of Liszt. I think to hear him play is to witness the supernatural. And he's not all manic bashing, he can do exquisite heartbreaking beauty as well:

youtube.com/watch?v=SQcZR8EasM0&

If the Liszt was some fierce, dynamic roof; then the Chopin is a entirely holdless friction slab. Who's to say which is more difficult? 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Agreed. Liszt is really over-the-top, so a bit like a multi-pitch rock climb with each pitch taking outrageous lines.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks for posting the link to the Chopin Nocturne. Sublime.

krikoman 15 Feb 2020

'orrible init?

Sounds like a load of cats fighting on a piano

While it might be very difficult and hard work, it's equally both to have to listen to.

Post edited at 22:19
 john arran 15 Feb 2020
In reply to krikoman:

I draw an analogy with special effects in films. They can be jaw-droppingly spectacular but if the special effects (the musical virtuosity) are a major part of the film then it's unlikely that the storyline or the dialogue (the melody or the lyrics) will be truly memorable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...