UKC

Go Outdoors - over the worst?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 01 Mar 2020

Not used GO for a while due to the well publicised problems they have been having with web/stock etc. 

Got given a gift card from work so decided to try them again. 
MSR Whisperlite, fuel bottle and a pair of warm wellies selected from their website, click and collect tells me the only store with all 3 things in stock nearby was Loughborough. Not too bad, I’m Belper so just a 30 min drive over. Got there and my order is ready and waiting and they honoured the ‘TENOFF’ 10% discount from their website.

So, nothing to report other than it all worked exactly has it should have done and I hope this unheard of efficiency is nationwide!

Post edited at 13:29
 Schmiken 01 Mar 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

The Loughborough staff are spot on (from what I've been told from friends the only exception is their bike mechanics...) I'm in Barrow upon Soar and use it quite frequently.

veracocha 01 Mar 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

In the last six months I have used the Kidderminster, Gloucester and Preston branches for purchases in total of approx £1200, much of which was ordered for collection. Every time the products have been there when I arrived. On the one occasion it wasn't I had an email saying the order couldn't be fulfilled. Have been to many an outlet only to be disappointed when there was no actual stock.  I did have a faulty zip on a Berghaus Arran and the after sales service was exceptional, no fuss replacement. 

GrantM 01 Mar 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I ordered a nut key last month for next day collection in store, a couple of days later it hadn't turned up so I emailed and was told the courier had unexpectedly returned it to the warehouse so the order would be cancelled and I would get a refund. The next morning I got an email from the courier saying it would be delivered that day. I've ordered other stuff recently without problems so they're still a bit hit & miss.

Baz P 01 Mar 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

After using the Sheffield branch for years since it first opened I’ve got really fed up with their sham sales.

Me and my partner bought two really cheap quilted jackets to be worn at the wall that could be thrown on the floor for £12 each. Two weeks later in a sale advertised as “up to 60% off” the same jackets were £19.99. 

In reply to wilkie14c:

I recently placed an order for 40 metres of 4mm cord. They cancelled my order due to no stock. Need that cord pretty urgently so not very impressed

krikoman 01 Mar 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

Our local store is much better, stock tidied up and shoes, almost in size order!!! But at least the same style of shoe all in the same area

Web site is better giving stock in a number of stores, previously you had to keep typing different post codes to find the closest shop with stock.

Mattia 02 Mar 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

Found an item in store, website showed availability. Called to make sure the item would be there, was told item was in stock at that particular store.

Travelled to the store to pick up the item and none was to be found; turned out I made the hour round trip in vain as the shop assistant didn't check properly. Disappointingly the shop wasn't able or willing to arrange shipping of the item through their network of stores, after the hiccup.

When in no hurry they do offer good prices though, therefore I still shop with them at times.

deepsoup 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Baz P:

> After using the Sheffield branch for years since it first opened ..

CCC was great, back in the day.  Those days are long gone, the Sheffield branch is very much just another GO now.

FreshSlate 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Baz P:

Why the dislikes?

That's really naughty and against regulations I think? Do people not believe you?

Post edited at 10:24
In reply to Baz P:

The key words being "up to"

Max Hangs 02 Mar 2020
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Why the dislikes?

It was a general sale, that said jacket obviously wasn't included in!

Timmd 03 Mar 2020
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Why the dislikes?

> That's really naughty and against regulations I think? Do people not believe you?

I was surprised too, I find the best way to approach anything like sales and advertised prices is just on how it feels to spend what is asked for at the time and ignore the old price, ''How much 'Ouch' does this feel like?'' 

Post edited at 19:48
 mark s 03 Mar 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I saw 5.10 shoes online for 80. Went the shop in stoke to find them at 110.

I pointed out id seen them online for 80 and no issue they sold them for the web price. 

FreshSlate 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Max Hangs:

Ok sure - buy why did the price go up? Were they heavily discounted two weeks before then were taken off sale during the err... sale? 

I suppose we don't knoa if they were advertised as being discounted the first time round. 

FreshSlate 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> I was surprised too, I find the best way to approach anything like sales and advertised prices is just on how it feels to spend what is asked for at the time and ignore the old price, ''How much 'Ouch' does this feel like?'' 

That's a good rule of thumb. One of mine is that if a jacket was £120 before a 50% discount, you need to remember that if you buy it you're not actually saving £60, you are spending £60

In reply to FreshSlate:

Haven't shopped in Go for a while as haven't needed to buy any outdoor clobber but it used to be they did weekly promotions where 2 or 3 items were heavily discounted for that week only. Is it possible you bought it at the lower price on a promotion and the following week it reverted to the higher price, which could still be lower than what it had previously been advertised as?

As for the issues around inventory, it's probably most likely a result of them never having enough staff on to cover a huge store, which encourages shoplifters and not doing stock inventories regularly enough. Used to work for a large outdoor store and whilst they had alarms on the entrance to the changing rooms they also had a very large indoor tent display where you would always be finding cut off security tags! You would end up with the system saying we had a certain jacket in stock as it had never gone through the till but in reality we didn't as someone had helped themselves to it! I've learnt when ever I reserved something online to wait for the confirmation message to say it has been picked and is waiting for collection.

Baz P 07 Mar 2020
In reply to Max Hangs:

On the contrary, I bought the jacket when it was not on a special sale, the price hike was with it on a special sale. I mistakenly assumed that a large label with sale written in red would mean a lower price than normal. 

lucozade 08 Mar 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I still find the stock system totally unhelpful when stock is described as 'low' - I once said to a member of staff it's like going into a shop and saying 'have you got this product in stock' and they reply 'yes'. So you say 'where can I find it?' and they reply 'you give me a location and I'll tell you if it's there' ... rather than simply saying 'oh it's over there'. 

Other than that, staff always helpful even when not specifically 'outdoors' types (if such a thing exists!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...