UKC

ARTICLE: Remembering Andy Pollitt - Cars, Stars, Bars, Guitars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Mar 2020
Andy Pollitt and Charlie Creese. Charlie Creese remembers close friend and '80s climbing legend, Andy Pollitt, who died aged 56 last November.

I don't want to mythologise the guy - he was a mate, after all - but that doesn't mean I can't recall the extraordinary presence he had. People likened him to a rock star – and those stellar looks combined with the Pollitt swagger, mirror shades, and a daunting resume of dangerous routes certainly made for "coolness" in the sense of "unapproachable" or "aloof" I guess.

Read more
 Mick Ward 04 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Charlie Creese, you've done him proud.

In my mind, I can hear part of a tape recording with Martin Atkinson, made about a decade ago. Now Basher's a Yorkshireman and, as we all know, they don't really do emotion. But there's a bit where he pauses, then says reflectively, "Andy's a very special guy..." And there's a tsunami of emotion.

Mick

Post edited at 14:23
pasbury 04 Mar 2020

Beautifully written.

tomrainbow 04 Mar 2020
In reply to pasbury:

Charlie, your writing is amazing and so evocative of the time I spent out at the mount in the mid 90s. Thanks for evoking those memories whilst doing such a great job of explaining why Mr Pollitt was everyone's hero.

Tom

Spewin Mckeown 04 Mar 2020

Charlie you captured memories of Andy and those days in the dust beautifully. Makes me pine for “the pines”

Andy Hardy 05 Mar 2020

Mods, please can we press "like" more than once? 

"...the long suspected fact that he was bisexual."

^Possible typo, if I'm remembering the book correctly he points out that when he says "Bi" he means "Bi-polar".  My mind is a bit addled at times so I may be way off.

Or is this some mates joke I don't get?

Either way, a lovely article. I only found out about Andy when I saw 'Punk in the Gym' on a store table at Sheffield Outdoor festival and the cover then subsequent blurb had me intrigued. It was the first climbers autobiography I'd read and gave me a thirst to read more, so Jerry Moffat came next as he'd been the catalyst for Andy writing his book.

Seemed a decent bloke.

In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

You're right, my bad! (Sorry Andy, and Charlie!)

Mick Ward 05 Mar 2020
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

You're forgiven!

Up at the great boulder in the sky, Andy's pissing himself laughing. Hey, why should the fun stop?

Mick

dominic lee 07 Mar 2020

Helps to have heard Charlie Creese’s idiosyncratic way of delivery when reading this. A lovely tribute.

Simon King 07 Mar 2020

That was beautiful. Brought back some lovely memories. I am not a crier but... Thanks very much. Oh and great picture of Sean!

Flinticus 11 Mar 2020

A nice tribute. Captures well the complexities of loss and remembrance , the living and the dead. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...