UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Once Upon a Time in Holyhead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Mar 2020
A Dream of White Horses UKC favourite David Linnett has released a new instalment of his infamous films and this time has taken a look at the classic route 'A Dream of White Horses'. The film focuses on his friend Andrew Walker who was in a life changing accident resulting in the loss of his arm. 

Read more
 Mick Ward 06 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant!

Mick

sammy5000 06 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Bloody loved that! no power screams!

Just a dam good little film!

Deadeye 06 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Whoa!  That's good.

Chris_Mellor 06 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

A very well produced video David; professional quality I thought. And no dratted head-mounted or pole-mounted GoPro cameras in sight. Thank you for that.  The drone shots were informative and lovely. The pacing of the various segments was terrific and the focus on Mr One_Arm superb. Nice music too. Congratulations.

BALD EAGLE 07 Mar 2020
In reply to sammy5000, Mick, capoap, Deadeye and eroica64:

> Bloody loved that! no power screams!

> Just a dam good little film!

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to post your positive feedback as it is muchly appreciated! Cheers Dave

leland stamper 07 Mar 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

One of your best!

Bobling 07 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Best one yet?  Fabulous.  Thank you.  Particularly poignant with Ed D. moving on to the next level not so long ago.

Enty 07 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Loved the ending!! I laughed out loud. Brilliant.

E

Doghouse 07 Mar 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Brilliant!! Loved that.

alan moore 07 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

That was a great commentary.

Kemics 07 Mar 2020
In reply to alan moore:

Yeah i really enjoyed listening to his history with the route.

I wonder if he had a sense of this being his last ascent of the route .... or whether he will climb it again! I wish i had that kind of relationship with a specific route. 

robate 07 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Wonderful, the panoramas we're spot on, the story    ... thanks

BALD EAGLE 07 Mar 2020
In reply to Bobling, Ieland stamper, Doghouse and robate :

> Best one yet?  Fabulous.  Thank you.  Particularly poignant with Ed D. moving on to the next level not so long ago.

Once again thanks a million guys for the positive vibes and I really appreciate your appreciation! Cheers Dave 

BALD EAGLE 07 Mar 2020
In reply to Enty:

> Loved the ending!! I laughed out loud. Brilliant.

> E

Yup Andrew is a larger than life character who's lived a life less ordinary and the world is emminently a better place with him around. He has an Irish Deerhound the size of Texas, swears like a trooper, drinks like a fish and smokes like steam train! Despite appearences and all he is a highly respected professor... Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 07 Mar 2020
In reply to Kemics and alan moore:

> Yeah i really enjoyed listening to his history with the route.

> I wonder if he had a sense of this being his last ascent of the route .... or whether he will climb it again! I wish i had that kind of relationship with a specific route. 

Andrew is really eloquent and a great raconteur with many superb tales to tell of his climbing life at Goagarth. There was lots of great audio from him I could not fit in or was ruined by the strong wind which blew in from Pitch 2 onwards! 
As to whether he will climb Dream again? Andrew is aware of this thread so he may well pop by and let us all know...
Cheers Dave

olddirtydoggy 07 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I subscribe to your channel and even said on there this week youll get the fri night vid with this. What other vid could have possibly gone up this week? So good to see you back with new material.

BALD EAGLE 08 Mar 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> I subscribe to your channel and even said on there this week youll get the fri night vid with this. What other vid could have possibly gone up this week? So good to see you back with new material.

Many thanks for your kind words olddirtydoggy and a couple of filming projects are in the pipeline for 2020 so watch this space! Cheers Dave

Davidcrjohnson 10 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC Brilliant route, great article, well done that man!

fantastic achievement.

sjminfife 10 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

What an amazing video, one of the best climbing videos I have ever seen. 

"Extraordinairy people having an extraordinairy adventure"

ericinbristol 10 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely loved that film! Thank you DL! Took me right back to when ADWH was an ambition, then thinking I was up to doing it, Looking across and thinking 'Eek!'. looking down the ab and thinking 'This is it', launching off up it thinking 'I'm actually on this route!', flopping with my back on the grass at the top just taking it all in for a minute before setting up the belay. 

GrahamD 10 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I guess I'm going to be the dissenting voice on this thread, and will probably receive a flaming in due course.

I'm afraid I didn't really get on with the film.  It struck me as being a bit self indulgent iand really only a ***** watch if you know the people involved.  As an outsider, that's exactly how it left me feeling.

Also, the usual petty gripe about the music choice, a must on threads like this.

On the plus side, some great shots of the zawn and how on earth weren't you following a steady stream of other parties in late May ?

james mann 10 Mar 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Sorry you didn’t enjoy it. Films are subjective things. I helped Dave with filming and hadn’t seen it until last week. I enjoyed it and thought it a lovely portrait of this classic little rock climb and Andrew’s relationship with the route and with the limitations of his own body. There was no one on the route as we waited for people to finish before starting. I’m not really sure what you meant by self indulgent. I didn’t think that came across. Filming and climbing on the day were hampered by extremely strong winds by the end. With this kind in mind, the finished film is to my mind doubly impressive. 

James Mann

Gone for good 10 Mar 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another great Friday night film showcasing the best of the British coastline and its fabulous rock climbing. Many thanks David for taking the time and effort to film and produce and share these little works of art.

GrahamD 10 Mar 2020
In reply to james mann:

Hi James,  As you say, films are subjective.  I can see the appeal especially if you know anything of the participants.  Unfortunately I don't and so I found it a bit like watching a group of strangers.

Mark Eddy 10 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed this, an inspiring watch. Thanks

Robert Durran 11 Mar 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Hi James,  As you say, films are subjective.  I can see the appeal especially if you know anything of the participants.  Unfortunately I don't and so I found it a bit like watching a group of strangers.

I think I can see where you're coming from. I found myself thinking that I was supposed to find it interesting because the guy's only got one arm, but somehow slightly guilty that I didn't really.

BALD EAGLE 11 Mar 2020
In reply to ericinbristol, sjminfife and Davidcrjohnson:

> Absolutely loved that film! Thank you DL! Took me right back to when ADWH was an ambition, then thinking I was up to doing it, Looking across and thinking 'Eek!'. looking down the ab and thinking 'This is it', launching off up it thinking 'I'm actually on this route!', flopping with my back on the grass at the top just taking it all in for a minute before setting up the belay. 

Thanks a million guys for taking the time to post your positivity as it makes the looong hours locked away in the editing room worthwhile! Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 11 Mar 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> I guess I'm going to be the dissenting voice on this thread, and will probably receive a flaming in due course.

> I'm afraid I didn't really get on with the film.  It struck me as being a bit self indulgent iand really only a ***** watch if you know the people involved.  As an outsider, that's exactly how it left me feeling.

> Also, the usual petty gripe about the music choice, a must on threads like this.

> On the plus side, some great shots of the zawn and how on earth weren't you following a steady stream of other parties in late May ?

Hi Graham I'm sorry you did not enjoy the video but as James Mann said higher up, films are very subjective and coloured by personal taste. Like James I'm really not sure what you meant by self indulgent.

Anyway when nearly all the news nowadays is rather depressing it seems, what I hoped to convey was Andrew's life affirming story and recovery after a catastrophic accident which left him wheelchair bound for a number years. He was told by doctors and surgeons he may not even walk again so it was a privilege to be part of a team who gave up their time voluntarily twice (the first attempt in 2018 was a wash out!) to travel to North Wales from all over the country to help out with the filming, rigging and guiding. And to witness Andrew climbing Dream once again with a huge smile on his face was pretty emotional for all! Some might say it was foo#in' bonkers...

Cheers

Dave  

BALD EAGLE 12 Mar 2020
In reply to Gone for good and Mark Eddy:

> Another great Friday night film showcasing the best of the British coastline and its fabulous rock climbing. Many thanks David for taking the time and effort to film and produce and share these little works of art.

Many thanks guys for taking the time to post your positivity and there are already a couple of filming projects in the pipeline for 2020 so watch this space... Cheers Dave

pneame 12 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Another well constructed gem. Thanks!

One of my favourite routes - the drone footage gives a very different perspective on the last pitch. 

BALD EAGLE 13 Mar 2020
In reply to pneame:

> Another well constructed gem. Thanks!

> One of my favourite routes - the drone footage gives a very different perspective on the last pitch. 

Thanks pneame muchly appreciated! For the final pitch the winds were gusting at over 30mph at times and James Mann had to apply downward pressure on top of my P4Pro to stop if from toppling over on take off. And even with loads of stabilization added in the editing process you can still see from the footage that the drone was struggling to stay airborne! I really had resigned myself to losing it in the Irish Sea forever...

Cheers Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...