UKC

Belay Mitts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Merlin 09 Mar 2020

I’m in the market for a new belay mitt after my fingers nearly froze off in Scotland last week (50mph wind, wet snow etc).

I think I’m after something synthetic (probably Primaloft but might consider hydrophobic down) that’s big enough to go over my climbing gloves; I notice that a lot of mitts (Montane Extreme) are too tight for this. Ideally sub £50.

Anyone using anything similar at the moment? 

Alex Riley 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Merlin:

Cheapo decathlon mitts have seen me through the last few winters, I think they were about £25. Warm, mostly waterproof (as waterproof as it gets for the price).

In reply to Merlin:

I'm currently using ME Mountain Mitts, size XL. These get pulled over my size L Windstopper climbing gloves, belaying.

I recently got given a pair of BD Mercury Mitts XL, the Rolls Royce of belay mitts, bulky thought!

Stuart

In reply to Merlin:

Ps. What size are your hands?

OP Merlin 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Stuart the postie:

I usually wear a Large glove ( 9-10 ), so probably need an XL mitt.

Robert Durran 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Merlin:

> I think I’m after something synthetic (probably Primaloft but might consider hydrophobic down) that’s big enough to go over my climbing gloves; I notice that a lot of mitts (Montane Extreme) are too tight for this. Ideally sub £50.

I have used the Montane ones and found them really excellent, but I have them next to my skin having taken off my gloves and put them inside my clothing so that they are warm when they go back on. Works really well for me.

Connorh 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Merlin:

Been using these for like three years, hands never get cold, and they never get wet inside, and they're £15. Use them to belay and to walk in. Dexterity is enough to belay and second, don't generally use them over other gloves however. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Goretex-Waterproof-Extreme-Weather/dp/B00A...

Post edited at 05:07
 neuromancer 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Merlin:

If your gloves are thin enough to climb and place gear, they will likely be wet by the time you have finished the pitch. Instead of keeping cold wet gloves on inside mitts, why not just swap into mitts and dry your gloves for the next pitch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...