UKC

ARTICLE: Dealing with Self-Isolation as a Climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 13 Mar 2020
DIY Hangboard

Recent estimates suggesting that up to 80% of the British population could become infected with novel coronavirus (COVID-19) at some point. A lot of climbers may find themselves in the frustrating predicament of trying to prevent boredom while trapped indoors. We've compiled a list of activities that will help you keep your sanity and hopefully prepare you better for any adventures you plan to go on once normality resumes.

Read more
 Paul Sagar 13 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Splendid! 

Can I suggest UKC commission Mr Gresham, Mr Randall, or some other such training guru, to offer up a Self-Isolation Training Programme?

I know I can do finger strength, aero cap and even aero power on the beastmaker - but what about an cap and an power?! We await instruction!

Flinticus 13 Mar 2020

And, after years of hanging onto it, I gave away of door frame training station only about 2 months ago. Why keep it when I'm so close to the climbing centre? 

C Witter 13 Mar 2020

Or, just head out into the hills and doing some climbing, miles away from anyone except your climbing partner...

The Pylon King 13 Mar 2020
In reply to C Witter:

or go on your own.

or maybe even do something completely non-climbing related (yes they do exist).

girlymonkey 13 Mar 2020

Or go running, cycling, walking etc. Why sit inside doing crap stuff when you can be out on the hills and infecting/ being infected by nobody? I feel people have a funny idea about self isolation. It doesn't mean do nothing, it means don't infect anyone. For those who don't live alone, being outside might actually be better.

DerwentDiluted 13 Mar 2020

I really hope I have the luxury of fretting about the weight of my rack.

pec 13 Mar 2020
In reply to C Witter:

> Or, just head out into the hills and doing some climbing, miles away from anyone except your climbing partner...

Yes, ideally go to some remote moorland or mountain crag. You'll be away from the hordes and it will help clean up some neglected routes.

Deuce4 13 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC Articles: things to do in quarantine:

#24  Build some portaledges.    youtube.com/watch?v=YQCMQZJrsH8&

beardy mike 13 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey: being isolation now, trust me, some of that sounds lovely. Only flaw in the plan which minor is what happens when you get injured during an accident and the first responder who comes to your aid is infected by you resulting in one less pair of hands at the pump? Having just come from Italy, I dont think that people fundamentally appreciate what is going on there. Its great to joke and keep spirits up but once the same measures are adopted, or you are worrying whether you might infect someone else and you might have to wait for a fortnight to find out if you had the disease, you might change the way you think about it all. The UK is in for a rude awakening. Italy is suffering, whether that is physical ailments or businesses being cut off from their income, like mine. It will cost the country billions. I know the article is tounge in cheek, just have lost some of my sense of humour about it. 

mattdennies 13 Mar 2020
In reply to beardy mike:

Are you suggesting that doing yoga or hangboarding at home is going to end up with you calling an ambulance? Come on...!

You’re more likely to call an ambulance falling down the stairs or having a mishap cooking dinner!

girlymonkey 13 Mar 2020
In reply to beardy mike:

You don't have to go remote or put yourself somewhere that you are likely to have an accident. I could fall down the stairs at home and need help so you can't protect entirely from it. Most people can probably run or cycle from home on easy surfaces. Yes, you might pass people but if you don't interact with them it shouldn't be an issue. Again, easy hill walking is low risk.

I am resigned to the fact that I will be one of the early infected due to my work, I am already distancing myself from vulnerable people, so once I have had it I should be immune and able to get back to normal life. 

girlymonkey 13 Mar 2020
In reply to mattdennies:

I wonder if there will be a surge in hospital admissions from diy, gardening and cooking injuries! Entirely possible as people use the time to catch up on jobs

Misha 13 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Official guidance for self isolation specifically says you shouldn’t go for a walk. Which is odd really but I guess they’re being prudent. I live in an apartment block so going anywhere would involve touching doors / door handles in common areas in the block. I could use gloves but suspect even that isn’t foolproof. Driving anywhere eventually involves going to a garage to fill up and touching the pump and possibly a door. So a few potential transmission avenues even if you stay away from people. I suspect the risk is low if you use gloves etc but if everyone starts making such exceptions to self isolation, it won’t work very well. 

Misha 13 Mar 2020

Drink beer. 

Misha 13 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Good point re ‘home’ injuries. The irony is that it will take longer to be seen to in hospital...

girlymonkey 13 Mar 2020
In reply to Misha:

Weird. I searched a bit to find out why and I'm not finding an explanation, but as you say, maybe to do with door handles etc. However, the dog will still have to go out!

The other weird thing I came across while looking for why not to go for a walk is that you shouldn't share beds etc. Surely if there's a 2 week incubation period then if one of us shows symptoms the other already has the infection too? 

beardy mike 14 Mar 2020
In reply to mattdennies:

Of course I'm not suggesting that. What I'm saying that just going out cycling, climbing etc. could result in an accident which requires assistance from an already loaded NHS and that personally I will be taking very great care to try not to increase their burden. Yes shit happens, I am fully aware, I rather they were taking care of someone elses granny or mum than me because I've been a dick...

beardy mike 14 Mar 2020
In reply to mattdennies:

I mean the other way to look at is this, what happens when you go out perfectly healthy, fall off a crag and smash yourself up, and you are then compromised. You get taken to a hospital which is struggling with the outbreak (just look at whats happening in Milan for example) where you're in an environment where you can contract it and you end up severely ill. Is that worth it? Accidents happen so fast in cycling and climbing etc. and if you knew you were going to have an accident you wouldn't go. We need to protect the people around us and ourselves in every way possible. As I say, if they bring in measures like in Italy you might start feeling differently about the while thing. Currently thy have near on 200 people dieing per day and its only getting worse. Current death rate there is 7.2% so either its much more deadly than they initially thought or there is a much larger percentage of the population infected than first thought. I get us all being jovial about it - I was to start with but I've realised I had my head stuck in the sand.

simes303 14 Mar 2020

That was the most ridiculous article that I've ever read.

Sam Beaton 15 Mar 2020
In reply to beardy mike:

You have persuaded me that going out for some bouldering or soloing or for a run across the moors on my own at the moment would be irresponsible, but I am still struggling to work out why the official advice if you are self isolating still includes not leaving the house for a walk. How can a quick run or stroll around my local park giving everyone else a wide berth cause any problems? There's only so many pull ups I can do and podcasts I can watch before I'll be going nuts

beardy mike 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton: This makes for a sobering read. It’s long but informative. Honestly soon, like a weeks time I think we will be in lockdown too. BoZo for all his bluster will not be able to do anything else because it would be political suicide. So you’d better get used to pull-ups 😂

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d...

To answer you question though, I am not sure it can, but I think they are trying to reduce as much chance as possible. Social distancing is working in China...

Post edited at 08:59
 Paul Sagar 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

If you’re watching your podcasts, sounds like you’ve lost the plot already!

Sam Beaton 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I'm not there yet.......but I am thinking ahead, and I've never watched a single JamCrack podcast and they look great!

morpcat 18 Mar 2020

If you are self-isolating, please do not follow suggestion #7 of selling your old gear.

OG 20 Mar 2020
In reply to Misha:

Perhaps I'm being dense or missing something, but the gov's self-isolation page seems to suggest exercise outside is ok as long as you aren't near anyone else:

"If possible, you should not go out even to buy food or other essentials, other than exercise, and in that case at a safe distance from others. "

Which makes sense really... don't do things that put yourself at risk, but you can walk or run without having to go near anyone. Basically be sensible and responsible, especially if you are self-isolating.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/s...

I am heartened that the climbing and outdoor community is taking this so seriously and for us the restrictions are likely to mean a lot more change in lifestyle than more sedentary people, but I do wonder whether e.g. DIY enthusiasts are urging each other to stop using power tools, alcohol enthusiasts are stopping drinking, smokers giving up cigarettes, given their potential for injury and illness.... From what I have seen I would suspect not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...