UKC

Which yorkshire crag for bouldering alone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SiobhanStraver 19 Mar 2020

In this time of distancing here we are..

I have two pads and no spotters, any advice for where I can go where landings aren't too bad?

Post edited at 17:13
 overdrawnboy 19 Mar 2020
In reply to SiobhanStraver:

Great Wolfrey should give you some privacy.

Offwidth 20 Mar 2020
In reply to overdrawnboy:

Great Wolfrey is not a good place for solo visits... its a long walk and has lots of hidden holes as you near the crag.. some might break your ankle and others have been known to swallow sheep (I know as I rescued one).

Lankyman 20 Mar 2020

Lots and lots of short problems and routes at Twisleton, towards the right end. Some of the tiers at Attermire too. The incredibly unfashionable limestone will ensure you'll be completely on your own (apart from the b*stard retro bolters).

Andy Hardy 20 Mar 2020

West Vale (Greetland Quarry) AKA West Vale. The landings are A1, the long traverse is a proper stamina fest but the location (and occasional seeping pigshit) could be better.

tjhare1 20 Mar 2020

Rylstone has some good problems and landings. 30mins walk. Maybe worth a look?

payney1973 20 Mar 2020

Gate house crag, awesome little place 20 mins from the parking, safe landings, great range of grades.

Siward 20 Mar 2020

Bridestones?

Bridestones (West Yorkshire)

Not been there for donkey's years though...

Will Hunt 20 Mar 2020

Behold:

www.unknownstones.com

mrphilipoldham 20 Mar 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

As an outsider I found the location fine? Nice little sun trap whilst there’s still a bit of a chill in the air!

Andrew Wilson 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Shhhhh!

alex_arthur 21 Mar 2020

None. Stay at home. Don’t be selfish. 

greg_may_ 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Dry at the moment. Was there after work last night. Be aware it may have more of our bored kids than normal with the school closed. 

Not exactly secluded either! A lot of dog walkers.

Avoid Bridestones, the rock is trashed as it is.

Have a wander up to Hawkstones.

Post edited at 07:56
 David Bennett 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Siward:

Great call for solo bouldering. Really don't know whether the op should climb right know or not though. For myself I wouldn't.

None, stay at home.

tutbury 25 Mar 2020

I can walk to Slipstones but very few can do that at the moment.

nigel baker 25 Mar 2020

The point is that any accident puts even more stress on the health service and emergency services. Just because there are other selfish people helping to spread this awful virus by going to edges etc., it doesn't mean one has to join in!  We will get through this time quicker if everyone follows what they have been told, hard though it is.

Don't forget a lot of people have had their livelihoods curtailed, so missing climbing for a while doesn't  seem quite as bad.

This time is not some sort of 'free' holiday

'Grit' your teeth and stay in!

tutbury 25 Mar 2020
In reply to nigel baker:

Some of us are retired Nigel. I've just been for a short bike ride from my house near Masham not far, but I guess I could have had an accident. I'm now going out in the garden to do some jobs. Then i shall make lunch. There are potential accidents all around.

But we are staying well clear of contact with other people.

Offwidth 25 Mar 2020
In reply to tutbury:

Just attaching the BMC advice on this subject (made just before the office closed) as its still not so well known. 

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-and-hill-walking-its-time-to-put-it-on-ho...

Andy Hardy 25 Mar 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> As an outsider I found the location fine? Nice little sun trap whilst there’s still a bit of a chill in the air!

It's not exactly "far from the madding crowd" though, is it?

All a bit academic right now of course...

mrphilipoldham 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I've only encounter one or two dog walkers on my handful of visits.. day time midweek though which probably helped it feel somewhat more remote  

Elfyn Jones 25 Mar 2020

Please don't.

The advice is clear. Do not climb and that includes bouldering. Exercise local and low risk (go low level walking or cycling from your front door) is what the guidance states. This is really not about you and anyone else trying to turn the guidance into something that justifies you going climbing or bouldering. 

Spreading the virus is a real risk. You have no way whatsoever of knowing if you have it but might be asymptomatic and spreading it...no matter how careful you think are being.

Even a minor climbing/bouldering incident requires a disproportionate  amount of resources compared to that incident being roadside. Mtn Rescue Teams are at reduced or seriously depleted capacity due to this already and DO NOT HAVE ANY FORM OF SPECIFIC PPE to protect themselves with in the event of an incident, so you really are putting them at risk. 

Also the public backlash against climbing would be immense and at some point we will be trying to get these restrictions eased as soon as it's safe to do so.

Elfyn Jones

BMC Access & Conservation officer 

nigel baker 25 Mar 2020
In reply to tutbury:

Don't use any sharp knives and don't go up any ladders!!!

...and if you go out on your bike put the stabilisers back on!! 

tutbury 25 Mar 2020
In reply to nigel baker:

Now lets not be flippant Nigel! But I did use a sharp knife when cut I some hard cheese preparing cheese on toast for tea.

Please take note I no longer climb or boulder. Last climb I did was in 1980's but still enjoy visiting local crags i.e. Slipstones.

But we all have to follow the latest guidance.  Point taken.

In reply to greg_may_:

> Avoid Bridestones, the rock is trashed as it is.

What an odd request, don't go to bridestones because the rock is trashed, go elsewhere and trash that. 

I have often wondered that if we had tolerated that cheating French stuff at venues like bridestones it might have helped to stabilise the rock. Probably too late now. 

Albert Tatlock 25 Mar 2020

Terrace wall at Malham, place your 2 mats appropriately and you should be fine.

😁

sammy5000 26 Mar 2020

Not as barmy as you may think! I soloed a new route up there many moons ago. Just got a little scary when you got high and dont land running backwards!

Post edited at 01:57
 Bob Bennett 26 Mar 2020

By car???

shaun stephens 01 Apr 2020
In reply to alex_arthur:

This was posted before the government asked people not to go out! 

shaun stephens 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Elfyn I totally agree with what you have said but please, the post was put up before the government announced the restrictions as such I fel your reply should have an apology with it.  This was a perfectly acceptable question on the date recorded.

deepsoup 02 Apr 2020
In reply to shaun stephens:

> the post was put up before the government announced the restrictions as such I fel your reply should have an apology with it

Elfyn's post wasn't premature, the government's recommendations were late.  If anyone should be apologising it's them.

JohnBson 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

So what you're really saying is that it's big boys rules. Get hurt and it's for you to deal with, don't expect rescue. Really just like mountaineering in remote locations or 1970s mentality. Don't fall. 

deepsoup 02 Apr 2020
In reply to JohnBson:

> Get hurt and it's for you to deal with, don't expect rescue.

Except that you almost certainly will be rescued, because that's just what MRT's do regardless of whatever operational challenges they are facing - you may wait longer for rescue, and then you'll be putting your rescuers at some risk of infection.  "Big boys rules" (girls also) involve accepting risks for yourself, not imposing them on others.

But with all the wrangling on several different threads about what is more risky that what, how dangerous it is to drive, cycle whatever, blah blah blah, perhaps it's important not to gloss over this part of Elfyn's post:

"Also the public backlash against climbing would be immense and at some point we will be trying to get these restrictions eased as soon as it's safe to do so."

It would be *so* easy for just a couple of people to go out and make us all look like selfish dickheads in the eyes of the public, legislators and landowners, which could have a detrimental effect on how the 'lockdown' progresses for us and how it's lifted, and potentially on access negotiations everywhere for years to come.

It's not just climbers making these sacrifices for a little while, gliders aren't gliding, cavers aren't caving, kayakers aren't kayaking.  People have even stopped playing golf ffs.

Post edited at 08:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...