UKC

NEWSFLASH: IOC and Japan Agree to Postpone Tokyo 2020 Olympics to 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Mar 2020

The IOC and Japan have come to a mutual agreement to postpone the Tokyo 2020 Games to summer 2021 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The decision comes after weeks of mountain pressure on officials to cancel or postpone the Games from national Olympic committees and athletes. 

Read more
 Southvillain 24 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC News:

If any of the four championships could not be held, the updated Qualification System ensures that the Continental quota places will be awarded according to the ranking of the 2019 IFSC Climbing World Championships

Would any brave soul care to hazard a go at outlining who would then get the places still up for grabs?

In reply to Southvillain:

That sentence is probably obsolete now anyway, since the likelihood that a continental can now happen at some point - even in 2021 - means they wouldn't need to resort to the World Championship rankings. 

Southvillain 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> That sentence is probably obsolete now anyway, since the likelihood that a continental can now happen at some point - even in 2021 - means they wouldn't need to resort to the World Championship rankings. 

You're such a killjoy! There was bound to be some poor sod out there frantically trying to work out one of the most byzantine qualifications systems ever devised. A perfect `Stay Home' task... 

In reply to Southvillain:

The way things are going it might turn into a fingerboarding qualification system!

Rad 24 Mar 2020

I'm super thankful we got to see the CWIF comp. It was excellent, and sadly I don't think we'll be seeing another comp anytime soon.

In reply to Rad:

Yeah there was definitely a feeling that it would be the last comp for a long time. A lot of the athletes were viewing the event that way and just trying to savour it!

Rad 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

We could all sense that. World Cup bouldering season was just about to start too. It's far and away my favorite sport to watch. And now we don't get to see the Olympics either  

Silver lining: an extra 50+ epispodes of Ondra's Road to Tokyo! Maybe he can do some social distancing in Flatanger...

Ps. You did really well at CWIF, Nat. Hopefully you've got access to a facility to train during lockdown.

In reply to Rad:

We're planning something fun to watch featuring Charlie Boscoe and Mike Langley which should be out from later this week. Keep an eye out!

Thanks, it was fun. I have a home wall in the garage where I am which helps!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...