UKC

Dave MacLeod Indian Face video translation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dazm2020 06 Apr 2020

Hi. I want to share the pant-filling experience of the video https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2019/03/dave_macleod_climbing_the_indian_fa...

with my French climbing mates but as the auto-generated subtitles are hopeless, I'm trying to write them myself. At 12:19 Claire shouts up, "that's you back on belay" and Dave says something like "Okay I'm anchoring on".

Can someone explain what's happening here, as they're bound to ask me!

By the way, if anyone wants the subtitles after they're finished, let me know. (Someone's going to link me to a version with the subs  already done, I'm sure! Oh well, it's a good French exercise..)

zv 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Dazm2020:

Claire does say "You're back on belay" but I bet she means a specific rope to focus on.

Dave says "I'm mantelling on", as in he is doing the move, a mantel, which is the next sequence.

planetmarshall 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Dazm2020:

> By the way, if anyone wants the subtitles after they're finished, let me know. (Someone's going to link me to a version with the subs  already done, I'm sure! Oh well, it's a good French exercise..)

As far as I know none exist - but you could upload them to OpenSubtitles.org when you're finished then they'll be generally available (though I'm not sure what the actual title of the video is - I think it was released as part of "Committed Vol 1" from Hotaches).

Greenbanks 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Dazm2020:

Thanks - just re-watched. It really reminded me of the seriousness of that route. My palms were sweating... and I was at my desk.

In reply to Dazm2020:

What a fabulous movie!

Dazm2020 06 Apr 2020
In reply to zv:

I was trying to imagine a scenario where he'd ever be off belay - but yes, of course youre right-he possibly had to switch ropes on the gear or something faffy and she had to give slack, thus the break in the filming. That'll do me. Ta!

Post edited at 16:20
 Matt Alexander 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Dazm2020:

Dave popped up and answered the same query when the video was previously posted.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/dave_macleod_climbing_the_indian_face...

Dazm2020 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Matt Alexander:

That's what I wanted!  thanks very much!

Rob Parsons 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Dazm2020:

It's not quite clear from the video sequence, but I think that the skyhook is being held in tension by a third rope running back down to the ground, with all of that being arranged during the actual ascent.

The whole thing is a brilliant display of cool, controlled climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...