UKC

1950's Skye climbing film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Jasonic:

Excellent find - thanks. Cue 'But what've they ever done on grit'....

Cog 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Greenbanks:

>  'But what've they ever done on grit'....

When the rock got knocked off he sounded English to me, so maybe a lot.

steve taylor 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Jasonic:

Terrifying!!!

malk 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Jasonic:

grade?

In reply to Jasonic:

Great, thanks. It looks like the corrie Sron na Ciche is in - Coire Lagan, is it? - but from my limited experience of the area I don't recognise the route.

I also don't recognise the notion that gabbro is only found in Skye and the Lofotens - any geologists like to comment?

jcm

Post edited at 13:57
 Alex the Alex 08 Apr 2020
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Plenty of it on Mull and Ardnamurchan.

Southvillain 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Jasonic:

Love the comment that, if the leader falls, "...the worse they can do is dangle". Yup, dangle with a shed-load of broken bones and a fractured skull, if he's not threaded round some chockstones or spikes.

Dave Cundy 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Jasonic:

Did you see the bloke tying his bowline, at the start?  The tail was just three inches long :-o

In reply to Dave Cundy:

Interesting but to be fair hemp hawser laid rope will tend to bite rather than slip when force is applied I would think. Not that I'm old enough to know for sure.  Hawser laid nylon was my first rope and I'm pretty sure we used a stopper but it's that long ago who knows?  It certainly held me a few times, my ribs still remember.

Al

Robert Durran 08 Apr 2020

> Great, thanks. It looks like the corrie Sron na Ciche is in - Coire Lagan, is it? - but from my limited experience of the area I don't recognise the route.

East Buttress maybe?

PaulJepson 08 Apr 2020

It's named after somewhere in Italy, and I'm fairly sure I've heard of it being in Africa and North America, so I'd suggest that that is rubbish. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabbro

I've also climbed on it in West Wales. 

Cam Forrest 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

> East Buttress maybe?

Think it's probably the approach to the Amphitheatre, Bob, going rightwards from below Cioch West. The slabs over to the right would then be Diamond Slab/ Central Slabs. Whether they then continued rightwards up Amphitheatre Arete (probable) or leftwards up West Ridge I can't tell.

In reply to Cam Forrest:

> Think it's probably the approach to the Amphitheatre, Bob, going rightwards from below Cioch West. The slabs over to the right would then be Diamond Slab/ Central Slabs. Whether they then continued rightwards up Amphitheatre Arete (probable) or leftwards up West Ridge I can't tell.

Maybe, but there was a shot looking steeply up at Sgurr Sgumain which suggested East Buttress to me.

Michael Gordon 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Alex the Alex:

> Plenty of it on Mull and Ardnamurchan.

and Rum

OP Jasonic 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Greenbanks:

Glad everyone enjoyed it- climbing was so much simpler then !

alan moore 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

I thought East Buttress. Don’t think it’s the Amphitheatre as the profile of West Buttress is so far away.

Saying that, East Buttress has some very distinctive pitches and the film only shows rambling ground. Maybe it’s just a wander up the front of Sgumain.

In reply to alan moore:

> I thought East Buttress. Don’t think it’s the Amphitheatre as the profile of West Buttress is so far away.

> Saying that, East Buttress has some very distinctive pitches and the film only shows rambling ground. Maybe it’s just a wander up the front of Sgumain.

The view of Sgumain looked too much from the right to me for that. Very distinctive.

Cam Forrest 08 Apr 2020
Gone for good 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> and Rum

And North America and India.

https://geology.com/rocks/gabbro.shtml

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...