UKC

UKC-C-19-RC (UKC Covid-19 Running Club)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 08 Apr 2020

With running being one of the still allowed exercises (and obviously, superior to cycling), let's have a chat about running. 

So... What is everyone up to? How's your training affected? What are you up to? What are your goals out of this period? 

Personally, I've been training a lot on trails and having long days (up to 50K) to prepare myself for Cateran Trail Ultra (55 mi). With that gone, I dialled down the volume to more reasonable numbers and focusing on a Virtual 5K that's due in two weeks time. I figured I don't want to virtually race a longer effort and working on speed won't hurt. PR from last year was 20:12, I had a 5K race/time trial last week of 19:03, which was a pleasing result. I am hoping with sharper and fresher legs I can go closer to 18:30 or even 18:00. 

Roadrunner6 08 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Well done.

https://runfreegrandprix.com/

There's 4 races, one every 2 weeks. Youve a window from Thursday to Sunday in which to do your 'race'. The 10k and below can be on a road, track or treadmill, but not net downhills (11ft/mile most).

I'm doing this, its pretty big in the US, our team of 5 are supposedly the leading over 40's team in the US.

I did a solo 10k on a track last week, 36:48.

I've a mile this weekend. I'm dreading it.

I'm just running 60-70 mpw and seeing how it goes. Boston was my aim, that went, next Boston possibly but I'm not sure it will be on. Lots of time just running alone with my dog on quiet trails has been bliss to be honest.

Post edited at 23:43
 Dark-Cloud 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

As i would normally do all my training in the hills i'm being responsible and staying in as much as i can and being happy that i'm healthy, just doing 10-20 miles a week to keep some sort of base until i can get out there.

I have events at the middle and back end of the year but to be honest this year isn't going to be about performance and numbers, its going to be about being out there.

petemeads 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

I was going to have a crack at the Joss Naylor Lakes challenge in June so training had been LSD and hills, with parkruns weekly for speed. Now its mainly flat training in farmer's fields and canal towpath but I did a 5k time trial last Saturday down the quiet main road - about 90 seconds slower than I would want to be doing - showing the lack of speed work. Since my hips were replaced I have held off doing much mileage but I have missed the joy of just jogging steadily, and my hips are responding to the extra mileage really well, so I shall continue running further, alternating with biking and fast walking. No decent hills within range for running, plenty of ups and downs available on the bike, though...

Little Butch 09 Apr 2020

I’ve not been running long and have only started to enjoy it recently. Ran my first 8 miler last night with a 10k time in about 53 minutes so was super happy with that  

Once I get over about 6 miles though my right hip starts to ache. Hip flexors?

RX-78 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

I am just keeping things ticking over, it's a bit boring running around my London winter routes (park free) still. Almost unbelievable now but I did the vitality big half marathon in London on 1st March along with 17,000 others plus spectators. Got a time of 1hr 30m 35sec, so was happy with that. Nothing now planned coming up, as cancelled anything we had booked.  

dread-i 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Manchester marathon has been moved to a week after Lochness, so thats going to be a hard week. Race to the Castle is postponed till next year. Dyfi ultra is in Sept, so hopefully that will go ahead.

I'm lucky enough to live near moors. I can jump over a fence, go across a field and out into the yonder. Last couple of weeks I've been out on the local hills doing long exploration runs. Just checking out random tracks at a slow pace, but still ~20K outings. Very few people out an about, apart from some nobbers on motorbikes.

Yesterday I did hill reps. 10x 40m assent over 250m. I met an older chap who ran for my club in the 70's. We had a long chat about running (staying +2m apart). He mentioned that Ron Hill used to turn up at races, run and then sell running kit out of the back of his car afterwards. Back in the day, you couldn't get decent running kit and Ron filled the gap. Apparently he would stay around chatting for hours after a race. He said he was a thoroughly decent chap and was very encouraging to other runners. 

Tonight I'll try and get a +10k on the roads. Its very quiet so if I see people its easy to cross to the other side of the road to pass them.

I've been trying to keep up some weight lifting, high reps of low and a medium number of medium weight. But it's very dull.

Post edited at 10:04
 David Riley 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Trying a different approach.  Lucky to be surrounded by hills, bridleways, and footpaths.  I'm doing a short loop every day in a stop start fashion.  Instead of my usual constant and longer runs three times a week.   Got in the way of a horse, Scooby Doo I think, hill training for Man V Horse (2021), 19th last year.  Past and gone in an instant.

Gone for good 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

I'm running about 15 - 20 miles a week at the moment although I did just have a 10 day break from running which made last nights 10 miler a bit of a struggle. Our local athletic club are still doing group training (remotely via Zoom) which to be honest i can't be bothered with, the race series is still in progress as well as people can enter their best 10km Strava time over a 2 week period which gets recorded on the race register and people score accordingly. Its a bit artificial but keeps people active and allows for  some interest in the club running scene to be maintained.

Longer term I've entered the Loch Ness Marathon which is now less than 6 months away. Ill ramp up the training for that from the beginning of July.

Cycling is still my main activity, roughly 150 miles a week in Spring and Summer. The current period of weather is just glorious and running and cycling on the quiet lanes is a real treat.

Post edited at 10:31
 Ridge 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Good topic.

Been a strange time. Managed to exercise steadily for the last couple of weeks, and to be honest I'm not missing club running/training. Working from home so exercising in the afternoon before going back to the ‘office’ until evening.

Got my old MTB up and running, doing that three times a week (Approx 15 miles a day, not off road, just on the back lanes). Knobbly tyres and steady winds has been giving the legs a workout, really feeling the lactate in the legs.

I've had recurrent injuries for the past couple of years, so have taken the opportunity to drop the runs down to twice a week, 6 to 8 miles a day, (back lanes, fields, dirt lanes and a bit of beach). To protect my immune system I'm trying to keep my heart rate around 125 - 145bpm. Feels really slow pace (and it is), but now I'm a few runs in and getting used to it I'm actually looking forward to going out for a jog. Actually feeling mentally and physically better for it (also eating better and eased of the booze too).

Also doing some core exercises to try and build a decent base in terms of strength and fitness until I'm able to get out on the fells again.

alicia 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Well done on your 5k!

Somewhat oddly, the situation has been a net positive for me as far as running.  I had to (temporarily??) move house because I was living somewhere where running got banned entirely.  Now I live somewhere with a lifetime's amount of excellent running from the front door.  I've been having so much fun exploring the new area that I've struggled to keep my weekly mileage from creeping up a bit too high!  

It is sad having all races cancelled, but if it works out that we're able to do rounds and FKTs later in the summer, that will be plenty good enough to keep me happy.  

yorkshireman 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

I'm in rural France so officially we've been in proper lockdown for over three weeks and our ski slopes shut for even longer (I was cross training with XC skiing during the winter months). My running club has obviously stopped - they publish online videos for workouts but I'm not too bothered about doing those.

My big goal this year is the Échapée Belle (149km, 11,000m +/-) in August but frankly my motivation for getting out has been pretty low. I work from home most of the time anyway and have started a new job about 2 months ago so have been pretty knackered and busy as its been very full-on getting up to speed.

The weather has been stunning for weeks - dry, clear and sunny but going up into the mountains that surround me is strictly off limits and enforced by the Gendarmes. We're allowed to leave the house once a day so have to make a choice between running or going shopping etc.

To leave the house you have to sign a form with the time you left on it. In theory I'm only allowed to run within a 1km radius of the house, and for a maximum of one hour. I'm incredibly lucky though that I can get in about 9km, with 350m of elevation and loads of forest trails and mountain views within those criteria- but even that is getting repetitive.

I've got the treadmill set up in the basement so will have to start being disciplined and do some longer sessions on that. At least doing an hour on the treadmill and then going outside for an hour will allow me to start building up the volume. 

The biggest thing is loss of structure. We're going to be in lockdown at least until the end of the month and probably further. I had several small, local races planned to build up and normally each one acts as a kind of barometer leading into my big race. Will just have to wing it.

Post edited at 12:53
 mbh 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

After a five month lay-off, lockdown has actually got me out again, perversely. 

In the first week  I just went for short walks on the local moor, and since then  have tried to run 4-5 miles early every morning, the earlier the better to avoid people. On that topic I try also to avoid narrow paths or dog walk haunts where I am more likely to meet someone, take in boring bits I wouldn't normally consider, including the local police station car park, and combine runs with going to the allotment so that I don't have to go out again for that.

From my door almost all routes are hilly but hey-ho.

Now trying to include the odd indoor thing such as yoga.

Roadrunner6 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Little Butch:

Likely, try doing balance work, stabilizing work. one legged squats, brush your teeth on one leg etc. When you run you spend a lot of time on one leg so the stabilizers get worked and they eventually tire, especially on trail/dirt/snow runs when your foot isn't set as well as on road. 

The hips can be anything though, like knees and ankles, there's loads going on and referred to that area. Glutes, hamstrings. I suffer from a tight posterior chain, where that turns up as an issue varies.

But well done, good going.

Post edited at 15:06
 Andypeak 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Never been much of a runner prior to all this, I'd always preferred climbing of hiking. Managed to accidentally run a half marathon on Monday when I got a bit lost. I've just about stopped hurting but quite happy to have done it and within 2 hours. 

steveriley 09 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Club has a 10k time trial every month that’s now gone virtual. The offroadies came up with a contour challenge - how much ascent you could squeeze into 10k from home without using the same climb twice. 1896’ for me but not good enough for the win!

Roadrunner6 09 Apr 2020
In reply to steveriley:

Cool challenge.

Roadrunner6 12 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

I just ran a mile time trial.

5:23 around a local park. Not good but I’m certainly tired from stress and lack of sleep.

attempt 1 Thursday too cold wet and windy

attempt 2 Friday stopped after 0.8 miles as too slow.. actually faster than I ended up running..

attempt 3 5:33 on a windy track last night

attempt 4 stopped 1km into the wind too slow.

attempt 5 around the local park as a last gasp effort. 5:23.6 (5:24)

EuanM 12 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

I was training for the West Highland Way race. Was just going into my long run/endurance period when everything escalated. 

Ive lost a lot of motivation recently. Not because the race is cancelled but mainly from being really busy at work and trying to adjust to a new routine. I’ve dropped a 2.5hr daily commute but seem to have less time! 

On a positive, with the WHW cancelled I can focus on some local hill runs and get in shape for Lakes in a Day. 

Still holding out for a Tranters attempt before Autumn as well. 

BusyLizzie 13 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Mostly, lockdown is doing good things for my running, because I have more time (no commuting) and also am very keen not to put weight on while we are staying at home. The plan has been two days running  and then one day cycling, which means 4 or 5 runs per week instead of my usual 3 or 4. Last week I ended up  knackered after a huge amount of gardening and a couple of longish (for me!) cycle rides, so eased off a bit. Keen just to stay steady, stay more or less half-marathon ready, and add in a bit of sppe3d work now and then.

I *ought* to be doing some yoga and more weights... but I am finding that ine of the keys to staying ok at the moment is being quite forgiving of myself.

The ukc strava club is an encouragement as ever, thank you all! Stay safe.

gazhbo 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I’m doing a virtual race series.  6 distances between 1 and 10 miles over the next 5 weeks.  I have a flat straight  2kish main road (with a little loop at one end) which is suddenly very quiet (enough to basically run down the middle of it). I think I’ll have to find something more interesting than just 8 laps of that for the 10 miler though.

I ran a 4 mile pb yesterday (22.45, only ever run at that distance) but was a little bit down on my best 5 mile pace.  I’m not sure whether it’s a lack of speed training or not having people to chase/hide behind like I would in a race.

I’m actually looking forward to the one mile. Hoping for a windy day so I can just start at whichever and of my “track” works best.  I have grand delusions of running under 5 but I suspect I might be closer to 5.10

Post edited at 09:28
 MikeTS 13 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

I live in Israel. So am limited to 100 meters from my home and to wearing a mask.

i used google maps to draw a circle. So I can do the corona marathon. As follows

1. run up and down every alley way 

2. windsprints up every ramp and step

3. run around all levels of underground car parks.

4  do it once in both directions

my time is 55 minutes

Post edited at 12:31
XXXX 13 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Where are people finding virtual races? I'm in desperate need of a goal.

Luke90 13 Apr 2020
In reply to XXXX:

The first reply to this thread gave a link to one.

XXXX 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Luke90:

Yes. But it was a US one and looked a bit serious for my current level. I was looking for a bit of advice on how to find good ones. Others have alluded to them, but just not said where they found them.

Roadrunner6 13 Apr 2020
In reply to XXXX:

Are you with a local running club? We have a virtual 5k every Saturday. They may have something similar.

There are some here.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a31909851/best-virtual-races/

It's also good to do some silly ones like the fastest 5 k you can do? Wind assisted/down hill etc. It'll still be good training.

gazhbo 13 Apr 2020
In reply to XXXX:

> Where are people finding virtual races? I'm in desperate need of a goal.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/virtual-race-series

This is the one I’m doing. You need to be on Strava to do it.  It’s a handicapped series so you get a par time for each distance based on your recent best 5k time (a bit of honesty is required).  The rankings are then based on who beats their par time by the most.  The deadline for the 4 mile was last night but you only need to run 4 of the 6 events.  

The guy running it seems decent and it’s all a bit of fun.  He calculated my par time off my feed and it seems fair.

OP PPP 13 Apr 2020
In reply to XXXX:

https://runnation.co.uk/races?race_filter%5Blocation%5D=22&race_filter%...

Free to enter, with a T-shirt/Medal available for £12. I fancied a medal for this one as a memorial for two races postponed/cancelled. I also know I will PR, so why not

beeman 14 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Thanks for the link. Entered the 10k as have only been doing short distances since the lock down. Gone for the medal too as six of my races have been cancelled, with more to follow no doubt. 

mbh 08 Jun 2020
In reply to PPP:

How are we all doing now things are loosening up?

I haven't properly come out of lockdown mode. I still work from home and the daily exercise has become an important part of my routine.

Surprisingly to me, I have managed to run at least 5 miles every day since the first week of lockdown, apart from the very first few days where I just walked, following a five month lay off. Mostly I do it early and I have deliberately kept the distances low, never going over 8 miles and rarely over 6, the point being to limit the risk of injury and to lower the bar so that I actually get out and do the run. Adventure is missing, but that will come soon, I hope.

Early on I had a bout of serious back pain. In response I have now done 8 weeks each dayof half an hour of pilates or yoga towards the end of the day, 5 or 6 times a week, on top of the running, and that seems to have helped. Well, that is it has happened at the same time as the pain has gone away. I feel better for it, anyway. Whatever other practical or exalted reasons others may have for doing these and similar things, I was struck, when the pain was worst, how simple actions like being able to put your pants on and wipe your bum are vital to the dignity of your life, so I am keen to continue with flexibility and strength exercises, and no doubt as I read and do more I will settle on something that seems to work best. For now, I am enjoying exploring.

Last week I tried running on the flat in order to get used to running faster, having almost always run routes with more than 100 ft / mile. It worked and was a joy. I will probably now include flat runs and intervals more than I have to date.

In reply to PPP:

Blighted by injuries this year. Niggle after bloody niggle but I'm going to try a short run over the next couple of days to see how I get on.

yorkshireman 08 Jun 2020
In reply to mbh:

It was good to see you back and logging some trail miles on Strava after what seemed quite a layoff. 

Personally I've struggled with motivation since the lockdown - lots of reasons but I'm going to end up with one of my lowest mileages of any year since I started running in about 2010. Its hard to be self-pitying though in the current situation - I'm lucky to still have a job I love, a beautiful place to live and decent health.

I got a couple of local trail races done during the winter before lockdown and I think its striking how having regular competition makes for a big psychological difference throughout training and seem sto give a bit more purpose.

My big challenge for the year, the Échapée Belle, is still tentatively on for end of August - they're making the final decision next week. I'm not hopeful though - the UTMB takes place the week before and has been cancelled, although that has a lot more international competitors whereas EB is more low key.

France is officially out of lockdown and my running club starts again tomorrow (though we have to keep our distance) so maybe that will help get me a bit more motivated.

mbh 08 Jun 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Bummer, hope that goes well. On the bright side, the UKC Strava club you started has been a great success. I really like it.

OP PPP 08 Jun 2020
In reply to PPP:

Update from myself. I had a bit of a dip in mileage as I was chasing the shorter distance PR and was a bit demoralised in keeping up high mileage (70 mpw+) with no goal. Got back to higher mileage and then decided to do a 50 mile self supported run in lieu of a Cateran 55 miler. I totally screwed up the taper period (legs felt shot at 18 miles), but all worked out in the end and finished in sub-10 hours.

The reverse taper was alright and I am back on the hills now, without running 8+ miles each way. Running to hills from home was a pain, in both shoe choice and hydration/nutrition plan. With being able to drive, planning to do more doubles and get out to the hills during week while the days are long enough.

Just clocked over 100 day running streak of at least 5 miles every day (averaged 9.27 miles/day), so the current plan is to keep that going, bump up the mileage with a hope that Ochil Ultra (50 miler) goes ahead. Maybe even get to a 100 mile week, I'm not that far off (peaked at 90mpw and that wasn't a race week). Just really clutching for straws and trying to find some small wins.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...