UKC

LOCKDOWN QUIZ: Week 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Apr 2020
Lockdown Quiz prizes from Rab and Lowe Alpine

Need some mental stimulation while climbing the walls at home? Here's our first weekly instalment of our new series, the Lockdown Quiz, complete with questions across a range of topics from within the wonderful world of climbing. We have some great prizes from the series sponsor - Rab and Lowe Alpine - who'll be supplying both weekly spot prizes* and a 'grand prize' for the overall winner of the series. As such, keep the guesswork coming - it could be you!

*winners will be chosen at random from entrants.

PRIZES FROM LOWE ALPINE:

- Bag for Life
- Boot bag

Grand Prize: AirZone

PRIZES FROM RAB:

- Superflux hoodie
- Freight cap

Grand prize: Kaon

n.b. the winner can choose whether they want a men's/women's item and size/colour etc., subject to availability.

Climbing Roads section by Mark Glaister, Guess the Logo and Classic Rock questions from Rob Greenwood, and Literary Holwers questions by Peter Steward.

Read more
 Dave Rudkin 11 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Hi, can anyone help with why the crags aren’t loading on section 1, Climbing Roads? Route are loading, just the crags seem to permanently search.

In reply to Dave Rudkin:

Should work now

Webster 12 Apr 2020

it seams to me many of the answers to the route names in round 1 are non unique... there are many crags with routes of that name, and in the case of the monopoly question there are two different valid answers!

In reply to Webster:

Both "correct" monopoly answers should now be accepted as correct. thanks

Pedro50 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

I'm not overly bothered, it's a lighthearted quiz, however as Webster states, q4 has about 30 correct answers as to the route, how are we to choose the Crag? 

Martin Haworth 12 Apr 2020

I submitted my quiz but it seems to have only registered some of the pages I completed. Some of the pages such as the roads section are blank.

Misha 12 Apr 2020

I’m impressed by the leader board, assuming people didn’t refer to google or books. I got 15 right, 15 wrong and 15 didn’t even have a clue!

Pedro50 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Misha:

Well I did the quiz but I have disappeared from the leader board

Swirly 13 Apr 2020

Just want to say thanks for putting these together; it's been a good way to spend some time.

Mark Stevenson 13 Apr 2020

As normal, all very random - various multiple choice literary guesses proved correct but several others I was sure I answered correctly, didn't come up...

I wasn't quite sure what happened with Q29. So, after my answer came up as incorrect, I've looked into it further and it seems all super complicated so it probably isn't actually a fair question. 

One route had a partial ascent prior to the full ascent of a second. The FRCC seem to have accepted the partial ascent date as it is the one recorded in the latest select guide. That seems also to be the case in the 1997 edition of Classic Rock. 

However, the first ascent chronology in BOTH the 2007 second edition and the 2008 reprint of it is wrong!!!

The former references now the fuller ascent (or more correctly descent) but with the partial ascent date. The later has the correct date for the full descent of the but hasn't reversed the order of the first two routes to account for it.

Anyway, it is all a bit of a mess and if Ken Wilson couldn't get it sorted I think Rob has an excuse. 

Post edited at 23:35
 Pedro50 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Interesting although all a bit abstract at present due to your commendable effort to avoid spoilers. Perhaps we can revisit  next week. 

In reply to Mark Stevenson:

> Anyway, it is all a bit of a mess and if Ken Wilson couldn't get it sorted I think Rob has an excuse. 

Thanks Mark, I can (just about) sleep at night as a result of this - Ken will be watching over me...although he'll probably be shouting...

It sounds like there's a far more complicated answer than the simple one I'd come up with, but as per Pedro50's comment - let's delve into it next week when the answers are out.

On that note, we could probably do with getting the answers for Week 1 out too.

Watch this space...

In reply to Swirly:

Thanks fo the feedback.

Our plan is to keep them coming, although who knows how long for. It's certainly been a nice distraction putting the various rounds I've been involved with together, but it's a shame I can't enter them as a result!

Bolton Sixpack 15 Apr 2020

Don't understand why my answers to Q27 and Q31 are wrong??? I have first editions of the books (Q27) and know I entered it correctly. Also think you need to check your answer (and mine) as given where my answer finishes it has to be the highest altitude. Also dispute the answer to Q29. I got it right but actually the book and your website give the first ascent of another nearby climb in Classic Rock as being two years earlier. Can't get the Florida Keys to Georgia answer at all. Regards and thanks for what is proving to be a highly entertaining series!

TobyA 15 Apr 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Highway from Key West to Georgia border - OK, looked that up and get it now. But of course there are 30 or 40 routes in the database of that name. But in that list I couldn't see the route of that name which is to me at least the most obvious one. Hmmm... ah! Lets roman numerals rather than arabic numerals - excellent! There's "my" route of that name. Oh but a load more written that way also...

So how can we possibly know which of the 50 odd possible routes on crags around the world you were thinking of? :-/

TobyA 15 Apr 2020

And what does "What order were the ‘Rock Trilogy’ published in? (choose one)" mean? Are we meant to select the oldest?

edit: I'm now looking again having submitted my answers and all three books are there in each option...?!?!?!? When I did the quiz I'm sure each option was just showing one of the books??? I'm so confused!

Post edited at 17:19
In reply to Bolton Sixpack:

Easy answer to 27 is that it had indeed been incorrectly set, but this has now been sorted.

Moderately more complex answer to 31, which I'll have to be suitably vague on so not to give the actual answer away, is that you are mostly likely wrong - have another look and you'll hopefully see what I've done (it's a close call between the two options, but one definitely finishes that little bit higher than the other).

Interesting but (as you say) disputable answer to 29, which Mark Stevenson has already alluded to this earlier in the post, is that whilst it is indeed up for debate let's say that it's the most obvious and widely acknowledged option.

Finally, I'll pass the buck on the Florida Keys to Georgia question as that wasn't my round and having only given it a moment's thought am clueless to the answer as well!!

In reply to TobyA:

> And what does "What order were the ‘Rock Trilogy’ published in? (choose one)" mean? Are we meant to select the oldest?

I think you may be over-thinking this one, but maybe I haven't worded it as well as I could. In short, which was one published 1st (i.e. earliest), which one was published 2nd (i.e. next), and which one was published last.

Does that make more sense?

p.s. as per the above, I'm clueless about the Georgia question so no help from me there - sorry!

TobyA 15 Apr 2020

I want to see the answers now! It says I've q 31 wrong but as I picked the routes that comes out nearly at the summit cairn of the highest mountain in the UK, how can I have gotten it wrong?

TobyA 15 Apr 2020

See my edit above - I don't think my laptop displayed the page properly - what is saw was the question then:

• classic rock
  • extreme rock
  • hard rock

And you could only pick one - i.e. you couldn't sort them in order. Now looking I can see all three books are listed in each option, so you have to pick the order. Some weird code gremlins I think!

The Florida one has to be an incredibly common route name - so I picked the route of that name which I think of as most famous, but that perhaps shows my love of winter climbing as I went for  route of that name on the Ben.

Post edited at 17:27
 Swirly 15 Apr 2020

Something else I've discovered is that since I moved I have totally misplaced my copies of hard and classic rock. That's definitely cost me marks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...