UKC

LOCKDOWN QUIZ: Week 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 17 Apr 2020
Lockdown Quiz prizes from Rab and Lowe Alpine

Need some mental stimulation while climbing the walls at home? Here's our first weekly instalment of our new series, the Lockdown Quiz, complete with questions across a range of topics from within the wonderful world of climbing. We have some great prizes from the series sponsor - Rab and Lowe Alpine - who'll be supplying both weekly spot prizes* and a 'grand prize' for the overall winner of the series. As such, keep the guesswork coming - it could be you!

*winners will be chosen at random from entrants.

PRIZES FROM LOWE ALPINE:

- Bag for Life
- Boot bag

Grand Prize: AirZone

PRIZES FROM RAB:

- Superflux hoodie
- Freight cap

Grand prize: Kaon

n.b. the winner can choose whether they want a men's/women's item and size/colour etc., subject to availability.

Initials, Names, and History rouns by Ian Fenton. Tom Ripley made the Arial Crags questionsn, with Rob Greenwood creating the Extreme Rock section.

Read more
 remus Global Crag Moderator 17 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

The arial crags questions were tricky, a few give aways but lots of featureless green pastures too.

I'd also like to lodge a formal complaint about the answer to 27! There's 2 crags in the picture, only one of which gets you the right answer.

Post edited at 17:36
In reply to remus:

> The arial crags questions were tricky, a few give aways but lots of featureless green pastures too.

Full credit to Tom Ripley for this round, I thought his choices were inspired. 

> I'd also like to lodge a formal complaint about the answer to 27! There's 2 crags in the picture, only one of which gets you the right answer.

You're quite right, although there's probably more like four in total. That said, pick the largest, most extensive, and best known and you'll get the point

Post edited at 18:19
 Martin Bennett 18 Apr 2020

I enjoyed that, thanks. I did wonder if Q 6 was a trick question since none of the choices is correct, the name of the M. Bourdonneau in question being Edmond not Emile?

Also re Q 12 I believe it's "Chasin' The Trane" not "Chasin' the Train" it being a reference if John Coltrane's work entitled Chasin' The Trane as well, perhaps, as his nickname "Trane".

Sorry - I'm an inveterate nitpicker - just can't help myself!

TobyA 18 Apr 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> Full credit to Tom Ripley for this round, I thought his choices were inspired.

Does he get credit for naming the round after a font too?   <whispers> it's aerial I think, not arial</whispers>

In reply to TobyA:

Ha, I hadn’t spotted that - amazing 😂

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I don’t think they was me... Si V just pointed it out.

steveboote 18 Apr 2020
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I thought it a trick question ( and got it wrong) I.e. who was he referring to in the route name? ‘Train’

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Think we can happily blame my dyslexia for the spelling of that...

In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

To be fair it could have been me, my spelling is awful.

TobyA 18 Apr 2020

It's one of those stupid words as well, I looked at it and thought that's not how you spell it but at the same time for the life of me I couldn't think what the correct spelling was straight away. At least you didn't pick to do a round about a certain Disney mermaid!

Swirly 22 Apr 2020

Wow, that aerial crags round destroyed me. Great idea for a quiz round.

In reply to Swirly:

Wait ‘til you see aerial climbing walls planned for a couple of weeks...

Swirly 22 Apr 2020

To be followed by aerial home climbing walls no doubt.

Woody63 25 Apr 2020

Surprised to find I'd got 7 and 13 wrong.  Check answers please as I'm pretty confident my answers to these two are correct.  I was less confident about some of the others and haven't got a clue what 31 is!

Woody63 25 Apr 2020
In reply to Woody63:

Ha - I see where I went wrong now. Doh!

In reply to Woody63:

> Ha - I see where I went wrong now. Doh!

31) is an Irish version of everyone’s favourite Easter destination.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...