UKC

LOCKDOWN QUIZ: Week 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 24 Apr 2020
Lockdown Quiz prizes from Rab and Lowe Alpine

Need some mental stimulation while climbing the walls at home? Here's our first weekly instalment of our new series, the Lockdown Quiz, complete with questions across a range of topics from within the wonderful world of climbing. We have some great prizes from the series sponsor - Rab and Lowe Alpine - who'll be supplying both weekly spot prizes* and a 'grand prize' for the overall winner of the series. As such, keep the guesswork coming - it could be you!

*winners will be chosen at random from entrants.

PRIZES FROM LOWE ALPINE:

- Bag for Life
- Boot bag

Grand Prize: AirZone

PRIZES FROM RAB:

- Superflux hoodie
- Freight cap

Grand prize: Kaon

n.b. the winner can choose whether they want a men's/women's item and size/colour etc., subject to availability.

Joe Brown questions from Tom Ripley, with Ian Fenton creating the Guess the Name, Initials, and Routes, Mountains, Ascensionists rounds.

Read more
 simondgee 25 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Ref! I think it's marking some of the names wrong when they are correct? 

Woody63 25 Apr 2020

Unless I'm very much mistaken Q37 doesn't contain the correct option to answer Q36?? Email me if you want to know why I think this otherwise it rather gives the game away.

Post edited at 14:12
 Woody63 25 Apr 2020

It's also arguable the correct answer to Q39 is not included - first ascent or first free asent? - Loving doing these by the way!!!

Post edited at 14:53
 AdamJH 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Woody63:

I agree, but good fun anyway.

Bolton Sixpack 28 Apr 2020

Oi oi!!! I was robbed!!! Got two supposedly wrong.  So I tried the quiz again ("but your results will not be recorded") and it's not allowing any answers to be correct for the one question and I put a wrong answer in for the other to confirm that whoever set the question can't spell. Needless to say my wrong answer for that was marked correct. Shocking!!! Where's the appeals procedure. I am like so totally gutted  OMG. QCA/OFSTED/BMC full enquiry required!!!

But seriously these are brilliant - keep up the good work guys.  Email me to find which two if you don't have access to my answers.

Etta 29 Apr 2020

Wow, pretty close to 100% there. There were a couple of answers I wasn't sure of, which apparently I got right, but I got q4 wrong, even though I am sure of the answer (I own the guidebook and I double checked there). Anyway, loved this quiz (just like the previous ones) and I am looking forward to you posting the solutions online at some point, so I can learn something new.

Thanks for keeping us busy during lockdown

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 29 Apr 2020
In reply to Etta:

Wow, 97% is really impressive, Etta!

I thought this round was much harder than Week 3, though I've been doing these by just entering the ones I knew and guessing the rest in a single pass, rather than actually looking anything up.   I couldn't see a way to start entering the answers and then come back to the quiz (unless I'm missing something?).

That approach got me to just 42% this week, whereas I got 79% in Week 3.

Have the answers to Week 3 been posted yet, does anyone know?  I'd like to know the aerial crags I didn't recognise...

Neil

Etta 29 Apr 2020
In reply to Neil Foster:

I found the aerial round quite hard last week. The hardest quiz for me was week 2 so far! Well done you for your scores without looking anything up I quite enjoying the process of looking for answers I didn't know and learning something new. Not always possible of course, but it's a nice way of spending an hour on the internet!

In reply to Etta:

Wait until the US aerials coming next week!

And the 'who invented this' round too... 

Bolton Sixpack 10 May 2020

Q4: According to my guidebook and the UKC routes list for The Old Man Of Hoy Brown climbed the South face in 1967 not the west face.

Q14: Grond was climbed by Don Whillans not Joe Brown

Q24 Should be Baillie not Bailey.

Q37 should be 1985 - 1986 was the first winter ascent in 42 hrs by Profit.

Q39 first free ascent in winter was in 1986. The first winter ascent was in 1975.

Or am I wrong??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...