UKC

Lockdown belly!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 26 Apr 2020

Anyone else growing one or is it just me!!!?

In reply to abr1966:

Going the other way! Lost a stone and a half! (no maccies or meals out, no pubs and longer working hours)

I did have a sizeable belly a few years back though and they're uncomfortable aren't they, is there anything you can do? Some fasting? An exercise bike maybe? There must be something that can be done!!!

JoshOvki 26 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Same here, need to do something about it... tomorrow... after some cake.

I am actually going to go for a run tomorrow, my excuse before was I had no time, now I have the time.

angry pirate 26 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Yep, doing quite a bit of exercise but keeping the boys entertained baking cakes and me and my wife sane by drinking lots of wine has caused quite the increase in girth!

girlymonkey 26 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Someone on here mentioned a great new German word; coronaspeck. The word "speck" means bacon. So coronaspeck is the fat that people gain due to coronavirus quarantine!

I am currently doing just shy of 60km round trip on the bike to work. Work is busy with only 2 20 minute breaks in 12 hours, so not much chance for overeating on work days, which helps a lot!

Rob Parsons 27 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I am currently doing just shy of 60km round trip on the bike to work. Work is busy with only 2 20 minute breaks in 12 hours ...

What work did you end up getting?

girlymonkey 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Care assistant in a care home. Mostly dementia residents. Certainly keeps you busy when you are trying to keep them socially isolated in their rooms! It's like a big game of whack-a-mole all day! Lol

Rob Parsons 27 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Care assistant in a care home. Mostly dementia residents. Certainly keeps you busy when you are trying to keep them socially isolated in their rooms!

I'm pleased to hear that you got work. That's an important and demanding job - so good effort.

girlymonkey 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I think it's far less demanding than a supermarket job. You never stop so a 12 hour shift flies in and you don't get a chance to get bored. There is never a dull moment! I do need the bike commute though, you need the head clearance at the end of the day, but I'm sure I'd need it even more in a supermarket!

Babika 27 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Good heavens! I salute you! 

On the bike commute, the job you do and the very long shift. I feel pathetically useless by comparison.

I did apply to the NHS bank C&A in 2 local areas when it all kicked off and there was a chance of NHS being overwhelmed but neither needed help so I'm getting fat like the OP  

girlymonkey 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Babika:

I drive half way if the weather is foul, I'm not that hardcore! Lol

Genuinely, 12 hours doesn't feel like a long shift when you are so busy. If you still want work, ask some care homes. I'm sure you will be snapped up, I think they all need extra staff at the moment. I am on bank hours, but I think I could have pretty much as many as I want! We have to use agency staff at the moment quite a bit too as the minute anyone has anything slightly wrong with them they have to isolate and get tested before coming back. It's a constant revolving door of people off for testing!

yorkshire_lad2 27 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Yes, it feels like it.  Still running daily, but no hiking for 5 weeks.

Fortunately, I got a set of Tanita scales (RD-901) last summer, and have been taking irregular/periodic readings (more measurements that you can shake a stick at/ever wanted to know: Weight, BMI, Body Fat, Musc Mass, Muscle quality, Bone Mass, Visceral Fat, BMR, Metabolic Age, Water content and more), so I have some baseline/comparison readings.  The statistics are fairly steady and don't appear to have increased noticeably, but it feels like my belly is growing, so maybe the stuff is just getting "reallocated" to different places.

toad 27 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I’ve lost a bit of weight. Having my Mrs at home has stopped me snacking and improved my portion control at lunch and breakfast. 

Timmd 27 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I seem to eat dark chocolate in the way some drink alcohol, it being a habit, but I'm noticing that thinking about what I 'need' to go and buy compared to 'feel like buying' is helping me watch what I eat. Eating a huge bowl of porridge at mid morning and lasting through till dinner/tea has worked for me in the past towards losing weight. 

1 coffee cup of oats to 2 of water and 1 of milk, with extra milk trickled in as it gently bloops and thickens, it mostly fills one of those breakfast bowls which are giant cup shaped with a handle on, care needs to be with taken the heat and amount of milk added to stop it being runny, cooking it in a spirit of still waking up seems to work, the smaller coffee cup one can buy is used. A family friend who watched me cooking it while he did wood work for me likened it to wallpaper paste.

Post edited at 14:36
cb294 27 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Yes, me. Normally working 500km away from my family, now at home largely twiddling thumbs while my wife is back at school and was prefore teaching online. So I spend my time in the kitchen!

In addition, I have a weight machine in the basement, but never bothered with weight training after stopping with judo comps 25 years ago (bought the weight station for my son). Under lockdown, I have replaced the main handles for all pulling exercises with an old judo jacket. I have put on at four or five kg in upper body muscles already. The folk at my uni club are in for a nasty surprise when training resumes!

CB

Removed User 27 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I think my liver has put on a stone or so.

Toerag 27 Apr 2020
In reply to abr1966:

My missus seems to have shrunk all my trousers and shorts in the past month or so, I dunno if the machine is faulty....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...