UKC

The buck stops with the other guy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lorentz 28 Apr 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

It's bizarre isn't it. Like a petulant schoolboy protesting his innocence of a broken window with a catapult obviously visible in his back pocket.

groovejunkie 28 Apr 2020
In reply to lorentz:

> It's bizarre isn't it. Like a petulant schoolboy protesting his innocence of a broken window with a catapult obviously visible in his back pocket.

And the whole world saw you do it. Imagine being that thick skinned....staggering and terrifying. 

Dave Garnett 28 Apr 2020
In reply to groovejunkie:

> And the whole world saw you do it. Imagine being that thick skinned....staggering and terrifying. 

It's beyond being thick-skinned.  He has a frankly pathological absence of any sense of shame, guilt or responsibility.  Plus a pretty tenuous grasp of the distinction between right and wrong. 

Neil Williams 28 Apr 2020

In reply to DenzelLN:

Well, quite.

Though that said some people would have trouble with the idea that hospitals are using rat poison to save people from the clotting issue COVID seems to cause.

Not from Wilko's though...it just so happens that warfarin (a commonly used and cheap blood thinner) is also usable as rat poison, it works in that case by preventing clotting so the rat bleeds to death from even a minor injury.

(This sort of thing does sadly cause Trump's rubbish to be borderline credible in some people...)

Rigid Raider 28 Apr 2020

The folk who frequent web fora like UKC tend to be intelligent, well educated and definitely life experienced so I think they have little appreciation of the real levels of stupidity to be found around the world. 

deepsoup 28 Apr 2020
In reply to lorentz:

> It's bizarre isn't it. Like a petulant schoolboy protesting his innocence of a broken window with a catapult obviously visible in his back pocket.

Except that a petulant schoolboy doesn't go around claiming to have "total authority" at the same time as refusing to accept responsibility for anything.

wintertree 28 Apr 2020

The graph in this article says a lot.  To be fair it’s not just “don’t drink bleach” it’s also “never mix bleach with other household compounds”.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/americans-are-poisoning-themselves-...

nufkin 28 Apr 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

>  It's beyond being thick-skinned.  He has a frankly pathological absence of any sense of shame, guilt or responsibility.  Plus a pretty tenuous grasp of the distinction between right and wrong.

During the 2016 campaign I seem to remember reading someone (his ghostwriter, maybe) pointing out that he displays many of the traits associated with sociopathy. I don't suppose he's been formally assessed, but one can imagine, when watching his briefings, his internal monologue reminding him to try to say things one might expect of someone familiar with empathy, but not really succeeding. 
I'm not sure if 'he can't help it, he's a sociopath' is necessarily a reassuring explanation, given his position, but it might help provide a frame for understanding his behaviour

Hat Dude 28 Apr 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> The folk who frequent web fora like UKC tend to be intelligent, well educated and definitely life experienced 

Yore avin a larf ain't ya 😉

dread-i 28 Apr 2020
In reply to wintertree:

>To be fair it’s not just “don’t drink bleach”...

There is a sizeable number of people who would disagree with that. They tend to be American, well armed, religious etc. Or possibly just desperate.

People have promoted, and no doubt profited from, drinking bleach solution as a cure for autism, for example.

It's not the lack of science, its the pseudo science that's dangerous. Only 50% of these statements are untrue.

"Chlorine kills germs that make you ill. There for, illness can be cured by ingesting chlorine."

"UV light kills germs and viruses. Put a UV light into the body and it will cure illness by killing germs and viruses."

Dave Garnett 28 Apr 2020
In reply to nufkin:

> I'm not sure if 'he can't help it, he's a sociopath' is necessarily a reassuring explanation, given his position, but it might help provide a frame for understanding his behaviour

His lack of empathy and shame might not be quite so obvious if he wasn't also constantly thinking out loud and trying to figure out the exact location of the lowest common denominator to which he could appeal. 

I truly believe there is nothing he would not say if he thought it would get him more votes from his core constituency.  There is no subject about which he feels too ignorant to offer a confident opinion and he really doesn't care what anyone who isn't going to vote for him thinks. 

Crazylegs 28 Apr 2020

What especially worries me is what he would say shortly after pressing the big red nuke button?

"It's a beautiful button, but me, no I didn't press it?  Someone else told me to press it, and they lied. If I did press it, it was sarcasm. You're a disgrace for even asking why I pressed it."

Derry 28 Apr 2020
In reply to groovejunkie:

> And the whole world saw you do it. Imagine being that thick skinned....staggering and terrifying. 

I don't think you needed the word 'skinned' 

Tringa 29 Apr 2020

In the Trump view of the world it is a perfectly understandable reaction.

Everything he says/does that turns out well or is reasonable is due entirely to the great insight/leadership/knowledge(and as we know Donald knows more than just about anything than anyone else - and we know that because Donald has told us) of Donald Trump.

Anything he says that does not go well or makes him sound like a fully paid up fruit cake is nothing to do with him and probably they were caused by the fake news.

Two worrying things are

the Republican party seem to be happy supporting someone like Trump(who I guess they wouldn't touch with a barge pole if he wasn't a Republican) but perhaps their desire to stay in power overrides everything, and

there are some people(admittedly only a few) in the US who felt the need to contact their state to ask about Trump's comments about injecting disinfectant.

Dave 

Derry 29 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> the Republican party seem to be happy supporting someone like Trump(who I guess they wouldn't touch with a barge pole if he wasn't a Republican) but perhaps their desire to stay in power overrides everything, and

I think this is the thing that gets me most. Apart from Mitt Romney and the late John McCain, no one from his party seems to call him out for it, just falling in line in for the (supposed) fear of getting it in the ear/fired. Surely the majority of republican senators are slapping their forehead on a daily basis?

In reply to Derry:

Luke Pence refusing to wear a face mask when visiting a hospital (breaching their emergency rules). Someone should have slapped him and said 'wear a face mask, or you're not coming in for your photo op'.

Roadrunner6 29 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

The republican party are happy when he's winning. He's not.

The democrats are quiet right now because Trump is killing himself on a daily basis. their strategy just seems to be no news is good news, keep quiet, let Trump take himself down. He's underwater in 6 of 8 swing states polls (which were accurate in 2016 and 2018 despite views they weren't).

Their overwhelming view is to stay in power and he's risking the presidency and now even the senate.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

I hope you are right, but is he in that much trouble? Or is his bluster still going down well with his core voters? 

I'm aware that you are in the US and probably have a much better view of the whole picture.

Seeing the press in the UK I can't help but thinking he is completely unfit to run a minicab company let alone a country, but then I thought that before his election and he still got in. Could he win again?

Roadrunner6 29 Apr 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

He can certainly win again. Had this not happened I think he may well have but the economy has tanked and the 3rd quarter results will come out just before the election. We’re in for 2 bad quarters after this one.

Biden isn’t a strong candidate.

but he’s also not arrogant and will listen. Trumps press conferences every night are killing him - and litterally other Americans.

I listen to a local conservative radio show, a very moderate central conservative, was a Democrat, old guy. He’s just at a loss now. He said he could support trump and ignore his tweets until now. 

The big issues is postal voting. The GOP want to stop it, yet it already happens, but needs broadening. That’ll be a lot of votes.

Ive a friend who quit his job as an air host to work for The Michigan Governors campaign. That’s a swing state and she’s still largely popular and Trump is openly at war with he.  It’s damaging the GOP prospects in a crucial swing state.

Post edited at 17:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...