UKC

Unexpected consequences of the pandemic no. 227..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Kemp 30 Apr 2020

Should have guessed they’d be affected...
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/30/condom-sales-down-as-lockdo...

PS - Hope they don't go bust... 

Post edited at 15:53
 wercat 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

if ever there was an industry that could adapt to meet the demand for PPE ...

In reply to wercat:

> if ever there was an industry that could adapt to meet the demand for PPE ...

Are you suggesting this

youtube.com/watch?v=asouPYvrUtY&

😂

wercat 01 May 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

glad you are finding a way to keep our spirits up! 

yorkshire_lad2 01 May 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Durex are owned by Reckitt Benckiser (the same people that make Dettol).  RB's Q1 results yesterday don't seem to have been too shabby

Quote from the Guardian article:

Narasimhan said the amount of sex people were having had “gone down a lot in Italy”.

I can see that one making an appearance on Dead Ringers / HIGNFY et al

Lankyman 01 May 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> PS - Hope they don't go bust... 

Oh come on ..... !

mick taylor 01 May 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

You've been ribbed.

wercat 01 May 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

this thread is getting like the kind of jokes Humphrey would have enjoyed with Sven while Samantha was entertaining the audience

john arran 01 May 2020
In reply to wercat:

The rubber Johnny manufacturers may well be expanding as a result of coronavirus. Though competition will be stiff, they may not be as sensitive to the wilting economy and they surely are best placed to bounce back afterwards.

In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

> Narasimhan said the amount of sex people were having had “gone down a lot in Italy”.

It's gone down even more in France and as for Greece...

wercat 02 May 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

That is surprising as Sven and Samantha often holiday together in those countries

In reply to Bob Kemp:

No, they won't go bust. They have an elastic business model and excellent market penetration.

Lankyman 02 May 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

> No, they won't go bust. They have an elastic business model and excellent market penetration.

Don't you think the market will be hard on them? Certainly if they go in too deep.

Post edited at 13:40
 oldie 02 May 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

>Re: "Narasimhan said the amount of sex people were having had “gone down a lot in Italy”. " It's gone down even more in France and as for Greece... <

Even with those reductions there may well be a baby boom in nine months. I imagine "productive" intra-household sex may well have increased. Non-household sex must be severely limited by lockdown.

David55 02 May 2020
In reply to john arran:

It is wonderful to  see  the term " rubber johnny " still in  use. I  am  glad it hasn't  entirely  died out.

Rick Graham 02 May 2020
In reply to David55:

> It is wonderful to  see  the term " rubber johnny " still in  use. I  am  glad it hasn't  entirely  died out.

My old man used to talk about the reuseable ones presumably available during or just after WW2.

Wash and go

DoctorYoghourt 02 May 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

The harsh reality is that most people, being confined to quarters, are only having intercourse of a sexual nature with their cohabitees.  Once the hotels, saunas and swingers clubs re-open - and people can travel to see their extramural buddies there'll be more demand for condoms!  Roll on, we say!

Baron Weasel 02 May 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I stockpiled a hundred at the start of lock down. 

Dr.S at work 02 May 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I’m glad somebody was on top of PPE!

profitofdoom 03 May 2020

> I stockpiled a hundred at the start of lock down. 

Only a hundred??! Can't you try to be a bit more optimistic?? What happened to the Dunkirk spirit (?), the sun never sets on our Glorious Empire (?), from sea to shining sea (what?), Land Of Hope And Glory, one for the Old School (eh?), a jewel set in a silver sea (what?)

No wonder the country's going to the dogs

FactorXXX 03 May 2020

> I stockpiled a hundred at the start of lock down. 

I roll my own with cling film.

Baron Weasel 03 May 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

Camberwell Carrot? 

wercat 03 May 2020

imagine, spending Lockdown at Crow Crag, not even able to visit "Penrith Tearooms"...

Lankyman 03 May 2020
In reply to wercat:

> imagine, spending Lockdown at Crow Crag, not even able to visit "Penrith Tearooms"...

That really would be going on holiday 'by mistake'.

In reply to Bob Kemp:

How about unisex public toilets and going back to 'hole in the floor' style bogs as potential consequences of Covid!

People are pointing out that hygiene in public toilets is really bad for an infectious disease like Covid because they are totally full of surfaces which you need to touch.  Covid is present in faeces as well as spit.   Doors on the way in, cubicle doors, toilet seat, toilet handle. tap handles, soap dispensers, dryer buttons.   They reckon that if public toilets are not seen as safe it will limit people getting out and about again.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/04/sensor-taps-door-handles-co...

So the suggestion is redesigning everything with sensors instead of mechanical things that need pushed, self-cleaning cubicles and that there should be a hygiene code for public bogs in the same way as there is a fire code for buildings.

It seems logical that if not touching things is the goal a 'hole in the floor' stall is better than a sit down one, especially if it needs to be self-cleaning between 'customers'.

Also, if pretty much every public toilet is going to need an expensive redesign and rebuild to meet a new hygiene code at a time when there's also a demand to support trans people companies might decide to kill two birds with one stone and save some money by replacing two gender-specific bogs with a unisex one.

Post edited at 04:19
 Hat Dude 04 May 2020
In reply to wercat:

> That is surprising as Sven and Samantha often holiday together in those countries

Have you not heard, Sven and Samantha have split up

She's now looking for a rich older sugardaddy and is hoping he'll splash out on her

wercat 04 May 2020
In reply to Hat Dude:

aww!  That's really put me off my stroke ...

oldie 04 May 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

>Re; Condoms. My old man used to talk about the reuseable ones presumably available during or just after WW2.  Wash and go <

If I remember correctly that's precisely what NHS nurses were being asked to do with disposable PPE, when the consequences might be even greater. So should be perfectly acceptable for any household Tom, Dick and Harriet.

Baron Weasel 05 May 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> I’m glad somebody was on top of PPE!

If I hadn't it would have been a real cockup...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...