UKC

NEWS: New FA by Steve McClure critiqued on TV's Gogglebox

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 04 May 2020

Steve McClure recently bolted a striking line up the side of his house in Sheffield. His endeavour attracted the attention of ITV News, who reported the ascent to the nation as part of a segment on athletes training at home. A few days later, Steve's interview was put in front of the discerning group of Gogglebox television couch-critics, who were quick to try and pull Steve firmly back down to earth...

Read more
 Ramon Marin 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Maybe I've been in lockdown for too long but that actually looks like a good climb! Nice small gritstone edges I assume, worst case case scenario sandstone. I'll take that over a beastmaker any day

Lankyman 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Lockdown must be hell for those Goggleboxers. All that sitting around on their big a*ses just watching telly.

simoninger 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Very jealous of Steve’s wall. If it were mine it would be covered in chalk. And probably chipped holds. But mine’s pebbledash 🙁

In reply to UKC News: 

Isn’t this a little hypocritical for UKC to support Steve on Twitter when UKC have been actively discouraging climbing outdoors for week now. Yes it’s local and sure no travel was involved. 

I also couldn’t help notice that perhaps the most important quote from the show was missed from this article. The one relating to if Steve had fallen and hurt himself, he’d possibly put unnecessary pressure on the NHS. 

Just a thought.

Post edited at 13:04
 jrobinson 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I find it disappointing that these clips demonstrate a lack of appreciation for the training and determination it takes to become proficient at any skill.

mrphilipoldham 04 May 2020
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

Hear, hear.

Steve isn’t special, he shouldn’t be climbing. Solidarity with those who can’t etc.. 🙄

In reply to UKC News:

I'm sorry but is no one going to dissect the belaying...

Sean Kelly 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Its wise to remember that this was the only type of wall that was available to climbers at one time years back. Remember the pics of OGJ on the walls of the Wasdale Hotel and similar. And as to the comment about causing extra problems for the NHS, FG'sS the guy had a top-rope or was clipping on lead. No more dangerous than the local climbing wall!

Post edited at 13:21
 ashtond6 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

UKC forum users bringing the joys of spring as per usual  

I'm sure you are all remaining in bed or on the sofa, not crossing roads or anything remotely dangerous! 

LJH 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I can see he just did it for a bit of fun and to lift moral. However it also illustrates how detached some athletes are from the general publics reality.

A lot of the country are probably stuck in flats and small house's wondering if they will lose relative's and make ends meet after they lose job. So personally I wouldn't be surprised if the general public didn't quite see it through the same eyes as Steve does.

I thought of bolting a bridge down the road but if I do it defo will be on the quiet..😜

simes303 04 May 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Hear, hear.

> Steve isn’t special, he shouldn’t be climbing. Solidarity with those who can’t etc.. 🙄

He's not out in the peak district, it's the side of his house. What's wrong with that?

We've got to remember that this is TV - of course the Gogglebox viewers are going to overreact to it. I wouldn't take their comments too seriously. All a bit of cynical fun. 

Agree with Rock&SausageRoll that to a lot of people climbing up your house because you can't go out and climb might seem ridiculous at the moment, or at any time. 

Post edited at 13:56
 J Whittaker 04 May 2020

> Isn’t this a little hypocritical for UKC to support Steve on Twitter when UKC have been actively discouraging climbing outdoors for week now. Yes it’s local and sure no travel was involved. 

> I also couldn’t help notice that perhaps the most important quote from the show was missed from this article. The one relating to if Steve had fallen and hurt himself, he’d possibly put unnecessary pressure on the NHS. 

> Just a thought.

Whoop whoop thats the sound of tha police! whoop whoop thats the sound of the beast!

David Clover 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Oh so outdoor sport climbing is ok to do now? Sweet

In reply to J Whittaker:

> Whoop whoop thats the sound of tha police! 

Nee naw, nee naw! Was that too serious for a Monday, sorry my bad! 😉

On a serious note, my original post was meant to be lighthearted. Not a toxic point the finger attack. 

I still stand by my point, it’s a valid one IMO. 

Post edited at 14:18
 Robert Durran 04 May 2020

> On a serious note, my original post was meant to be lighthearted. Not a toxic point the finger attack. 

> I still stand by my point, it’s a valid one IMO. 

So are you criticising him or UKC or not?

Luke90 04 May 2020
In reply to David Clover:

> Oh so outdoor sport climbing is ok to do now? Sweet

If it's in your own garden with a member of your household belaying, yeah, I reckon so.

In reply to Robert Durran:

> So are you criticising him or UKC or not?

Im criticising UKC as a social media outlet for supporting climbing during this pandemic whilest it has been actively discouraging the activity. 

For sure I’m criticising Steve a little, but not in a nasty way. We’re all allowed to have our own opinions and mine is that what he done was just as risky as climbing elsewhere.

Isn’t that the main reason not to climb at the moment, unnessesary risk avoidance?

Post edited at 14:40
 arast 04 May 2020

No, it's to not spread coronavirus....

In reply to arast:

> No, it's to not spread coronavirus....

I have to disagree.  There was a thread on here about mountain rescue and when I said it was stretching things a little to suggest that going for a walk was irresponsible I was shot down in no uncertain terms. In fact one MR team member was very abusive. Most people said it was irresponsible to put others at risk and that was the reason for the lockdown.  I make no judgement either way but UKC can't have it both ways just because it's Steve McClure and it's entertaining.

If I'm honest I do not recall UKC's stance on this. The BMC were quite unequivocal so I will be interested to see their response to this.

Al

Post edited at 15:41
 arast 04 May 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Mountain rescue won’t be required to rescue him from his garden. Sport climbing is very low risk compared to driving, crossing the road, smoking, drinking alcohol etc etc etc. Obviously we shouldn’t be going to crags at the moment but climbing with a rope in your own garden, belayed by your family who you live with. Absolutely fine

Post edited at 15:44

> I have to disagree.  There was a thread on here about mountain rescue and when I said it was stretching things a little to suggest that going for a walk was irresponsible I was shot down in no uncertain terms. In fact one MR team member was very abusive.

The line the MR seems to have been taking is that we should not be doing things which, if there were an accident, would necessitate a MR callout rather than an ambulance, since a MR callout might require a large team without PPE and with social distancing difficult - so this is about not spreading the virus. So, if the activity is at a similar risk level or lower to example activities permitted (such as  cycling) and an accident would not require mountain rescue, it is presumaby fine. Steve McClure's house climbing is, I think, obviously ok by this criterion (as are limited other forms of climbing).

Edit: Anyway, what about all these people making videos of themselves climbing around the insides of their houses - in many cases just as, if not more, risky!

Post edited at 15:55
 maxrose 04 May 2020
In reply to arast:

Ban all climbing for good I say, irresponsible in every respect. Close the crags for good. People should be finding other less dangerous activities to do like smoking and drinking and playing in the street

Studies show that climbing is bad for health and DANGER

AMorris 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I knew the UKC forums were going to have some entertainingly shortsighted opinions, but I didn't think they would be quite as bad as "he is putting unnecessary pressure on the NHS". I wonder if these people have ever (as most climbers have) found themselves in the position of defending sport climbing as safer than, say, cycling or surfing? Surely not, since that would be an embarrassing display of 'double-think', and you never see that round these parts...

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Is it on the UKC database yet?!

In reply to arast:

That's not the point I was making.  I agree with you but the message that has been put out is that we should not be participating in any hazardous activity because we are putting ALL emergency services at risk.  I just used mountain rescue to illustrate the point. And I would put climbing, in any situation, slightly above walking in the risk stakes. My point is that specific bodies putting out one message but then actively promoting the opposite is unhelpful.  No matter where you stand on what Steve has done.

Al

Post edited at 16:43
 newtonmore 04 May 2020

Does that mean I can climb at farlletter sport crag Robert, it’s roadside so no need for MR if I hurt myself. Also I can get there on my bike. Please say yes I’m desperate to climb 😉

In reply to newtonmore:

> Does that mean I can climb at farlletter sport crag Robert, it’s roadside so no need for MR if I hurt myself. Also I can get there on my bike. Please say yes I’m desperate to climb 😉

Assuming you are socially distanced, I think that the only issue, other than the possible irrational disapproval of your peers and the public, is that walking, cycling and running are given as the "permitted" activities by guidance in Scotland, rather than "exemplar" activities in England, though whether there is a legal difference is unclear to me.

LJH 04 May 2020
In reply to AMorris:

My angle on this is with a bit more thinking it could have be a big thumbs up to the climbing community instead of controversial. If you have the influence of main stream TV wouldn't the below have been a better angle...

"Steve climbs the wall for care homes"

Do it on top rope and point out it's very safe. Say you will climb the wall for every £5 rasied...? 

With a main stream TV publicity he would probably have raised 100k by now and be on breakfast TV showing us climbers as a cracking bunch.

As they say with great fame came great responsibility..

Sean_J 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Completely ignoring all discussions of rights/wrongs above - from an engineering point of view i'd love to know more about the bolting details. I know that Steve is a suitably qualified engineer and you could say he's probably placed a few bolts himself over the years, so he's probably the best qualified on UKC to do it! Would they just be placed in the centres of the blocks as you would at a natural crag (and if so, resin or expansion?), did he bolt through the wall and add plates on the inside wall of the house? I would have thought that the mortar joints would render a block wall to be relatively weak compared to a solid crag. Or maybe he's just careful not to take any whippers?

AMorris 04 May 2020
In reply to LJH:

I am completely confused by this response. You are critical of Steve because ITV decided to do a segment on him climbing his house and he decided to just let them rather than attempt to milk it for charity? Do you really think that the general public (by which I mean gogglebox people, since that is the only criticism we have to go off) are going to give a damn about the nuance of TRing against leading? Also, given that it is bolted, you would have to manipulate the truth by suggesting sport leading is more dangerous than it actually is, which is basically no more dangerous than top roping.

Given the responses from gogglebox viewers at him doing it with no monetary incentive, I feel like they are hardly likely to reach for their wallet if he asks them to donate...

I see no difference between what he is doing and some random training on his home woodie, apart from the fact that a rope is involved.

LJH 04 May 2020
In reply to AMorris:

I am not being critical am I ? Just stating the facts about how the general public reacted.

I am just pointing out that it could have achieved more in the current climate.. I see the opportunity to help others as a good thing.

Timmd 04 May 2020

> Isn’t this a little hypocritical for UKC to support Steve on Twitter when UKC have been actively discouraging climbing outdoors for week now. Yes it’s local and sure no travel was involved. 

> I also couldn’t help notice that perhaps the most important quote from the show was missed from this article. The one relating to if Steve had fallen and hurt himself, he’d possibly put unnecessary pressure on the NHS. 

> Just a thought.

I thought there was an interesting contrast between UKC saying 'No climbing' essentially and sharing this, too but it's not a biggie in the scheme of things...

Post edited at 17:30
 UKB Shark 04 May 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

> Is it on the UKC database yet?!

..and can we tick it if it is?

In reply to Timmd:

I agree, in the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal, not with all that’s happening around the world. 

My opinion obviously isn’t the popular one and that’s fine, it’s just an opinion. 

I look forward to getting back out on the crags again soon. 

overdrawnboy 04 May 2020

> So are you criticising him or UKC or not?

Away from the main topic, I like your use of  "criticising" . When did "critique" become a verb?

Andy Clarke 04 May 2020
In reply to overdrawnboy:

> When did "critique" become a verb?

In reply to overdrawnboy:

> Away from the main topic, I like your use of  "criticising" . When did "critique" become a verb?

Sorry, I do not know what your point is.

Will Hunt 04 May 2020

Have you seen what this idiot is doing? Climbing outside is one thing but putting on social media is quite another.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_r7xPODdpu/?igshid=osanq159iqs8

Post edited at 18:38
In reply to Will Hunt:

Oh stop, you’ll set me off again 👮‍♂️

AMorris 04 May 2020
In reply to LJH:

oof well who can argue with someone so firmly planted on the fence! To my mind the criticism was implicit in your post, but clearly you don't fancy taking a position on either side. Fair enough.

> Just stating the facts about how the general public reacted.

Unless you have hidden your posts well, I don't see anywhere where you have done any such thing? Only general meanderings on how Steve could have used his 'great power' for achieving something. Given their reactions I really don't see how him asking for charity donations would not have garnered even more ridicule... British people are cynical enough, they don't need that kind of encouragement.

> I am just pointing out that it could have achieved more in the current climate.. I see the opportunity to help others as a good thing.

This sounds like a criticism...

LJH 04 May 2020
In reply to AMorris:

I am sorry if you feel that way..

At the most I feel both my posts probably offer constructive criticism aimed at making those who represent are sport on the public stage aware of possible ways there actions can be interpreted. Then also ways they can possibly also help do some good with publicity they receive.

You seem to hate the concept trying to help others and seem pretty angry that I won't argue... Interesting.

AMorris 04 May 2020
In reply to LJH:

> You seem to hate the concept trying to help others and seem pretty angry that I won't argue... Interesting.

Perhaps I just disagree with the things you say and think they are shortsighted? Glad you find me interesting though, the feeling is not mutual

In reply to newtonmore: I bet it’s chalked currently...

Stone Muppet 04 May 2020

Following this coverage I look forward to Ukc immediately unlocking the database so we can log ascents again. May I suggest integration with strava so we can provide evidence we got to the crag by walk or bike.

newtonmore 04 May 2020
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Na it’s not, I had a look the other day when cycling home, There’s no way I’m being the first 🙄 

Post edited at 00:00
 ChrisBrooke 05 May 2020
In reply to Will Hunt:

> Have you seen what this idiot is doing? Climbing outside is one thing but putting on social media is quite another.

As per Alan’s cartoon, recently reposted: looks like he missed out the first few moves, starting as high as that!

Tom Last 05 May 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Is it on the UKC database yet?!

A friend of mine, having found a great new undeveloped crag out on Bodmin Moor, wanted to start writing up routes in his logbook but without giving the game away. So he dropped the UKC location pin on his house in Launceston.

Somehow map interpretation skills were obviously lost on another pair of local activists when having got wind of the classy new lines, they were somewhat deflated to find themselves pulling - bit between their teeth - into Richard’s cul-de-sac 😂

Post edited at 00:53
In reply to UKC News: 

It’s not just Steve that’s going stir crazy...

Route Name: Bricking It
Grade: F5

vimeo.com/414798904

#climbing #climbingthewalls #BMClockdown #holdzclimbing #lockdown #COVID19 #COVID #expansionbolts #runout #ratherbeoutside #belper #adventure #adventuretime

Michael Gordon 05 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I thought this was great, cheered me up no end! Some on here must have lost their sense of humour...

In reply to Michael Gordon:

I’ve been bouldering most days for a couple of hours, in the Peak District. Should I just hand myself in to the authorities?

LJH 05 May 2020
In reply to BlakeyDerbyshire:

Lol, That could be an E5 if as your # suggests they are expansion bolts into brick?

Expansion bolts are notoriously Sh!t into most forms of brick. Due to the manufacturing methods, bricks tend to have a lot of voids and hairline factures. So they are ok in compression but don't like shear or tension much.

Just thought it worth a mention before someone blindly copies and the lower off fails.

Just for clarity, this is in response to Blakey 21, not Steve.

In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> I’ve been bouldering most days for a couple of hours, in the Peak District. Should I just hand myself in to the authorities?

No. I imagine they’ve got enough on their plate.

I wouldn’t shout about, particularly on this forum, as you may under in a virtual version of the Salem Witch Trails. 

ste mac 05 May 2020
In reply to LJH:

good point about bolts in brick. The brick age also makes a difference too. For me the bolts in the wall were straight into solid grit blocks, and feel very solid indeed! But I've only really been top-roping anyway and not falling onto the bolts.

LJH 05 May 2020
In reply to ste mac:

Agree... Your base material is much better.

Does no harm to point this stuff out to people. Illustrates the level of thought required.

Cheers..

Matt Clifton 05 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant - another inspiring home wall project!

I am surprised this thread has, to a post, swerved the issue of bolting Yorkshire grit. Wouldn't pegs have been more acceptable 

Ridge 05 May 2020

> Assuming you are socially distanced, I think that the only issue, other than the possible irrational disapproval of your peers and the public, is that walking, cycling and running are given as the "permitted" activities by guidance in Scotland, rather than "exemplar" activities in England, though whether there is a legal difference is unclear to me.

As I understand it, (probably wrongly), the law allows you to do anything you want, unless its expressly prohibited in legislation. Permitted activities seems to imply the Scottish goverment have banned any form of exercise apart from those listed, which seems it bit draconian.

Edit. Plus 'guidance' isn't legally binding, so I don't see how it can prohibit anything without legal underpinning.

Post edited at 14:14

> I thought this was great, cheered me up no end! Some on here must have lost their sense of humour...

Not at all I was very amused that UKC were putting out a message that no one should be undertaking hazardous activities then days afterwards promoting someone undertaking a hazardous activity.  Don't get me wrong I see nothing wrong in what he has done but I got slaughtered on here for suggesting that previously. I can't wait to here UKC's response.

Al

Monkeysee 05 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Pretty sure watching other people watch TV is the dictionary definition of pathetic 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Monkeysee 05 May 2020

Your are joking 😂 , , , Right ? 

Monkeysee 05 May 2020

Were all allowed are own opinions ,  it's just some of us realise this will all be over soon enough and we will remember the pathetic opinion's and stupid Un constructive comments!   Much bigger things to worry your nose about than someone climbing ffs! 

Monkeysee 05 May 2020
In reply to David Clover:

Pathetic shitehawk stuff that right there 😉

Monkeysee 05 May 2020

Pathetic shitehawk 😉

Monkeysee 05 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Why would you run an article with potential for the shitehawks to jump all over it !!?? Well there's only a few but if they get it out into mainsteam fake news media it could look bad on climbing in general !! 🤔 

Only take's a few pathetic spoil sports !

> Hear, hear.

> Steve isn’t special, he shouldn’t be climbing. Solidarity with those who can’t etc.. 🙄

He's not climbing, he's messing around in his garden. Probably no more dangerous than mowing the lawn. You'll be telling people next they can't use a Beastmaker etc

> Not at all I was very amused that UKC were putting out a message that no one should be undertaking hazardous activities then days afterwards promoting someone undertaking a hazardous activity.  Don't get me wrong I see nothing wrong in what he has done but I got slaughtered on here for suggesting that previously. I can't wait to here UKC's response.

> Al

How is it hazardous. I seem to recall you were doing something outside government guidelines so left yourself open to criticism (slaughtering I don't remember) You seem happy to pile in on Steve though (getting your own back?)

Michael Gordon 06 May 2020
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Well, he clearly is climbing. But since he's clarified that he top roped until happy with the route and then went for the lead, it's clearly pretty low risk considering the margin he has. And yes, he didn't have to leave his house! 

ste mac 06 May 2020

Ironically, I've not even tried to lead the route, and it wasn't really my intention to try. It was just a toprope training route to keep me psyched. The TV guys wanted it to look like what I'd do in real life so I staged a few clips off good holds low to the ground. At the time I didn't spot how this may offend people. In retrospect I should have pointed out it was safe and stuck to TR, but we spent our whole time thinking about how to stay at least 2m apart when filming!

Wil Treasure 06 May 2020
In reply to ste mac:

So the first ascent is still up for grabs?

John2 06 May 2020

'Probably no more dangerous than mowing the lawn'

Indeed. There was once a letter to the Times from an A&E medic saying that for him the first sign of spring wasn't the first cuckoo call but the first patient who had amputated a toe with a hover mower.

Can you not read?  I supported Steve. If I'm piling in on anybody it's UKC for hypocrisy.  And by the way I have not left the house for almost 7 weeks.  Please get your facts straight before posting untrue nonsense.  I was being criticised for the opposite in fact.  It was for suggesting that some activities were in fact low risk. So you have got this and me wrong in every sense.  Not only wrong but arse about face.  Care to comment now?

Al

Post edited at 09:19

My previous post was a little harsh.  Apologies. But you have got things the wrong way round.

Al

> My previous post was a little harsh.  Apologies. But you have got things the wrong way round.

> Al

I probably misinterpreted. Apologies all round. 

Iamgregp 06 May 2020
In reply to LJH:

I don't think they're actual bricks on Steve's house though?  It looks like stone that has been cut into brick shapes to me, not bricks formed from clay... 

Misha 06 May 2020
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> I wouldn’t shout about, particularly on this forum, as you may under in a virtual versio of the Salem Witch Trails. 

Virtual is fine. You can’t walk on the Salem Witch Trails for real though until about autumn 2022. 

Misha 06 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I’m disappointed that some people are being so critical. I don’t really see how this is different to training on a Beastmaker, except that it’s more fun and perhaps more useful. The risk with top roping and an experienced belayer is virtually zero.  Even if Steve were to lead it, I wouldn’t be at all concerned about it. I suspect some people are just jealous.

ChrisBrooke 07 May 2020
In reply to Misha:

>  I suspect some people are just jealous.

I've not posted on this thread, but I'm jealous! From where I live I could be bouldering perfectly happily and safely at Burbage North in under ten minutes. I'm not doing so for reasons that have been discussed on here in one thread or another every day for the last seven weeks. I would dearly love to. Part of the argument has always been a 'safety' one, so seeing ANY form of 'proper' climbing taking place (for this definition: rope, harness, non plastic/wood holds etc) certainly stokes the jealousy module, fairly or otherwise. I don't think (and certainly hope) anyone is genuinely, seriously suggesting he's actually endangering himself or others. More just pointing out that he's climbing when we're 'not supposed to be'...... i.e. many of us aren't convinced by the logic of the 'ban' but are restraining ourselves anyway for lots of reasons (again, as discussed on here ad nauseum)

Post edited at 09:48
 ChrisBrooke 07 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

p.s. For what it's worth, there's been an obvious increase in activity in the Peak over the last couple of weeks. I've been cycling a few times (from the door etc) but am starting to see lots more of cars in the usual spots and the roads feel *a lot* busier. A neighbour was telling me he's seen folks out with pads. The foot is definitely coming slowly off the brake around here as people get increasingly fatigued at staying home for weeks on end during one of the best spells of weather in ages. 

ALF_BELF 07 May 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Wow. This thread has turned to a shower of shite! Going to slowly click back on my browser and never return to this toxic sewer ¯_(ツ)_/¯. Now someone get me a bag of space raiders 

nufkin 07 May 2020

>  Steve isn’t special, he shouldn’t be climbing. Solidarity with those who can’t etc

It is my fervent hope that everyone married/co-habiting has been spending isolation in chaste abstinence out of solidarity for those of us who aren't able to sneak round to a significant other's house without getting shopped to the Bill

Misha 07 May 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

If it’s safe, I don’t see what the issue is. Climbing on your house is obviously not going to cause any access issues, nor is it breaking any rules. I don’t buy the argument that just because most people can’t / don’t want to climb, no one should climb at all. It’s essentially a home wall (literally!), nothing wrong with that.

As you say, patience is running out for some people. That was to be expected.

Steve, thanks for a fun video!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...