UKC

Glue for climbing shoe repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olddirtydoggy 24 May 2020

I've got a pair of Scarpa Vapours that still have some life in them after being resoled once already. This season, the edges of where the rubber up the back and sides finish on the shoe have started peeling back. I need to glue the rubber back on but would like some positive feedback on glue types members have used. Thanks in advance.

migs493 24 May 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Try Shoe Goo (available from various online retailers). I've used it for several years. If used carefully it can extend the life of a pair of shoes by several months or years. 

OP olddirtydoggy 24 May 2020
In reply to migs493:

Greatful for the reply. Naturally before posting here I did a quick search to see what I could find and there does seem to be mixed feedback from the web about Shoe Goo. It could be that those who have had negative experiences didn't clean the area, had soles hanging off or just didn't follow the directions. Thanks, anyone else?

smally 24 May 2020

Renia Klebfest Neoprene glue is excellent. Small tubes available on ebay etc.

Had very good results with it.

Cheers, Iain

Rick Graham 24 May 2020

Shoe goo is great for patching over holes but not all bonding jobs. It does have  a nasty habit of running before it sets.

Be careful on eBay about the size /weight you will actually receive , some ads are very misleading .

For bonding , I used to use superglue but will now try smallys recommendation.

Niall_H 24 May 2020

If you're sticking rubber back on, ShoeGoo is good.  If you're rebuilding parts of the shoe, it's a bit slippy as a surface, and McNett Freesole works better.

Denzil 24 May 2020

Used Shoe Goo to stick the soles of a pair of boots where dealing with the heat of the 2018 Saddleworth fire had caused them to start peeling off at the edges. Did make sure I cleaned the areas very well, but worked great and still regularly using the boots.

wbo2 24 May 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy: I wasn't super impressed with show-goo and tend to just go with generic superglue gel.  Certainly for what you describe as it need to glue, and isn't a surface repair

Martin Bennett 24 May 2020
In reply to smally:

> Renia Klebfest Neoprene glue is excellent. Small tubes available on ebay etc.

Thanks for the tip. I looked on eBay and people seem to be offering what appears to be the same thing for prices from £2.25 to £22.00! If you get a minute please can you tell me how much are you paying for it? Maybe the cheapest stuff is fake? Thanks. Martin.

smally 24 May 2020
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Hi Martin,

I have used several of the small tubes, 30g or 60g, available on ebay. Price for the smallest was £2 odd and certainly no complaints. Make sure it is the neoprene Klebfest, they do a huge range of glues some of which may not work so well.

Make sure all the surfaces are clean, apply to both faces , wait for 10 minutes then really press the surfaces together with force. I reckon superglue is inferior for any shoe repair, although quick and easy. It's very brittle when cured which doesn't work well .

During lockdown I decided to try a resole on some wall shoes, taking the sole units from a pair of shoes I never got on with. The Klebfest worked a treat , now I just need to get out later this week when our Phase 1 easing begins and test them out.

Good luck, Iain.

Post edited at 21:01
OP olddirtydoggy 24 May 2020

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to give the Klebfest a go. Some of the info I've read suggests it to be a more commercial product so I'll report back with results. Thanks again.

daWalt 24 May 2020

Personally I'd use a shoe glue (goo just being one brand). they are designed to be flexible while still holding. superglue can be brittle, and eventually crumble.

don't want to sound condescending, but, read the instructions. if it says apply to both surfaces, wait until tacky, then press together - then do just that (it's a mess if you don't, the surfaces slide around, and the glue doesn't take.

flexible glues often need a bit of moisture, so stick em in a plastic bag while they cure to stop the glue drying out.

the most difficult thing is finding a way to keep the two surfaces pressed together; in the right shape.

LastBoyScout 24 May 2020

https://www.bison.net/en/product.2823

This is very good for lots of things - repaired my daughter's shoes with it where she kept scuffing them on her scooter.

Used it today to fix the paddling pool leak and a couple of other things.

Get it on Amazon, eBay, etc.

Jon Greengrass 25 May 2020

Evo-Stik Impact adhesive works fine, with the bonus  that ou may already have a tube or tin. I've even resoled a pair of shoes myself using it.

Martin Bennett 02 Jun 2020
In reply to smally:

> Hi Martin,

> I have used several of the small tubes, 30g or 60g, available on ebay. Price for the smallest was £2 odd and certainly no complaints. Make sure it is the neoprene Klebfest, they do a huge range of glues some of which may not work so well.

Thank you for the comprehensive advice Iain. I've ordered a tube. I had a bit of trouble discerning which were neoprene glues so hoping for the  best. Cheers. Martin

OP olddirtydoggy 06 Jun 2020

Done my repairs using Renia Klebfest and so far the results are very good. I repaired the flappy delaminated rubber in 3 sessions. I Cleaned the areas with a toothbrush and soapy water, rinsed well and allowed to dry. I packed the inside of the shoe with dense cloth to fill it out and applied the glue. Spring loaded clamps were used for 24 hours and the areas glued have held very well so far. I feel this stuff is not as strong as the original glue but for a repair on a pair of shoes that are nearly ready for the bin it was a good call.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...