UKC

REVIEW: Montane Trailblazer 3 Waist Pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 02 Jun 2020
The mesh padding is nice and airy for warmer days

Striking a useful balance of size, features and capacity, the Trailblazer 3 is a handy little waist pack that seems well suited to shorter hill runs, or lower level trail running where you may not need to carry quite so much, says Dan Bailey. It could also be handy for backpacking and hillwalking.

Read more
 PPP 02 Jun 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I’m primarily hydration vest guy. For a 3+ hour run, I take a phone, small first aid kit, jacket, 2x500ml soft bottles and some food. It does surprisingly add up - 5L vest is still plenty. 

However, a waist pack in warmer months and shorter runs is becoming more appealing. I have Inov8 Race Elite pack, but it bounces a fair bit if it’s not tight enough or digs into waist if it’s tight. The zip is also not very smooth and keeps snagging. 

Any chance anyone had both packs? I have Trailblazer 30 for overnighters and it’s been a joy. 

olddirtydoggy 02 Jun 2020

When did they stop calling these a bum bag?

TobyA 03 Jun 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> When did they stop calling these a bum bag?

Probably when they heard us all sniggering like school kids, then someone saying "fanny pack!" and everyone guffawing.  

It seems that bum bags, sorry - waist packs - are having a renaissance in mountain biking currently, I've got two - from the mid 90s and the late 90s! It's great to be old enough for your old stuff to be cool again!

galpinos 03 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I still use my Rock and Run Hipsac Superlite, bought from the shop on Division Street in Sheffield.

In reply to TobyA:

I was going to mention bum bags and fanny packs in the review and then thought it would show my age. And also my mental age. I think waist pack is one of those rare occasions where modern marketing speak is an improvement.

steveriley 03 Jun 2020

I use an OMM 3l which sounds the same size. Useful tip is to use a soft bottle inside with as which fluid as you can squeeze, depending what else you're carrying. No sloshing as it empties.

olddirtydoggy 03 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I'm sure I've still got my old bum bag tucked away in storage. It might be in my old Head bag, wrapped up in an old shell suit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...