UKC

Weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Yo all, nice that the weather has improved again so hopefully that will continue to lift the spirits.

And the subject of weather is the reason for the post.  I have three weather apps, Google Weather, BBC Weather and the Met Office app.  On a daily basis they are all completely at odd with one another.  Where do these apps get their data and why can three weather apps all be forecasting completely differently?

duchessofmalfi 15 Jun 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Did you somehow miss the torrential rain yesterday? and the revolting humidity today?

In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I must have although we are expecting the heavens to open tomorrow, according to one of the apps.  I'm hoping that one of the three apps is correct, the one forecasting thunder all day tomorrow. The other two are forecasting cloud and no rain and sunny spells.

mondite 15 Jun 2020

Weather forecasting, at least in the UK, is hard. So its easy for them to come up with very different results especially when you then have the design choice of what to emphasise eg that half hours window for thunderstorms or the fact it is going to be sunny the rest of the day.

Mark Edwards 15 Jun 2020

> Where do these apps get their data and why can three weather apps all be forecasting completely differently?

Different supercomputers running different models multiple times and then each one looking for some sort of agreement in the predicted data. Chaos maths in action.

Oceanrower 15 Jun 2020

It's very simple

All I do is look at four or five different sites and then just pick the forecast I like best...

olliee 15 Jun 2020

Try https://www.windy.com/

Allows comparison between 5 or 6 models.  Each model has a description about how useful they are in certain areas.  Comparison between the models can help you reach a most likely outcome.

Billhook 15 Jun 2020

I have the BBC weather app on both my computer and on my ipad.  Its not too unusual to find a slightly different forecast on each computer.

Lankyman 15 Jun 2020

These are pretty accurate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Personalised-Weather-Forecasting-Stone/dp...

Looks like they're in demand?

profitofdoom 15 Jun 2020

> ....I have three weather apps.... On a daily basis they are all completely at odd with one another....

Don't look at any forecasts - always just assume "The weather tomorrow will be the same as today"

Chances are that will beat the actual forecast

Hooo 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Reminds me of the Welsh weather forecasting trick:

If you can see the hills, it's going to rain. If you can't see the hills, it is raining.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...