UKC

Shipping from Hong Kong?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 26 Jun 2020

Anybody ever used TecoBuy or Device Monster?

I’m highly suspicious, and usually very aware of something being too good to be true. But they are remarkably cheap. 

To be avoided? Or worth it for the savings?

The Lemming 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Depends.

If you are getting a premium product for 90% reduction then buyer beware.

Otherwise if it's a grey market product which isn't meant for these shores then I'd take a punt.

And I have taken a punt with camera kit from Hong Kong for grey market stuff. Never been stiffed yet from China or Hong Kong.

OP Graeme G 26 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Lens for £280 vs £380 in UK. Although currently on sale for £340 on another UK website.

So not a huge saving but I’m always a sucker for a bargain.

Rigid Raider 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

I've done it a couple of times. One was a cycling jersey that seemed to be coming from a US web seller but when I pressed pay it emerged that it was China. The jersey was as fake as Donald's hairpiece and I even got bollocked by Ebay when I tried to resell it on there.

The other was something electrical, which took about a month to arrive.

Dark-Cloud 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

A while back i bought some Oly lenses from Amazon.com rather than .co.uk, came within 3 days and saved myself well over £150 even after adding all the shipping and customs, which handily is calculated at checkout.

Ian W 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

> Lens for £280 vs £380 in UK. Although currently on sale for £340 on another UK website.

> So not a huge saving but I’m always a sucker for a bargain.

The rate of duty on lenses is 6.7%, which is part of the saving, but technically you are liable for paying this, and VAT on your import. so on your £280 lens, you could possibly end up paying £358 (£280 plus 6.7% plus 20% vat).

And i'd like to see you make a warranty claim........

The £340 UK option looks like a bargain.......

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/lenses-from-japan.1256...

Note the bit about HMRC entering your home without a warrant.........chances are they wont catch you, but as they say, smuggler beware......

Post edited at 14:14
OP Graeme G 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Ian W:

Thanks, that was my thinking. I’ve bought stuff from Hong Kong before but then I was in Hong Kong at the time so that’s a bit different.

In reply to Graeme G:

They both only get 2 stars on Trust Pilot and lots of pretty bad reviews and some good ones. I would be tempted to stay away. 

In reply to Graeme G:

Have a look at e-infinity  if you are buying lenses. 5 stars on Trust pilot. I have bought a few things from them now and been a good service.  I always use the UK site but the stuff I ordered all is imported. I just bought a Canon 100-400 lens and it was cheaper than lots of second hand ones on the Web

Mike_d78 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith:

+1 for e-infinity. I've used them many times and they have always been good to deal with. Cheap to!

Post edited at 13:01
OP Graeme G 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith:

Forgot to check Trustpilot. Ta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...