UKC

Best collapsible lightweight walking poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jo gard 13 Jul 2020

What's the best lightweight, collapsible walking poles for someone with arthritis in knees. Btw I'm still able to walk most mountains. Did Y Garn saturday, thanks in advance jo 

r0b 13 Jul 2020
In reply to jo gard:

Black Diamond Distance Z

kaiser 13 Jul 2020
In reply to jo gard:

I've got some Camp Sky Carbon Evo which are very light and pack up tiny.  

Not sure they make them anymore though

Post edited at 20:58
 petegunn 13 Jul 2020
In reply to jo gard:

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/walking-poles/YB121-5.html

I used a pair of these for my BG round, super poles. you have to get the right size though as there is no adjustment on them.

Post edited at 21:18
 Run_Ross_Run 13 Jul 2020
In reply to jo gard:

I have mountain king trail blazers. Fixed length so no adjustment (available in various sizes). Really light and very small pack size.

Given them quite a bit of abuse over the years mainly mountain running or fast packing and they're good as new. 

petegunn 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

And made in the UK, superb little poles

kedvenc72 14 Jul 2020
In reply to jo gard:

I've been using the leki micro trail for trail running. I can only do short distances now due to artheritis in my hips. The shark grip/glove thing really works well (I'm surprised how good it is everytime I go out) but not so sure I'd want to wear it for long walks.

Basemetal 14 Jul 2020
In reply to jo gard:

If your need is primarily joint care, I'd prioritise design over weight.  And I'd really recommend giving Pacer Poles a try. They do a 6 week full refund trial period -but I don't think they get many returns. They're not the lightest poles, though they do a full carbon option.  The weight only matters when you're NOT using them as the ergonomics in use knock other poles out of the park. I've been using an aluminium twistlock pair (the most basic in some senses) for 5 or 6 years now, summer and winter and I'm heavy on poles. Full spares are available too.

The biggest plus, if you're inclined to arthritis, is the prevention or relief of wrist strains from the 'cocked wrist' of normal poles. Knee and hip relief comes with any poles, but sore shoulders and wrists can be a side effect. The PP's ergonomic hand rest needs practically no grip strength for security, and being designed to be used without load-bearing loops avoids circulation problems or the downhill trip hazard. (a security loop is present if you so choose). The 45 degree angle is bliss on ascent and descent -like holding a handrail.

The folk I know who've bought them are all quite evangelical about them, but you don't read so much about them as they're not a 'big business' advertiser, just a tiny Lake District business with integrity. 

Have a read through their informative website at https://shop.pacerpole.com/shop/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...