UKC

ARTICLE: A Return to Innocence - Climbing under Lockdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 14 Jul 2020
Cruising Crew's Arête, Frodsham.

Jamie Holding shares a reflective piece on loss, lockdown and a return to his roots, with some musical memories along the way...

My mum moved out of Stone House care home, Chester, early in March, for the final time. I returned to say a last goodbye, pen her eulogy, and rehearse my delivery; to speak of her with the same sense of love and humour we had always shared.

Read more
 TobyA 14 Jul 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Beautiful Jamie, and you have my sympathies for the loss of your Mum. Did you really take over classes she had taught before you!? That must have been a weird experience for the kids!

steveriley 14 Jul 2020

What a lovely piece. I've looked up at a couple of people on Flake Crack in recent weeks, wonder if you were one of them? I didn't know Derek Walker but his funeral was at the church at the end of my road. I bumped into it by chance out for a run on the hill, amused at the time to see the sombre suits mixed in with the odd gaffer taped duvet. And thanks for the litter picks, for some reason Helsby has become a honeypot for the careless. I was up there last night and it wasn't looking too bad, thanks to the selfless and unsung. Can I recommend a potter along Long Wall for some fine bouldering if you've not already?

emily roo 14 Jul 2020

Nicely written! A good read about some of my favourite spots. Being trapped in Chester has reminded me of some good esoterica. But thankfully the sandstone is quieter again now, I'm only sharing the ledges with wildlife and not other guilty locals...

Depaulo 15 Jul 2020

Lovely stuff. I too grew up climbing at Helsby and this takes me right back.

I love the youtube soundtrack to the article. What a great idea and works really well!

JamieH 16 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA, Steve, Emily and Depaulo,

Thank you for your kind comments. It’s good to know that there are other sandstone scholars out there. The formative process should resonate with many, even if the contemporary experience is more likely to be indoors, bouldering, on plastic. Longevity gives the perspective of hindsight and perhaps some clarity. 

Yes Toby, I really did walk into a maths class expecting Mrs Holding. They were momentarily non-plussed! Kind of like a Doctor Who regeneration, and doubtless many preferred the original. 

Steve, I will investigate Helsby’s Long Buttress, before I head off. I really should grapple with Harmers Wood too, though it’s high ball enough to warrant a rope for me. Mark Hounslow and team’s Cheshire Sandstone guidebook is wonderful, evocative and inspiring. His Anvil Integrale is a complete treat - crux where it should be, at the top! 

See you out there,

Jamie 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...