UKC

Top 10 grade 2 scrambles in north Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Lets do a top 10 grade 2 scramble in north Wales just interested to see what u think is

PaulJepson 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

Flip it on its head: top 2 grade 10 scrambles? GO!

In reply to PaulJepson:

The north face eiger 

Prof. Outdoors 15 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

The scrambles for flour and toilet paper?

ianstevens 15 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Top 10 posts about grade 2 scrambles?

bouldery bits 15 Jul 2020

Great Glass Elevator

cwarby 15 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Indian Face

Liquid Ambar

You could probably do the former in the rain if you wore a parka as well.

Alkis 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

😆

Michael Hood 15 Jul 2020

This is a climbing forum. For grade 1 and 2 scrambles please go to the UKH sister website. Come back to UKC for grade 3 scrambles.

In reply to Michael Hood:

Scrambling is climbing 

Dark-Cloud 16 Jul 2020

Were you hoping we were going to say Tryfan and main gully ?

Dark-Cloud 16 Jul 2020

Grade 1 scambling is a steep walk.

duchessofmalfi 16 Jul 2020

Hilarious that this series is I still don't think you've topped this:

Q: "...Peak. where ... good for toproping with 7 year old?"

A: "Tryfan"

So I'm afraid it's a "must try harder" for this thread.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

No

C Witter 16 Jul 2020

I'm not sure about a top 10; are the even 10 worthwhile grade 2 scrambles in North Wales? But, Idwal Buttress and Continuation is very pleasant - the only one that sticks in my mind.

Sorry everyone else is so grumpy. But, you might have better luck on UKH.

Take care!

RuthW 16 Jul 2020

My favorite grade 2 scramble is Bryant's gully - is great fun and really long so I think a good outing.   Is also only 10 mins from the road and not very busy.  Best done on a dry day.  Is probably a fairly high grade 2.

Sul 16 Jul 2020

> Scrambling is climbing 

oh no its not!

Removed User 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Grade 1 scambling is a steep walk.

And bouldering is just climbing a big stone.

Popcorn time?

profitofdoom 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

Grade 2 scramble = melt butter in a saucepan, whisk in 3 eggs, add a little milk plus black pepper and salt, cook for 3 minutes

Dark-Cloud 16 Jul 2020

If you want to describe it like that I’m happy with that description, it’s pretty accurate as bouldering involves climbing big boulders or a big stones as you them 

webbo 16 Jul 2020

I think Aonach has flounced off.

profitofdoom 16 Jul 2020
In reply to webbo:

> I think Aonach has flounced off.

Right

It's really too bad

I put it to you that it was my "scrambled egg" post that did it

100 points to me if so, eh what 

Fishmate 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Thread:

Is it time to consider our pal Aonach is either a pre-pubescent child or a top class troll?

In reply to Sul:

Oh yes it is 

In reply to Fishmate:

I'm going for child. Where are the mods? Since some people have recently elected to begin paying to support this site this sort of sh*te really makes you question if you're getting your money's worth... 

GerM 16 Jul 2020

> Oh yes it is 

It's behind you!

birdie num num 17 Jul 2020

There’s a good thrilling grade 2 scramble up a route called Suicide Wall. 

In reply to birdie num num:

Oh yes seniors ridge direct ?

birdie num num 17 Jul 2020

You should put your wellies on and try Bryant’s Gully

C Witter 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Fishmate:

> Is it time to consider our pal Aonach is either a pre-pubescent child or a top class troll?

You never know the story of people you "meet" on the internet, so best to be kind and give them the benefit of the doubt so long as they're being pleasant - which AEITB is being.

Since when did asking people to rank easy climbs (aka scrambles) become a crime? I thought wasting time giving our opinion on these things was was basically the point of the UKC forums...

Fishmate 17 Jul 2020
In reply to C Witter:

You never know the story of anyone you meet, at any point in your life. It doesn't mean you have to persistently bend over backwards to accomodate all of those people. If it pleases you to do so, then you should be satisfied with your choice and subsequent actions.

I choose to practice what you preach in real life and most of the time online. This however feels like a suitable exception.

St. Peter won't be waiting for you at the end of all this!

C Witter 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Fishmate:

I know, I agree with you. But, sometimes people act a bit differently for a reason!

Billhook 17 Jul 2020

> Oh yes it is 

Oh no its not.!

Have you done much climbing? 

Removed User 17 Jul 2020
In reply to webbo:

All I can say is that there is a load of patronising  b"stards on this site. Aonach Eagach is probably at the start of a climbing career which will grow from small beginnings but all you can do is rubbish him - shame on you and your ilk. No wonder most of the 'lesser mortals' on this site dont engage . You would think with the attitude on here that everybody climbs at E4 and above or 7a sport etc.- profiles and logbooks show differently - most people are average by definition and that average seems to be around HS trad and 6a sport. If you have discouraged Aonach  Eagach I hope you are proud of yourself.

Fishmate 17 Jul 2020

Isn't anything below E4 and 7a scrambling ))))))))))))))))))))))))

webbo 17 Jul 2020

I’m sorry you are such a grumpy old bas*ard. I too am a grumpy old bas*ard but not quite as old or grumpy.

Post edited at 21:29

Thank you all I’m trying to do is find routes and like advice on routes that look interesting and stuff like that because I can’t find any info on them and stuff 

I climb vdiff on a good day, and I doubt there’s a sport climb in the country I could even get off the ground on. I still find something unconvincing about AEITB, with his claims he can’t find any information about scrambles when he’s clearly aware of where Suicide wall is, and is on a website with a searchable route database. He’s also been directed to relevant guidebooks, which are hardly expensive given the cost of fuel to get to the scrambles, and would be an excellent starting point. 

Donotello 17 Jul 2020

At first I was thinking pre pubescent child, especially that first one that was 900 lines long without a comma, but he’s persistent I’m wondering wether this isn’t some sort of Gorilla Marketing campaign.

climber34neil 18 Jul 2020
In reply to cwarby:

And a cravat and smoking jacket Cynthia!

Removed User 18 Jul 2020

Idwal staircase and continuation Grade 2 -up the stream in the corner on the slabs,prepare to get wet but all bucket holds and only grade 1 above or harder if you like .

Y Garn East Ridge Grade 2 -exposed at the top but fairly staightforward.

Craig Lloer spur Grade 2/3-sandbag this one should be V.Diff . Couple of tasty moves including one of those bulging irreversible mantleshelfs above a big drop one of the few scrambles I have roped up for. Anyone who thinks scrambling isnt climbing should have a go at this one including the jamming crack at the start(avoidable on the left).

Most of the others I've done in Snowdonia have been 1s and 3s. The 3s tend to be harder and more serious than the lake district scrambles.  There doesn't seem to be 10 pure Grade 2 scrambles in Snowdonia you'd be better off upgrading but you need competence and a good head. I've saved scrambling for my declining years and you get into some incredible places with no one else around, years of rock climbing have  helped to assess difficulties.

cwarby 18 Jul 2020
In reply to climber34neil:

If only I had one....Must meet up; looking forward to trying that grade 2 at Rubicon.

Post edited at 20:47
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Because I have a guide book the Steve Ashton one and there is mostly grade 3s

Tapia llwydion on cader Idris is a decent grade 2 scramble which I don't think appears in any guidebook. It peters out halfway up the face but you can seek out more rock steps if you head right.

The south ridge of rhinog fawr (not very ridgelike at all, more like a series of steps) can be done at grade 2 if you're canny about route finding.

birdie num num 18 Jul 2020

Following Jess13’s post, I’m feeling marginally guilty ish ish. 
ish.

Bryants Gully. It’s a good steer. I don’t feel guilty about that.

> I climb vdiff on a good day, and I doubt there’s a sport climb in the country I could even get off the ground on. I still find something unconvincing about AEITB, with his claims he can’t find any information about scrambles when he’s clearly aware of where Suicide wall is, and is on a website with a searchable route database. He’s also been directed to relevant guidebooks, which are hardly expensive given the cost of fuel to get to the scrambles, and would be an excellent starting point. 

Yes, all very odd: how someone who's apparently already done quite a few scrambles and knows quite a lot is still so baffled by it, and seems to eschew the use of any of the excellent scrambling guidebooks.

Post edited at 23:08

>  Because I have a guide book the Steve Ashton one and there is mostly grade 3s

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=835

It’s not, though

though it’s true there’s nothing as good on it at grade 2 as the Aonach Eagach. 

From the list, Dolmen ridge is a good day out, and is mostly grade 2, except for a pitch of moderate climbing. That section is well protected and a short part of the route, but it’s exposed and I was glad of the rope. 

My suggestion: get hold of a rope, harness, and a small rack, and have a practice on little tryfan until you are confident building a belay and placing runners, then routes like this and the clogwyn y person arête come into play for you, and they’re better than anything at grade 2 outside Scotland. 

Post edited at 01:06
 Prof. Outdoors 19 Jul 2020

If Aonach obtained climbing gear, wouldn't that mean he would need to climb with someone? That could possibly be revealing. (Unless Aonach asked the question as to how to scramble alone using the climbing gear!)

He could be of Norse origin as hinted in some of his posts. He describes Suicide Wall as Seniors Ridge Direct. The unknown scramble of Wild Blough Clough in the Peak thread. Does he mean Wild Bluff Clough?

He could be:

1/ Genuine person who is really keen

2/ Troll who is pissisting people off.

3/ UKC mystery shopper set up to test the responses of its user group.

So many options to so many questions.

Post edited at 09:09
Removed User 19 Jul 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

You may feel guilty if he gets just over 1/2 way up and it rains. Then he will know the difference between wet & dry rock with a bit of wet slime thrown in for luck!!! 

Mike Peacock 19 Jul 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Tapia Llwydion is in Scrambles and Easy Climbs in Snowdonia. From memory they give it a V Diff for the slabs, then g3 for the upper part. The route I took when I did it years ago was a solid (and nice) g2.

Mike Peacock 19 Jul 2020

>  There doesn't seem to be 10 pure Grade 2 scrambles in Snowdonia you'd be better off upgrading but you need competence and a good head.

My gut reaction was to think this couldn't be true, but off the top of my head the 'pure' g2 routes I can think of (and that I've done) are these nine below. There are other g1 routes with single harder moves (Main Gully), but I'm not sure they count. There are also other 'new' routes in the updated Ashton book that get given g2 (Y Gully, Notch Arete) but I'm not sure how true these are to the grade.

Direct Approach to Seniors Ridge
Idwal Staircase
NW Face Route (Glyder Fawr)
East Ridge of Y Garn
N Buttress Variant (Tryfan)
Bastow Buttress Variant (Tryfan) (g2/3, but easily done as g2)
Craig yr Ysfa Amphitheatre
Llechog Ridge
The Mushroom Garden

In reply to Mike Peacock:

No way are the slabs vdiff! Even if you seek out the hardest possible line.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...