UKC

Totem cam sling damage - still usable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello,

So on my beloved black totem, the "outer" sling is damaged.  I believe that I can send the cam to Spain to get it reslung by Totem, but does anyone have a UK recommendation?

I also wonder if I can continue to use the cam by clipping the inner sling loop.  I guess the redundancy of the complete loop is compromised to an extent, but the inner loop is still rated?  The danger would be if a wire blew, I guess the whole "system" would open.  But the cam is less than a year old and in great nic.

Or short term, could I cut the sling off and use some cord?  It would be great to have a solution that could delay me sending the cam off until the winter as I deem it a pretty essential part of my rack.

I am using these for free climbing not aid.

Cheers!

Rick Graham 21 Jul 2020
In reply to napoleon_dynamite:

Read the instruction sheet?

Clipping the top or bottom loop is OK for trad protection use. Clipping both and  some other bits of the cam are a no no.

In reply to Rick Graham:

I believe that clipping both is a no no because it removes any redundancy should the wires in one of the cam lives blow.  The carabineer would be outside of the loop.

So in my scenario, the redundancy is compromised by the damaged outer sling.  But how big a deal is this really?

Rick Graham 21 Jul 2020

I would use it. Your choice.

Andypeak 22 Jul 2020

A crucial piece of safety equipment is damaged and needs repairing, I regularly rely on this to save my life, does it need fixing or will it be ok?

Get it fixed! Even if it was ok would you really be confident at climbing your best above a piece of gear that may or may not be safe. 

In reply to Andypeak:

You're right.  What a bloody stupid question I asked.  The best solution is obviously to buy another cam whilst this one is being repaired and then upon its return enjoy the use of two of my favourite cams 🤣

steveb2006 22 Jul 2020

From pictures of the cam it seems to me perfectly ok to just clip the inner sling.  I assume the only purpose of the outer sling is just to extend it a bit.  Unless also damaged the inner sling is hardly likely to fail - looks suitable chunky.

Having said the above it looks possible, when clipping the inner sling - the outer sling could get in the way of the crab gate - so if outer damaged I would remove it completely

edit - see what you mean about one of the wires blowing - unlikeley - but maybe make a new loop out of 5mm cord possibly.

Post edited at 10:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...