UKC

I ve just done my last ever wild camp ( sad face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 23 Jul 2020

myself and the kids pitched  our tents by a beautiful tarn. . Had a bit of a swim , cooked our couscous , had a bit of walk up a hill  and I toasted it all with a can of a very fine hawksead session IPA  ( brewed locally of course) . I didn't take my phone or a camera . I won't be posting pictures on face ache or istashite . And as of today when we do this again  and we will next time it stops raining , we will have been " camping " .

This has been Prompted by the recent thread on here . when we swim in a lake we call it swimming , when we ride our bikes up dirt tracks we call it a bike ride , when we clambour about on large lumps of rocks whilst out for a walk we call it arseing about , etc etc.

So it's only right . 

wintertree 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

Inspired by recent threads I think the time has come for Indoor Camping.

Bacon Butty 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

Wild boozing, like it.

tcashmore 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

Slightly ironic that you don’t want to post on other forms of social media for some reason but feel compelled to write about it on UKC - not that its a problem!

cheers

OP mike123 23 Jul 2020
In reply to tcashmore: but this is  ukc . So I'm allowed . It says so in my rule book , on page 34 , exceptions to rule 15 , no posting on social media .

In reply to mike123:

You have ruined my business plan. I was going to sell you all special costumes for wild skinny dipping. 

Tom Valentine 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

My plan is to produce moss scented bog roll for the wild shitters.

ianstevens 23 Jul 2020
In reply to tcashmore:

Wild social media posting

galpinos 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

I had a "wild camping" video pop up in my Youtube feed and intrigue got the better of me so I had a watch. Three days, two nights, in the Peak, camp sites next to popular walking paths one was within a ten minute walk from the road. There was also making a fire in a location close to a recent moor fire (started by a BBQ) for good measure.

All the comments below seemed amazed he'd got so far "out into the wild" etc despite in one shot I could see the pub. Was a genuine as a Bear Grylls show.

Social media has a lot to answer for.  

girlymonkey 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

The thing is though, the term "wild camping" has a use in differentiating from campsite camping. I would just say camping most of the time, but if discussing camping options or types of tents etc, I do specify. I also have car camping in my vocab. We have mountain tents and a car camping tent. For us, car camping is the less common one so probably the one I am most likely to specify. Mostly I would refer to "wild camping" as just camping if I am talking with outdoorsy friends and would specify car camping, but if talking to people who don't do what we do I might be more likely to specify wild camping.

Offwidth 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Bacon Butty:

Wild boozing is a longstanding problem at quite a few crags. I've removed tons of discarded empty bottles and cans from crags over the years.

Robert Durran 23 Jul 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> The thing is though, the term "wild camping" has a use in differentiating from campsite camping.

Yes, I grew up using "wild camping" to mean free roadside car camping as opposed to campsite camping. Since "wild camping" has more recently come to mean what I always just called camping (or perhaps backpacking), there is a perception among some that the term has been hijacked to mean roadside camping, and so has given the backpacking kind of camping a bad name. I actually think it may be the other way round. I really, really hate the modern trendy backpacking usage and so now avoid the term altogether.

In reply to galpinos:

'mild camping' 

jonny taylor 23 Jul 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> The thing is though, the term "wild camping" has a use in differentiating from campsite camping.

I reckon that's what the term "feral camping" is for...

nikoid 23 Jul 2020
In reply to tcashmore:

> Slightly ironic that you don’t want to post on other forms of social media for some reason but feel compelled to write about it on UKC - not that its a problem!

> cheers

It's fine because UKC is social media for the intelligencia innit?😁

OP mike123 23 Jul 2020
In reply to nikoid:

> It's fine because UKC is social media for the intelligencia innit?😁

I like to think so 

In reply to mike123:

Hi mike123. This rant wasn't inspired by my 'in a field' thread was it? At no point did I claim to be wild camping. I was in a campsite. The wildest thing that happened was a neighbouring terrior started barking 4.30AM. I made a brew and cleared off. A quick trot up Roaches End and back in Leek for a full English Oatcake before 9. I hope this is OK by you?

Doug 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Backpacking used to me a long walk, camping along the way. Somehow it now seems to mean just travelling (often by plane or train) & staying in cheap hostels. Why ?

(yes I know, I'm getting old)

Cobra_Head 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

Livid Camping?

Trangia 23 Jul 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> Inspired by recent threads I think the time has come for Indoor Camping.

Won't that be known as Tame Camping?

HansStuttgart 23 Jul 2020
In reply to nikoid:

> It's fine because UKC is social media for the intelligencia innit?😁

Sorry to disappoint you, but "Hi, hello, I am here!".

Baron Weasel 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

I took my 6 year old son canoe camping for the first time a couple of weeks ago. 

Would you like me to drop the prefix?

It would make you happy wouldn't it? 

Baron Weasel 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123: I toasted it all with a can of a very fine hawksead session IPA  ( brewed locally of course) . 

Hawkshead is now owned by Halewood and laid off most of the original team during lockdown including the headbrewer. Many other staff walked out in protest. 

They've gone from being a cutting edge innovative brewery run with passion to a corporation that has two factory breweries in the lakes. 

Post edited at 22:38
 haworthjim 23 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

One can of beer and some couscous.... don't sound very wild to me.:0))

haworthjim 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Oh that's shit news!. Brother in law lives in Staveley- so I guess we'll be giving the brewery a miss from now on.

Baron Weasel 23 Jul 2020
In reply to haworthjim:

Watermill and Handsome would be where I would spend my money if I didn't live here and homebrew. 

GerM 24 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

What if you are caught short in the great outdoors? What would you call that?

SFM 24 Jul 2020
In reply to GerM:

Free range logging?

girlymonkey 24 Jul 2020
In reply to GerM:

I'm always short, so I guess I'd just call it "caught"!

65 24 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

I'll see your 'Wild' and raise you 'Off-grid.'

fmck 28 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

I always thought wild camping was when you were too drunk to make it back to the tent?

Scarlett Madison 28 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

Nice post.

Scarlett Madison 28 Jul 2020
In reply to mike123:

Good discussion going on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...