UKC

Map cases

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 30 Jul 2020

What do you carry your map in while walking. Have just purchased some nice new Harvey's map and was wondering what other people use to carry them in while using them for navigation. I know they are waterproof, but would still like to keep them as pristine as possible. 

99ster 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Russell Lovett:

Aquapac - I actually got one of these to replace an Ortlieb (which surprisingly started to come apart at the seems).  It's taken a lot of punishment and is still going strong.

https://aquapac.net/shop/waterproof-maps-binoculars/kaituna-map-case-808/

Martin W 30 Jul 2020

For regular reference during an outing I either print off or photocopy the relevant portion of the online or paper map, and carry that in an Ortlieb A5 size waterproof document case.  This can be rolled up and tucked in a trouser or jacket pocket ready to hand for quick reference.

I do also carry the full paper map, but that'll be inside my dry bag rucksack liner and I only carry it as a backup for the pocketable map, or in the unlikely event that we manage to go really badly off course.  I've never actually had to resort to that yet (touch wood).

Pedro50 30 Jul 2020

I'm happy to carry Harvey maps unprotected. They last years.

Lankyman 30 Jul 2020

I've used Ortlieb cases for years. They do tear at flex points eventually, usually near the velcro strips. They also seem to darken a little over time. Maybe UV does this.

NathanP 30 Jul 2020

For frequently visited places and winter climbing, A4 prints laminated and even tied to my jacket on a lanyard. Harvey’s normally unprotected. 

For paper OS maps, I always use an Ortlieb case, with no problems apart from the darkening mentioned by another poster. I’ve never used an Aquapac map case but have used their phone cases and found them excellent, even for prolonged submersion. 

MG 30 Jul 2020

The bags 5kg of sultanas come in, since you ask.

Post edited at 22:37
 Jenny C 31 Jul 2020

For areas I visit regularly I'm a great fan of the laminated OS maps. which don't need a case. 

Double sided A3 printout, z-folded to A6, and put in a sturdy ziplock bag (originally pour'n'store, but I found some more suitable). Still looking for a supply of perfect, ungussetted, PP ziplock bags.

Kryank 31 Jul 2020

+1 for the Aquapac 

munro90 01 Aug 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

You should try a Harvey map in that case, put the laminated OS maps to shame. They're printed on to plastic so are inherently waterproof and hardwearing (despite OP's desire for a case) but retain the lightness and flexibility of a traditional paper map. The 1:40,000 scale is close to perfect in my opinion (aided with 1:10,000 blow-ups of tricky summits on the reverse of many of their maps). You can get 200+ Munros on about 10 maps if I remember correctly. 

My friends accuse me of being on commission for Harvey, but they've mostly seen the light from my evangelism.

JohnnyW 01 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Yep, Ortleib for me. My current one must be 10 or so years old, used and abused. It has darkened as others say, but it's bullet proof imo

Jenny C 01 Aug 2020
In reply to munro90:

Not a fan of Harvey's maps. Grew up with the 1:25000 Ordnance Survey Outdoor Leisure maps and find them much easier to read and navigate by.  (I'm sure it's mostly familiarity, but....) 

Post edited at 18:33
 BnB 01 Aug 2020

Put the paper map in your rucksack and use OS maps on ViewRanger or similar app. You can zoom to any scale to help your deteriorating eyesight or peer beyond the boundaries of any paper map. A cursor will pinpoint your location to within 3 metres at all times and no, the battery never goes flat. Airplane mode gives four days of life without charge. That’ll keep your map pristine not least ‘cos you’ll never use it.

colinakmc 01 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

So, there’s no rhyme nor raisin to your navigation then?

nniff 01 Aug 2020

Waterproof map - in hand when in use or shoved down a gaiter when not.  Non-waterproof map - in case made out of thick clear polythene (the sort of stuff that carpets are wrapped in) and gaffer tape - carried as above. If it's lashing down - shoved down the front of a waterproof jacket as gaiters underneath over-trousers.

Gave up years ago on map cases that were perennially the wrong size or shape

Lankyman 02 Aug 2020
In reply to JohnnyW:

> but it's bullet proof imo

You didn't wander onto Salisbury Plain by mistake did you?

kevin stephens 02 Aug 2020

Ordnance Survey on line subscription is brilliant value.  I print off an A4 section at the scale I need and laminate it.  I use these for sea kayaking stowed under deck lines but would also be good for hill walking/mountaineering.  Easy to write on the laminate with permanent markers if needed 

JohnnyW 02 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> You didn't wander onto Salisbury Plain by mistake did you?

Very good

ablackett 02 Aug 2020

> but would still like to keep them as pristine as possible. 

Maps aren't supposed to be pristine, they are supposed to be used!  Hold it in your hand, fold it so you can see the bit you are interested in, get it out on a summit so you can see what you are looking at, shove it in your jacket in a storm, let it blow away in a whiteout, use it and enjoy it, don't keep it pristine.

bouldery bits 02 Aug 2020

I hate map cases. With a passion. Stupid, bulky things that require you to fold your map unnaturally, are awkward to carry (I love seeing a D of E group all slowly being strangled by rotating map strings around their necks) and make the map harder to read before eventually leaking.

The waterproof map is a contender my favourite outdoor kit innovation in my life time.

If you must get one, Ortlieb.

Jenny C 02 Aug 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Totally agree, especially about the strangulation hazard of map cases. Like you I hate the things, although I prefer a cheap as chips one and treat it as a glorified plastic bag. 

My lam fold maps of The Peak and Lakes are 20+ yrs old and tatty but fully serviceable. Quite like pulling out a yellow map when everyone else has one in orange, although I admit it would be handy to know what areas are CROW land. 

Lankyman 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

I have quite a few pre-CRoW maps. I use them a lot even if I have more updated ones. I can use them as an excuse when I'm challenged for being on non access land.

Andy Johnson 03 Aug 2020

OS map with the cover carefully removed in an Ortlieb map case. I tend to hold a map while I walk (rather than keeping it in a pocket or whatever) so even if its not raining the case stops my sweaty paws from unnecessarily damaging the map.

I've tried laminated and waterproof maps but I find them hard to handle. Printing my own is a faff as well as limiting if I want/need to change my route.

> but would still like to keep them as pristine as possible. 

Maps get out of date, and I personally think its best to treat them as something to be replaced every few years. For this reason I I don't worry too much about keeping them in good condition, and I prefer conventional paper maps that are cheaper and can be easily recycled.

Post edited at 17:03

> I love seeing a D of E group all slowly being strangled by rotating map strings around their necks

Not my groups; I issue them with one of the aforementioned A3-A6 z-folded maps in a sturdy ziplock. 

bouldery bits 03 Aug 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > I love seeing a D of E group all slowly being strangled by rotating map strings around their necks

> Not my groups; I issue them with one of the aforementioned A3-A6 z-folded maps in a sturdy ziplock. 

Good man!

My Exmoor Challenge lot get waterproof maps - with Gaffer tape to keep them on the right sheet.

colinakmc 03 Aug 2020

> I hate map cases. With a passion. Stupid, bulky things.....

I got a half sized case in the store at Glenmore lodge years ago, can’t remember the brand. It’s jus a nice size for a Landranger or Explorer without its cover, it doesn’t have a bulky awkward fastening, and it fits in your pocket. And it doesn’t leak.

Sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...