UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Mason Earle's Offwidth Battle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Jul 2020
Mason Earle in Joshua Tree

This week's Friday Night Video takes us on a tour of Joshua Tree with Mason Earle, where he attempts the first ascent of a gruelling and savage offwidth called Hondo. Mason was shown around by local Cole Gibson, who became dismayed at the ease of which he was able to climb the area's projects.

Mason explained that 'there's a long history of wide crack sandbagging that we have to adhere to.' Thankfully, for our viewing pleasure, not everything goes Mason's way...

Read more
 Rick Graham 01 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant.

A few thoughts.

Really good dry wit commentary.

My hernias really twinged watching that.

Wonder how a wide boy would fair.

Good to see the locals still finding gems in the desert.

Despite climbing footwear and techniques developing leaps and bounds, two knees is often the best solution.

Gone for good 01 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Loved it.  Grovelling upwards on my knees is a concept I am familiar with!! 

nikoid 01 Aug 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

I don't know why he was using tape on his trousers, I reckon he'd have been better off with bicycle clips.

myrddinmuse 03 Aug 2020
In reply to nikoid:

Doing knee locks and inverted moves quite commonly puts a lot of strain on trouser legs to ride up and twist around in a non-deal fashion! Tape works pretty well, I don't know how bicycle clips would hold up under such intense wriggling, might be interesting to try.

tehmarks 03 Aug 2020
In reply to nikoid:

Do you often take bicycle clips to the crag to cover against unexpected trouser problems? Surely he's just using what he had to hand at the time?

Dave Garnett 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Brilliant.

> A few thoughts.

> Really good dry wit commentary.

I was expecting to see him having an argument with Steve.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...