UKC

ARTICLE: From Little Things Big Things Grow - The Story of Theo Blass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 05 Aug 2020
Theo's hardest route was at his local crag - St Guilhem le Desert

Dave Barnes takes a look at one of climbing's most promising talents, Theo Blass. He finds out first hand from family and friends what drives the ten-year-old, who recently became the youngest person to climb 8c.

Theo walks along a familiar path to his local limestone crag near Montpellier in the South of France. For a thousand years, this part of France has basked in the sun and has witnessed the trade winds bring people and produce from faraway places and plant both here. Students fill the city and families work the earth out in the villages amongst the limestone hills that interrupt the plough and the lines of grapes. Amongst these, a climbing prince is making his way up a steep path to the king lines at the crag. Theo Blass is ten years of age, a lover of science, a mad mountain biker, a whizz on the ski slopes and a climber on the rise at his local crag where he recently climbed an 8c. He may be 4'5" and a featherweight, but he pulls big numbers on his way to the chains.

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

Holy cow, this kid is THAT Theo! Vlad lived in London for a short time in the mid 2000s and climbed a little with us, and I visited him in Montpellier a time or two after he left. I remember taking turns to watch Theo at the crag as a baby, and meeting him again as a toddler, waiting patiently for his turn at whatever that crag is with 'Mort Aux Cons' on the noticeboard at the bottom (begins with C). I never recognised the name before as I'd forgotten Aurelia's surname. Well, not terribly surprising he became a good climber, I guess, and Alizee certainly has the right name and genes to follow suit.

jcm

ClimbingStef 06 Aug 2020

Great article! It kept the kid-at-heart perspective, making it a fresh reading experience - not the typical article about a strong climber.

Climbnowra 07 Aug 2020

This is a beautifully written article by Dave Barnes for climbers young and old ... and as importantly for families who have identified a gifted child in their midst. Clearly Theo Blass has something to say to the generations of emerging young climbers set to be inspired to emulate his personal journey and already record breaking achievements. Enjoy

AJM 07 Aug 2020
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Claret...

Mourad 07 Aug 2020

Nice climbing performance from this young boy, he has a brilliant climbing career ahead.

Removed User 08 Aug 2020

Well written and researched article about this little guy Dave Barnes. Really enjoyed his story. Well done!!

Lachymcd 11 Aug 2020

A good read! Really cool to see what some kids are doing these days, definitely wish i'd been more adventurous (and my parents more willing to let me be adventurous) when younger

Ramon Marin 24 Aug 2020
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

yes THAT Theo! I remember swinging his hammock to get him to sleep when he was about a year old in Ventanas sector whilst Vlad was working Aromas belayed by Aurelie.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...