UKC

32 Munros in 24hrs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Grahame N 14 Aug 2020

I heard a rumour that a new record has been set for the number of Munros run within 24 hours - 32 around the Cairngorm and Glen Shee hills. Anyone know if this is correct?

Nic Barber 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Grahame N:

yes, Sasha Chepelin of Carnethy/EUOC/EUHH, on the first weekend of the month.

There's a fairly conclusive write-up here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=98872

I would have posted earlier but didn't have many details.

A fantastic performance from a couple of young lads and a young support crew. Given Sasha won Carnethy 5 over 50mins of racing in Feb, it just goes to show that a good runner is a good runner. The lad's got ball the size of space hopper to have a go at this as his first proper 24h jobbie though!

Post edited at 10:32
OP Grahame N 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Nic Barber:

Wow, fantastic effort. I've come across the Chepelin family at orienteering events. 153km (95miles) on the flat would be impressive enough but over 32 Munros is awesome.

Kalna_kaza 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Nic Barber:

I wonder if this will become a popular thing, relatively speaking, for other attempts. I would have thought a May or June attempt with longer daylight hours could help squeeze the time down further? 

OP Grahame N 15 Aug 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Its not about squeezing the time down - its a 24 hour challenge to see how many Munros you can bag within this time limit. Adding Braeriach would be the obvious next step to increase the tally to 33. But you're quite right, an attempt in June might allow more ground to be covered.

Nic Barber 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Grahame N:

Normal ways to break 24h records are add another peak, or complete the same route in a quicker time.

Sasha states that the Braeriach leg is about 1h extra running, so there is some scope there. There is also the scope to go faster. Often there'll be tactics at play and decission points to make, whether to add or to try and go faster.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...