UKC

Helmet for climbing & cycling (& possibly skiing)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 geoffwhite 24 Aug 2020

I know this has been brought up before, but not for a while, so here goes...

I'm looking for a helmet I can use for both climbing and cycling (I know they're relatively cheap so people buy both, but I'm looking to cut down on the amount of gear)

Climbing requires the EN12492 standard, cycling requires EN1078, and skiing EN1077.

The old Petzl Meteor 3+ was rated for climbing and cycling (and was super-light and pretty cheap), but is no longer for sale and the newer Meteor is not dual-rated.

There's the Proton Integral Climber: https://www.protos.at/en/produkt/climber/

But it's £250 and I've no idea how much it weighs.

There's Movement Ski 3Tech Alpi, https://www.movementskis.com/helmets.html

Which is about £100 and 360g.

Are there any others currently on the market that I've missed?

Thanks!

tomsan91 24 Aug 2020
In reply to geoffwhite:

Cycling with the skiing helmet will mean you will have a boiling hot head, the climbing helmet looks short of vents for cycling and insulation for skiing. I have a Giro switchblade for my mtb which is quite ventilated but acts like a sweatbox on even the slightest incline compared to my Bell sixer. My POC skiing helmet needs to ear pads taking off as soon as March gets going to avoid the melting lolly effect. 

Basemetal 24 Aug 2020
In reply to geoffwhite:

A personal view, and not one for professionals who may be subject to legislation and liabilities...

I don't have much objective confidence in the applicability of the various helmet standards and I'm quite unlikely to be struck by or strike a standard impact test load. Over the years I've fallen, crashed and wiped out plenty and believe helmets have saved me at least three times. But I'm not so fussy about which helmet, thinking any is better than none. So I'd be driven by the most critical parameter for an acceptable helmet for the three uses.  You know what your risk and activity profile and comfort tolerances are.

My suspicion is that ventilation would dominate for me, and I'd happily wear one of the less bulky and lighter cycling helmets while climbing. (My own Petzl Boreo isn't too far away from cycling levels of ventilation, but I like the look of some of the upper Bells for all rounders).

AlanLittle 24 Aug 2020
In reply to geoffwhite:

> There's Movement Ski 3Tech Alpi ... Which is ... 360g.

I had a Movement ski helmet for years and really liked it, but for climbing I'm not sure 50% increase in weight over a normal modern helmet (Mammut Wall Rider, 230g) would be a worthwhile compromise

Post edited at 17:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...