UKC

Kalymnos - Mastihari Accomodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 26 Aug 2020

Hi Folks,

Trip booked to Kalymnos (fingers crossed), but flight arrives too late for the last ferry crossing from Mastihari so was wondering if anyone had any recommendation for one nights accom at Mastihari or indeed anywhere else similarly convenient for the ferry crossing the following morning.

Too old/nesh to sleep on the beach !

Many thanks

kipper12 26 Aug 2020
In reply to GravitySucks:

A couple of years ago, we stayed at the Andreas stuios, through booking.com.  Room was all we needed for 1 night and about 5 mins from harbour.  We arrived late due to flight delays, and they were great, got us a cold beer to rehydrate.

The late ferry usually waits for the last flight to arrive. 

snoop6060 26 Aug 2020

What time does the flight arrive? I think they often wait for some flights before leaving the port. I've got on the ferry quite late a few times. Around 11pm I think. 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Aug 2020

We have stopped in quite a few down the years, most recently Katerina & Efi Apartments, friendly, clean and on the beach. It is on Booking.c

The ferry 'usually' waits for the last flight in from Athens - but we have found it pleasanter to stop the night on Kos, have a meal and early start the next day, rather than roll into Kaly in the dead of night,

Chris

Mike-W-99 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Especially if a relative of the crew is on that flight as we discovered last time.

OP GravitySucks 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Flight 'scheduled' to arrive in Kos at  10:30, but even allowing for no flight delays and the usual speedy passage through the airport and a kamikaze taxi driver I suspect that its still unlikely that we will make the last ferry.  Sods laws aside, it makes no odds really if we catch the morning ferry and I would prefer to have something booked on the Kos side than see the ferry disappearing across the water as we screetch up to the jetty

OP GravitySucks 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks Chris, I think we are on the same wavelength !

kipper12 26 Aug 2020

It certainly makes life much more civilised 

mike reed 28 Aug 2020

Ferry schedule has just been released for September. Last ferry is 2330. If they know theres a flight with Kalymnos tourists on they will pretty much always wait (no guarantees of course - its a risk you may not want to take).
Watch the wind though, that often throws a massive spanner in the works!
Another vote for Efi and KAterina rooms. Number is 00306937529385

AlanLittle 28 Aug 2020

Will be following this thread with interest as I have the opposite problem: Eurowings just re-booked me from an afternoon to an early morning flight back, so I'll need to take an evening ferry from Kalymnos and spend the night on Kos.

I assume the wise move is to sleep in Mastihari and pre-book an early morning taxi?

Or is there any reason why spending an evening in Kos town might be worthwhile?

Post edited at 11:10
 HannahC 28 Aug 2020
In reply to AlanLittle:

A similar thing happened to me a few years ago. I opted for the evening ferry although some quite a few people opted to catch an early morning ferry. We all made it to the flights. I guess it comes down to how risk adverse you are! 

I can't remember the name of the places I've stayed in Mastihari. A cheap one I stayed in on the edge of town had an impressive number of mosquitos... 

For those debating the pros/cons of catching the last ferry. I've missed the last one twice now... French air traffic control strikes, travelling late in the season (my own fault for not getting hold of a timetable) and the other time I've heard people have issues with is travelling over Easter weekend. 

AlanLittle 28 Aug 2020
In reply to HannahC:

Yeah, I see there's supposed to be a 7am ferry, but that sounds too stressful for a 10am flight

mike reed 28 Aug 2020
In reply to AlanLittle:

The 7am ferry is perfect for the 10am flight, as long as the weather forecast shows suitable winds. Plenty of time to get to the airport. 

earlsdonwhu 28 Aug 2020

Have used Andreas and also Irene apartments several times. Both good...Andreas is nearer the harbour.

baldie 28 Aug 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Another vote for Irene Apartments. Very nice people. Stayed there several times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...