UKC

Edelrid Slider locking karabiners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 28 Aug 2020

Anyone else using any Edelrid krabs that use the slider locking mechanism? For example like on this: https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/locking-carabiners/pure-slider.html And if so has anyone else found with age a problem with them "catching" either making them difficult to unlock and open or, more seriously, not closing properly unless the gate is allowed to fully snap close? 

It's sort of hard to describe - I think something on the slider mechanism has a burr on it which leads to the 'catching'. Normally jiggling it a tiny bit 'releases' it. I've decided some tiny burr or scratch is the most likely cause because I've given them a wash and a bit of WD40 which sorts out most sticky old krab issues (ooeer missus!), but doesn't seem to help here. The krabs are about 6 years old and see plenty of use, and its only affecting I think 2 out the 5 or 6 I have with that locking mechanism. 

chadogrady 28 Aug 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Yes. Same problem. I’ve only had the thing since mid July, it’s barely had any use and it’s stiffer than a stiff thing. Not a happy chappy. 

OP TobyA 28 Aug 2020
In reply to chadogrady:

Hmmm. If it's only a few weeks old and doing I reckon you're completely in your rights to take/send it back and get a new one or a refund! I don't know if it makes you feel any better but some of the Pure Sliders I have still work great.

Do you find sometimes it works just like you would expect it too and other times you have to jiggle it about a fair amount to get it to slide open?

Dell 29 Aug 2020
In reply to TobyA:

WD40 is good for freeing things up, but you really want something like 3-in-1 oil to keep things moving. WD doesn't hang around for very long after doing it's job. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...