UKC

NEWS: Lakes Classic Rock Record Broken (again) by Will Birkett

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Sep 2020

Just under three weeks after Tom Randall set a new Lakes Classic Rock Round record, local lad Will Birkett has bettered it by 12.5 minutes, setting a new unsupported record of 11 hours 50 minutes. The round combines 34 miles of running between 15 multipitch Classic Rock routes, involving 70 pitches up to VS and 4300m of ascent. Will beat Tom's previous record of 12 hours 2 minutes 36 seconds.

Read more
 chris m fisher 02 Sep 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Wow! Absolutely cracking effort (same for Callum & Tom previously). Makes my effort look like a stroll out with a picnic... A really good write-up on FB from Will too.

Brilliant to see this thing getting the attention it most definitely deserves.

Ssshhh 02 Sep 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Weren't all these people formerly climbers? Slippery slope...

Bulls Crack 02 Sep 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Must admit that I don't really get it. Very impressive but personally I can't see the point - same with Nose speed records etc

Quite a feat though so perhaps that is it

Arms Cliff 02 Sep 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome effort from Will!

Wonder what Randall is doing still scratching about in the Lakes, maybe thinking of a Hard Rock round?!

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Why go climbing? What's the point? All the gear, scary moves, hard moves, injuries, long walk-ins. You can call anything pointless. Ultimately it's fun to push the envelope, either personally or collectively. 

In reply to chris m fisher:

> Makes my effort look like a stroll out with a picnic...

You're too modest Chris. As always with these things it's a case of each record building on the last. Yours was a strong benchmark and without it I doubt the current times would be quite as quick.

> Brilliant to see this thing getting the attention it most definitely deserves.

I couldn't agree more. It's certainly got me psyched, so hopefully I'll fit it in/around the Bob Graham next year. 

Hope you've been getting out/about in the weird and wonderful year we've been having.

bouldery bits 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Ssshhh:

> Weren't all these people formerly climbers? Slippery slope...

Yeah. That's what I'm in to these days. Except with basically none of the climbing. And at about a third of the speed. 

Steve Woollard 03 Sep 2020
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Why go climbing? What's the point? All the gear, scary moves, hard moves, injuries, long walk-ins. You can call anything pointless. Ultimately it's fun to push the envelope, either personally or collectively. 

I'm old fashioned, I go climbing because I enjoy it, not to beat someone else. I think it's pointless  particularly when the climbing is easy for these guys

In reply to Steve Woollard:

> I'm old fashioned, I go climbing because I enjoy it, not to beat someone else. I think it's pointless  particularly when the climbing is easy for these guys

I think you're missing the crucial point, which is that they enjoy it too - hence why they're doing it. If they didn't enjoy it I doubt they'd bother. 

As for the assertion that it's pointless particularly as the climbing is easy for them, that's absurd on so many levels that I don't know where to begin.

Derek Ryden 04 Sep 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Just to be clear, is Will the fourth generation in the Bill, Jim and Dave Birkett dynasty, or is there no connection?

Michael Gordon 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Derek Ryden:

That is roughly correct, though not in that order obviously.

Rick Graham 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Derek Ryden:

> Just to be clear, is Will the fourth generation in the Bill, Jim and Dave Birkett dynasty, or is there no connection?

Three generations.

Dave is Wills cousin.

About as simple as it gets in Langdales' geneology  

Michael Gordon 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Three generations.

> Dave is Wills cousin.>

Different generations in age terms though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...