UKC

warning: job at wall in middle east

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dontgothere 11 Sep 2020

Hello all,

You may see a job advert for a wall in a certain popular middle eastern country/state. The wall is advertised as new, but is a new location of a previous business. 

I will not tell you what to do, but I advise that if you value your mental health, you might want to consider your options carefully. Without wishing to be accused of libel, i'm not going to go into detail, but share the fact that they, at the previous wall, employed 3 British instructors, 2 of which lasted 2 months, and the other not much more.

We would never want someone else to go through that, and would do what we could to prevent it happening. I hope this message reaches the right person at the right time.

Apologies for the vague post, but please take my word for it.

In reply to dontgothere:

We need those juicy details

Bring_out_the_pimp 11 Sep 2020
In reply to dontgothere:

Hi. I worked at the wall you're talking about for six months and it was the worst six months of my working life (I'm in my 50's).

I have never been made to cry at work before but my racist bully of a boss and his brother made this happen on several occasions. My girlfriend at the time who was African was racially abused by both men (being called a hooker, prostitute and whore), I had to take down photos on my Facebook because of the disgusting racist comments they were posting. A Philippino colleague was also made to cry on several occasions. 

Yes the money was good, yes the flat was nice and yes the company car was nice before it got taken off me because they didn't know where I'd been with my hooker girlfriend but mentally I was in bits.

Told them I was coming back to the UK for a holiday and didn't go back.

An awful experience and I urge anyone thinking of taking this job to seriously consider your mental health and do your homework. 

Blanche DuBois 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Bring_out_the_pimp:

Can't comment on the veracity of your claims (or even work out which country you're talking about) - but the glaringly obvious sock-puppetry of this post in relation to the OP maybe doesn't best serve your cause, whatever that may really be.

Bring_out_the_pimp 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Blanche DuBois:

Hey. Cheers for your reply. 

I didn't know how else to get it off my chest, so just came out with it.

If you have a suggestion on how I could do it better please send me a message with how I could do it better and I'll take it on board.

Post edited at 08:06
 hms 12 Sep 2020

I know the person in question and also a little of the background. I have absolutely no doubt what-so-ever that the information he gives here is 100% true and accurate. He really went through the wringer. The motivation for the post is I'm sure a very real worry that someone else might be at risk of a similar horrendous experience. The execution may have been a little unsubtle but I can totally vouch for this guy's heart being in the right place - he is a lovely chap.

Blanche DuBois 12 Sep 2020

> Hey. Cheers for your reply. 

> I didn't know how else to get it off my chest, so just came out with it.

Fair enough.

> If you have a suggestion on how I could do it better please send me a message with how I could do it better and I'll take it on board.

Well, it would be helpful to know which country.  Although you say it was well paid, which I'm thinking limits it to one who's name begins with 'D'.

Bring_out_the_pimp 12 Sep 2020

Hey bud. You have mail. 

dontgothere 14 Sep 2020

Responding with the primary intention of bumping this topic, but thought id be more constructive than just saying bump.

The three of us that worked there have stayed in touch to an extent, but this wasn't a co-ordinated effort. We individually saw the Facebook advert, and were similarly disappointed and upset that it was being advertised.

Hard to share the juicey deets, but the other former employee has made a good summary, which i've thanked him for privately. The three of us had a pretty horrific experience with the employer, and it wouldn't be right to knowingly watch someone else make the same mistake.

I have been non specific about who the employer is because this isn't about a bitter dispute between folk, this is a genuine heart felt plea to anyone who has seen the advert to not considering accepting employment from this company.

PaulJepson 14 Sep 2020

The one you're thinking of is not a country. 

Post edited at 16:06
 Cobra_Head 14 Sep 2020

> Yes the money was good, yes the flat was nice and yes the company car was nice ......

Isn't this the problem,with the country as a whole, fine for people without morals or who can turn a blind eye. Speak up and be damned though.

Not starting with D, and it's not Syria either, there's no walls left standing there.

Post edited at 16:03
 marsbar 14 Sep 2020

The issue that Blanche mentioned is that we have no way of knowing if the 3 of you are genuinely 3 people with a real issue, or 1 person who had a bad time at work and is blaming the employer.  Such is the nature of the internet.  

Personally I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, but then I'm not going to work in a climbing wall anyway and particularly not in the Middle East.  

Edit

Just seem that the 3rd person isn't new here, so that helps.  

Post edited at 17:29
 Cobra_Head 14 Sep 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> Just seem that the 3rd person isn't new here, so that helps.  

We're all new here

Bring_out_the_pimp 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Hey, thanks for your comment. 

With a daughter at university and me struggling to get off a zero hours contract i admit openly I was nieve to go out there, my daughter was one of the first to say come home.

Yes I could've ignored everything and taken the cash but two things I won't stand are racists and bullies, my boss and his brother were both.

In reply to marsbar:

Hey. You have mail.

I have never actually met the OP, we worked at the wall at different times but through our experience have messaged each other about said experiences. 

I knew nothing of this thread until a friend sent me a link and as I've said before....wanted to get things off my chest.

It both upsets me and annoys me that this job still gets advertised and i genuinely hope anyone thinking of taking the job reads this first.

Post edited at 23:32
 Big Bruva 15 Sep 2020
In reply to dontgothere:

I'm sorry but you really must give more details about the location of this wall because otherwise you are seeding doubt in people's minds about all indoor climbing venues in the Middle East.

Beirut, Amman, Jerusalem...? Gulf...? Iran...?

Post edited at 09:18
Blanche DuBois 15 Sep 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> The one you're thinking of is not a country. 

True, but, despite the 21 dislikers, my money is still on the wall in question being hosted by a centre of population whose name begins with "D". 

I also tend to agree with the post of "Big Bruva" - it's irresponsible for several posters to come out with "avoid a wall in the Middle East, they're rascist" without stating exactly which wall.  It's similar to me posting that a wall in Sheffield boils up babies and grinds them up to add to the pies they make and sell in their caff (true story, btw) without indicating which wall.  

wintertree 15 Sep 2020
In reply to thread:

A couple of posters might consider leaving a review on "Glassdoor".

This is an example of a company with issues at senior management and below...

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Bigelow-Aerospace-Reviews-E373179.htm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...