UKC

NEWS: Watch Live - British Climbing Cup Championships 2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Sep 2020

This weekend the inaugural British Climbing Cup will take place at Rockcity, Hull, giving British athletes much-needed competition practice post lockdown. The invitational event will be contested by GB Climbing Team members and some of the country's top bouldering talent. A livestream of the semi-finals and finals will be available to watch on the BBC Sport website and BBC iPlayer

Read more
 steve taylor 27 Sep 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I watched the Semi Finals yesterday and it seemed pretty slick. Well done - seeing the close-ups on some problems worked well.

What's the view on the new scoring system - does it open up new strategies? 

John Gresty 28 Sep 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Congratulations to Leah Crane. Very knowledgeable and a good, interesting, lively commentary. I hope she can cover more of these events.

John Gresty

john arran 28 Sep 2020
In reply to steve taylor:

I think it was a good attempt at improving the scoring, but still was not clear enough.

What I really liked, and think is absolutely necessary, is the combining of all tops/zones/attempts into one single score, with the winner being the climber with the highest score.

What I didn't like was the 110 point max per problem - doesn't seem intuitive. Also the 10 points given for free seemed, er, pointless

Anyone care to explain why 100 points for a flash wouldn't make more sense?

In reply to UKC News:

Makes a change from the usual trying to be cool beanie fests that weve come to expect from british climbing comps. Very professional. 

Ian W 29 Sep 2020
In reply to john arran:

> I think it was a good attempt at improving the scoring, but still was not clear enough.

> What I really liked, and think is absolutely necessary, is the combining of all tops/zones/attempts into one single score, with the winner being the climber with the highest score.

> What I didn't like was the 110 point max per problem - doesn't seem intuitive. Also the 10 points given for free seemed, er, pointless

> Anyone care to explain why 100 points for a flash wouldn't make more sense?

Hi John,

It may well make more sense - 100 for a flash, 400 for a perfect score. It was the first time this scoring system had been used, and there was apparently a lot of debate and discussion before choosing the one used, and we judges were asked to provide feedback and thoughts - if it can be improved / made clearer, then no problem. The extra 10 points were "attempt points2 - each attempt beyond the first one cost you a point, the idea being to bring another element of strategy into play. Not perfect, but it was certainly not detrimental to what was a pretty good event - obviously would have been better with spectators, but in the current circumstances, i reckon the organisers should be feeling quite proud of how it all went.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...